Biden drops out/Endorses VP Harris

Dawn Bense

Jul 21, 2024, 2:30:46 PM (yesterday) Jul 21
to manist...@googlegroups.com
Well this just happened

Marty Spaulding

Jul 21, 2024, 3:05:38 PM (yesterday) Jul 21
to Dawn Bense, manist...@googlegroups.com
I wish he hadn't made an endorsement.

This will put a thumb on a number of people that might seek the position. No one wants to piss off the boss.

Several very qualified people are within the administration. They may feel pressured not to toss their hat in the ring.

We need a free open convention. Not a coronation with anyone less than the best able to beat Trump.

--
To Email the Group: manist...@googlegroups.com

Website http://www.manisteecountydemocrats.us
facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1711070132463223/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/manisteedems
---

johnm...@gmail.com

Jul 21, 2024, 3:29:25 PM (yesterday) Jul 21
to Marty Spaulding, Dawn Bense, manist...@googlegroups.com

Marty, thank you for your comment, but we need to get to work NOW to defeat the would-be dictator and elect the first woman of color as President of the USA!

I am a delegate to the DNC in Chicago and I will be thrilled to support the Harris ticket.

John M. Helge

616-915-2403

Johnm...@gmail.com

450 Cedar St

Manistee, MI 49660

image001.jpg
image002.jpg
image003.jpg

William Shryer

Jul 21, 2024, 3:31:00 PM (yesterday) Jul 21
to Dawn Bense, manist...@googlegroups.com
Dems,

This was so predictable. As someone who has worked with various dementias and brain problems over the past 40 years, I can tell you that it was a forgone conclusion because it will only get worse, in three months time there will be a dramatic decline in his cognitive abilities.
Sad that the DNC, Did not see this coming nor did they make any adequate plans to deal with this?
Glad to see President Biden do the right thing!

Bill

William Shryer, DCSW, LCSW
Clinical Consultations, Integrative Health,
Tel: 925-413-2374
Wshry...@gmail.com

johnm...@gmail.com

Jul 21, 2024, 3:35:17 PM (yesterday) Jul 21
to William Shryer, Dawn Bense, manist...@googlegroups.com

Bill:

Thank you for this message.

NOW, We ALL need to get together and work even harder to elect the first woman of color as President of the USA!  We ALL need to work hard to defeat the would-be dictator who will implement a fascist, autocratic, white-Christian Nationalist theocracy if elected.

The Harris ticket will carry on with the positive work that the Biden/Harris administration has accomplished under virtually impossible circumstances.  We need to give her a Democrat majority in the US House and US Senate too!

We need you ALL to get engaged.  When the Harris ticket signs arrive we need to get them in your yards and you need to begin talking today to those undecided voters who were reluctant to vote for Joe because of his age.

John M. Helge

616-915-2403

Johnm...@gmail.com

450 Cedar St

Manistee, MI 49660

Jul 21, 2024, 3:43:17 PM (yesterday) Jul 21
to johnm...@gmail.com, Marty Spaulding, Dawn Bense, manist...@googlegroups.com

While I agree we need to do everything we can to defeat the other guy I have to express my extreme disappointment  yet again.  Why is it as Democrats we can't seem to get our shit together and put forth a candidate that can win?  I'm 51 years old.  I can't remember a time when the choices weren't awful.  Help me and the rest of the non-boomer crowd understand???  Harris ain't it folks.

johnm...@gmail.com

Jul 21, 2024, 3:49:44 PM (yesterday) Jul 21
to Aaron Joseph, Marty Spaulding, Dawn Bense, manist...@googlegroups.com

Please understand that we just do not have time to be fractured as a political party.  Harris will be a great alternative to the Trumplican pro-fascism ticket.  We ALL need to get together and work hard to support Harris and her VP choice.

We will have plenty of time from 2025-2027 to find the best possible candidates for the future.  I believe we have a strong bench of potential candidates who will best represent the future for America and the Democratic Party.

image001.jpg

Marty Spaulding

Jul 21, 2024, 3:52:33 PM (yesterday) Jul 21
to John Helge, William Shryer, Dawn Bense, Manistee Dems
If we have already held the coronation, count me out.

