Public comments about redistricting are needed immediately

Margaret Raddatz

Oct 6, 2021, 8:38:40 AM10/6/21
to manist...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

We need folks across the state advocating for fair maps and signing up to give public comment to the MICRC.

On Monday, the Commission completed their latest draft of the state Senate map. This map favors Republicans, by as much as 6.5% in some measures. In a state that leans Dem, 6.5% is absolutely a disproportionate advantage to Republicans and must be fixed.

We need to give speak up IMMEDIATELY and advocate for fair maps that level the playing field.

There are 3 ways to do this.
1. Comment directly on their latest state Senate map using this link: https://michigan.mydistricting.com/legdistricting/comments/plan/199/23
2. Sign up to speak remotely at the Commission's meeting this week. They are meeting daily beginning at 9 AM.
To sign up to give public comments remotely via Zoom for Wednesday, use this link: https://www.research.net/r/DXGXVZK.
3. Sign up to speak at one of the public hearings later in the month. To be kept up-to-date on those hearings, sign up here: https://forms.gle/9EWXDffr8z1XVcpW6

Judy Cunningham

Oct 8, 2021, 2:38:57 PM10/8/21
to Peggy Raddatz, manist...@googlegroups.com
I don’t get this.  The purpose of the nonpartisan redistricting committee was to prevent partisan redistricting.  This may be as good as it gets considering the urban and rural areas