This is not how democracy works.

johnm...@gmail.com

Jul 21, 2024, 4:01:10 PM (yesterday) Jul 21
to William Shryer, Aaron Joseph, Dawn Bense, Marty Spaulding, manist...@googlegroups.com

Bill and Marty:

I am sorry that you feel this could and should have been handled differently, but it is what it is and we must now all get together to support the Democratic ticket for President and VP.  The alternative of having Trump elected and Project 2025 enacted will effectively end our democracy and instill a fascist regime in its absence.

We MUST get engaged to win in November.

John M. Helge

616-915-2403

Johnm...@gmail.com

450 Cedar St

Manistee, MI 49660

Deborah Kimble

Jul 21, 2024, 4:07:42 PM (yesterday) Jul 21
to johnm...@gmail.com, William Shryer, Aaron Joseph, Dawn Bense, Marty Spaulding, manist...@googlegroups.com
I agree John.  And, after Trump’s rambling, visceral speech the issue of age and competency is something that must be raised.

Well this just happened

[...]

William Shryer

Jon Showalter

Jul 21, 2024, 5:30:35 PM (yesterday) Jul 21
to johnm...@gmail.com, William Shryer, Dawn Bense, manist...@googlegroups.com
I can see VP Harris increasing the vote in two vital constituents; women and blacks.  I'm having a harder time trying to see which Biden supporters she might lose.  She didn't participate in pushing Biden out the door.   But why?  Would it be more than the already lost MAGA men?  I'm not sure.  She certainly is no cultural warrior (save reproductive rights) or, as a former prosecutor and AG, likely to be open to being weak on crime.

Although, I do hope she loses the phrase "unburdened by the past"

It gives the Dems the opportunity to pick from a great back bench, some from critical swing states like Gretchen  and Mark Kelly from AZ lept to mine.  The idea of an open convention that rejects a sitting VP makes me shutter.  It won't be one candidate that will be offended when they lose, it could be multiple candidates who take their ball and go home.

ltrucks

Jul 21, 2024, 5:35:22 PM (yesterday) Jul 21
to Dawn Bense, Marty Spaulding, manisteedems
If Harris is bypassed for a white male all hell will break loose. Blacks, women and younger people will stay home. I say Harris and Shapiro.

amanda babcock

Jul 21, 2024, 5:58:08 PM (yesterday) Jul 21
to ltrucks, Dawn Bense, Marty Spaulding, manisteedems
As a young person who saw a lot of flaws with Biden, I pretty much looked at my vote for Biden as “well at least he’s got Harris on the ticket” and I really believe she makes the most sense. She was already on the ticket and we were all going to vote for her anyway. I feel a lot more energized by a strong, articulate woman who I know can handle herself on the debate stage far better than most of the other top choices. Honestly aside for America’s issue with POCs and women, it’s hard for me to see any downsides to her.
Great points too, John.

On Jul 21, 2024 at 3:05 PM, Marty Spaulding <martysp...@gmail.com> wrote:

I wish he hadn't made an endorsement.

This will put a thumb on a number of people that might seek the position. No one wants to piss off the boss.

Several very qualified people are within the administration. They may feel pressured not to toss their hat in the ring.

We need a free open convention. Not a coronation with anyone less than the best able to beat Trump.

On Sun, Jul 21, 2024 at 2:30 PM Dawn Bense <grandma....@gmail.com> wrote:
Well this just happened
<1000001342.jpg>

<1000001341.jpg>

Schindler

Jul 21, 2024, 7:08:31 PM (yesterday) Jul 21
to johnm...@gmail.com, Aaron Joseph, Marty Spaulding, Dawn Bense, manist...@googlegroups.com

JULY 21ST 2024

The Economist today

A Sunday edition of our daily newsletter

Adam Roberts
Digital editor

Hello from London,

Phew. The main reaction, all round, should be relief. Shortly before we were due to send this newsletter, Joe Biden released a statement to say he is standing aside as the Democratic candidate for president in November. This is excellent news, even if it took too long to come. Cheer it. Mr Biden has been a strong president, in my view, and should be proud of what he achieved in his term in the White House. But he should have accepted earlier that he is too old, frail and disliked to have had any reasonable chance of beating Donald Trump. Another candidate, almost any other candidate, will have a better opportunity.

What comes next? Mr Biden has endorsed his vice-president, Kamala Harris, to replace him. Does this mean a coronation is looming for Ms Harris—or might the Democrats somehow organise a speedy, but genuinely competitive contest to see who the strongest candidate might be? I’d much prefer the latter. Other candidates are almost certainly stronger than Ms Harris, whom I met at the very start of her campaign to be the Democratic nominee some four years ago. I was not particularly impressed by her. Perhaps because of my days as Midwest correspondent, I’m fonder of Gretchen Whitmer, the governor of Michigan. She has shown great confidence in facing down attacks from Mr Trump before. I’d also favour Raphael Warnock, a youngish senator in Georgia, for the ticket.

However, it does seem more likely that the party will unite around Ms Harris now. The challenge is to show voters that the party is of one mind, and that a younger candidate (she is 59 years old, to Mr Trump’s 78 years) has a big advantage over an old one, as so many Republicans themselves had previously been arguing. Among Democrats, too, there is a chance to motivate voters to get the first woman elected as American president. That might help to fire up the base.

Give Mr Biden credit for his decision. It’s exceedingly rare for politicians to voluntarily give up power. I can’t imagine Mr Trump ever proving so gracious. I admire politicians who understand that in democracy, for the sake of fostering trust in institutions and processes, there are times when you must concede power—and allow others to benefit. Nelson Mandela did so in South Africa in the late 1990s—I was deeply moved to sit with Mr Mandela a few short years later and to hear him talk about the importance of such values in modern politics. In contested elections there have been admirable candidates, such as Al Gore in 2000, who conceded a loss for the sake of democracy even when they might have fought on. Being willing to renounce power is an extraordinarily admirable trait. We will be publishing our first stories on this developing news later on Sunday.

Kurt H. Schindler, FAICP
Pine Knolls
231 VIking 8 4784

Jul 21, 2024, 7:17:11 PM (yesterday) Jul 21
to manist...@googlegroups.com
Fellow Manistee Democrats:

 We need to come together people, now is the time. We can't be babies
about this, we didn't get our way

so some might say they don't like Kamala Harris, don't think this way.
Republicans act like that, not us Democrats.

We need to Save our Country from Transactional Trump and the Crazy
Republicans.

Good Luck to all of us Democrats.

Sincerly,

Dave Jankwietz

Aaron Joseph

Jul 21, 2024, 7:43:45 PM (yesterday) Jul 21
to Dave Jankwietz, manist...@googlegroups.com

Dave I don't know you but I don't appreciate being called babies.   The fact of the matter is that a huge portion of democrats are pissed that as a party we can't get our act together and present a candidate that can win.  I truly don't believe Harris can win in this climate.  The democratic party has failed its constituents yet again.  4 months left.  This should have happened a year ago.  You older wealthy guys will be fine when the other team wins.  It really frustrating to be in the fight of our lives and have the coach quit.

For those that say Kamala can win-- I hope you are right.  I see a lawyer from CA who hasn't been in the public eye.  OTOH she's a better choice than Newsom.

--
To Email the Group: manist...@googlegroups.com

Website http://www.manisteecountydemocrats.us
facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1711070132463223/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/manisteedems
---

Marty Spaulding

Jul 21, 2024, 7:58:08 PM (yesterday) Jul 21
to Aaron Joseph, Dave Jankwietz, Manistee Dems
This isn't democracy.

She didn't even fare well in the 2020 primaries and was out early.

The voters have had no voice in this. She was picked by one man as VP and apparently by that same man as the nominee.

I can't think of a worse way to pick the "best person for the job".

This is how elections are lost.

I will vote blue, but with very little enthusiasm if this is how business is conducted.

Give the people a voice.

Amanda Beck

Jul 21, 2024, 9:08:55 PM (23 hours ago) Jul 21
to Aaron Joseph, Dave Jankwietz, manist...@googlegroups.com
Aaron and all

I appreciate your very real complaints and I agree that this is something we are doing way too late. That being said if it must be done I think our best bet has to be Kamala. There are a lot of technical reasons why that is but a lot of it being a very large sum of money already raised for the Biden/harris campaign that cannot go to another candidate. I do think Kamala can win, a lot of the youth love her. And she wasn’t just some lawyer from California she was the attorney general a very popular one that made a lot of very popular positive changes for Californians. She’s very much been in the public eye and has a lot of the support from the millennial and gen z voters as well as BIPOC voters. I too feel like we’re in the fight of our lives. That means we need to try our best to enthusiastically rally together to back Kamala and stop all this inward arguing with each other.

We are stronger together!

Harris2024!

Personally I can’t wait for my yard sign! I see a very intelligent and well spoken first female president in America’s future 😃

Amanda Marie Beck, DDS
(989)-284-6808

Sarah Stevenson

Jul 21, 2024, 9:39:21 PM (23 hours ago) Jul 21
to Marty Spaulding, Aaron Joseph, Dave Jankwietz, Manistee Dems
As a Gen X’er, I share some of the frustrations mentioned here. I agree that it is exhausting to be told, cycle after cycle, to suck it up and unite around the DNC’s chosen candidate. HOWEVER. These are not normal times and Trump is not a normal politician. He would’ve steamrolled Biden. Now he’s the old geezer in the race, stuck in the past and pining for a dystopian future very few people want to see take shape. All those age attacks can now be flipped back on him. Couldn’t happen to a nicer guy.

Harris wasn’t my favorite 2020 candidate, but she has the campaign staff, infrastructure, and most importantly money to win an election in four months. It’ll also be a powerful rejoinder to bigots when we elect our first Black woman president, and will buoy the Black women who are the backbone of our party and volunteer corps. With a running mate like Mark Kelly, it could be a very compelling ticket. I also look forward to watching Harris filet Trump in a debate (although I’d bet my paycheck he will find a way to cancel any future debates).

I agree with John: it’s time to get to work and we don’t have long. We can hold our party leadership accountable and demand a more equitable way forward after we’ve secured or, fingers crossed, even strengthened our democracy. The good news is that our bench is talented, deep, and actually looks like the American people.

Sent from Proton Mail for iOS

Deborah Green

Jul 21, 2024, 9:52:42 PM (22 hours ago) Jul 21
to Sarah Stevenson, Aaron Joseph, Dave Jankwietz, Manistee Dems, Marty Spaulding
$47 million in donations to the Harris campaign thru ActBlue in the last 7 hours says a lot. Get on board the train. It is leaving the station!

wi...@jackpine.com

8:47 AM (12 hours ago) 8:47 AM
to amanda babcock, ltrucks, Dawn Bense, Marty Spaulding, manisteedems
First, I would like to say thank you to President Biden for what he has
done in his 50 years of service to our country. He stepped into the
Presidency at a time that leadership was so needed. Now I feel that in
honor of President Biden and knowing that the country comes first with
him - I respect his decision of endorsing Kamala Harris for our next
President. I feel he knows the party best! We have already voted for her
in the primary as we voted for the Biden/Harris ticket. Also, we knew if
something happened to Biden - Harris would be3 stepping in. We need to
pull together and work to keep a felon, con man out of the White House.
As John noted we have a lot of work to do!

The Republicans are going to continue to come at us - we do not need to
fight within ....

It was good to read all the comments and know that no one even if
frustrated in going to walk away from voting Blue!

Mary Becker-Witt
>> [1].
>>
>> --
>> To Email the Group: manist...@googlegroups.com
>>
>> Website http://www.manisteecountydemocrats.us
>> facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1711070132463223/
>> Twitter: https://twitter.com/manisteedems
>> ---
>> Groups "Manistee Dems" group.
>> send an email to manisteedems...@googlegroups.com.
>>
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/manisteedems/CADNGjOuC8MnHakXB37AJfSg_ar11JSTo0Y3Uz%2BNas6xvzF79yw%40mail.gmail.com
>> [2].
>
> --
> To Email the Group: manist...@googlegroups.com
>
> Website http://www.manisteecountydemocrats.us
> facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1711070132463223/
> Twitter: https://twitter.com/manisteedems
> ---
> Groups "Manistee Dems" group.
> an email to manisteedems...@googlegroups.com.
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/manisteedems/3127b51c-b762-43fb-bf1a-54d448fde5dc%40edison
> [3].
>
> --
> To Email the Group: manist...@googlegroups.com
>
> Website http://www.manisteecountydemocrats.us
> facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1711070132463223/
> Twitter: https://twitter.com/manisteedems
> ---
> Groups "Manistee Dems" group.
> an email to manisteedems...@googlegroups.com.
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/manisteedems/E89D11D1-9916-4B2E-9554-D6525C8CD50F%40gmail.com
> [4].
>

> Links:
> ------
> [1]
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/manisteedems/CACU87EgC334iF_pcA%3Dwi7ccGRFhHE-rHf8AAbn7i36MM1KecjA%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&amp;utm_source=footer
> [2]
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/manisteedems/CADNGjOuC8MnHakXB37AJfSg_ar11JSTo0Y3Uz%2BNas6xvzF79yw%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&amp;utm_source=footer
> [3]
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/manisteedems/3127b51c-b762-43fb-bf1a-54d448fde5dc%40edison?utm_medium=email&amp;utm_source=footer
> [4]
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/manisteedems/E89D11D1-9916-4B2E-9554-D6525C8CD50F%40gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer

K.P. Pelleran

8:52 AM (11 hours ago) 8:52 AM
to wi...@jackpine.com, amanda babcock, ltrucks, Dawn Bense, Marty Spaulding, manisteedems
Here we go ...
https://youtu.be/FciQeRGYFlw?si=wH0TJMmtise-dH6s

K.P. Mahoney
Cell: 517-887-0580
Sent from my iPhone

> On Jul 22, 2024, at 8:47 AM, wi...@jackpine.com wrote:
>
> First, I would like to say thank you to President Biden for what he has done in his 50 years of service to our country. He stepped into the Presidency at a time that leadership was so needed. Now I feel that in honor of President Biden and knowing that the country comes first with him - I respect his decision of endorsing Kamala Harris for our next President. I feel he knows the party best! We have already voted for her in the primary as we voted for the Biden/Harris ticket. Also, we knew if something happened to Biden - Harris would be3 stepping in. We need to pull together and work to keep a felon, con man out of the White House. As John noted we have a lot of work to do!
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/manisteedems/fa66f59462acce8163e24ab467467e6a%40jackpine.com.

Vidar Lerum

9:17 AM (11 hours ago) 9:17 AM
to wi...@jackpine.com, amanda babcock, ltrucks, Dawn Bense, Marty Spaulding, manisteedems
Two questions that need to be asked in these unprecedented times:

1 What program or platform should we run on?

2 Who should be the VP candidate?

Trump missed an opportunity when he could not help himself and deviated from a good start on his speech on unity. We need to pick up the unity platform because that’s what the country needs right now. Unity means we need to offer something for the good republicans to vote for.

Kasich and Kinsinger have come out in support for a Biden vote. They are both very good candidates for VP. So, what I suggest is: think differently this time. Think big. Go for a coalition ticket.

This may sound crazy, but I am coming from a Scandinavian point of view. Political parties tend to get stiff and rigorous over time, resisting fresh, revolutionary thought. It’s time to throw out the old DNC royalty.

> On Jul 22, 2024, at 08:47, wi...@jackpine.com wrote:
>
> First, I would like to say thank you to President Biden for what he has done in his 50 years of service to our country. He stepped into the Presidency at a time that leadership was so needed. Now I feel that in honor of President Biden and knowing that the country comes first with him - I respect his decision of endorsing Kamala Harris for our next President. I feel he knows the party best! We have already voted for her in the primary as we voted for the Biden/Harris ticket. Also, we knew if something happened to Biden - Harris would be3 stepping in. We need to pull together and work to keep a felon, con man out of the White House. As John noted we have a lot of work to do!
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/manisteedems/fa66f59462acce8163e24ab467467e6a%40jackpine.com.

Schindler

9:17 AM (11 hours ago) 9:17 AM
to Marty Spaulding, Aaron Joseph, Dave Jankwietz, Manistee Dems
I recall, back in the Michigan Primary voting for Biden-Harris.  The word of note in that sentence is "Harris" -- included in whom I voted for.  So I, at least, feel I had a voice in this.

More so than in any previous election I was giving a great deal of thought to the Vice President on the ticket, thinking that she may be the president.  I am comfortable with that.

Kurt H. Schindler, FAICP
Pine Knolls
231 VIking 8 4784

9:18 AM (11 hours ago) 9:18 AM
to Amanda Beck, Aaron Joseph, Dave Jankwietz, manist...@googlegroups.com
Do not wait (if you want).  Attached is a quick fix for your existing Biden-Harris yard sign.

Kurt H. Schindler, FAICP
Pine Knolls
231 VIking 8 4784

9:42 AM (11 hours ago) 9:42 AM
to Vidar Lerum, wi...@jackpine.com, amanda babcock, ltrucks, Dawn Bense, Marty Spaulding, manisteedems
Kinzinger and Kasich may have reached some level of enlightenment regarding imbecile 45, but don't forget they both ran and were elected as voodoo economics racial injustice republicans. Furthermore, there's nothing to be gained trying to compromise with the party of no.  They offer nothing in return.

jane kott

4:57 PM (3 hours ago) 4:57 PM
to Schindler, Amanda Beck, Aaron Joseph, Dave Jankwietz, manist...@googlegroups.com
I am thrilled. I think this is the absolute right time for Kamala as Trump is now a convicted felon. She's got experience as a candidate....prosecutor, senator, running in the presidential primary, VP debates, campaigning and of course as our current VP.  And she's so much younger than the other candidate and now he looks even older. Big advantages in so many areas.
I've been energized. Now we have a campaign!!!! It's my dream to see a woman as POTUS before I leave this earth.
Jane

Get Outlook for Android

5:51 PM (2 hours ago) 5:51 PM
to jane kott, Schindler, Amanda Beck, Aaron Joseph, Dave Jankwietz, manist...@googlegroups.com
Harris, picked by the President as the person one heartbeat away from having to lead the country more than 4 years ago, turns out to be his pick to take his place. What a notion. After Roosevelt came Truman, Eisenhower - Nixon, Kennedy - Johnson, Johnson - Humphrey, Reagon - Bush, Clinton - Gore. And although not every one was a winner, for over 70 years the VP has taken up the reigns. And she is by far the best candidate possible with such a short window to organize.

I have gotten text with a lot of fretting. Biden won't do, Harris won't do and it is time to stop whining and WORK for it. If Democrats do not get out the vote then it is only on ourselves, sitting around moaning and complaining instead of learning how to organize, knocking on doors, making sure that every registered Democrat and some who aren't get their vote counted. Harris knows the current administration, has been introduced to hundreds of party and governmental operatives at home and abroad, and has likely learned a lot that we cannot even fathom. She has had an astute, dedicated, widely skilled person to help her and that was Joe Biden and his team.

Elon Musk will put billions of dollars behind a candidate who can let him and other companies do whatever they want. Pollution, the cost of business. Unfair labor practices, just have to get it done for less. But the Democratic party, its leaders, have a better plan, a calling to social justice and an understanding that a person who works deserves to get more of the pie.  We haven't been perfect but the alternative is alarmingly horrid. Project 2025, which is the way forward with a new Trump administration needs to be stopped.

Analysis is interesting to share with friends over drinks, but the time we have is for action, for pulling together and for seeing that success means Mike Johnson is no longer the Speaker of the House.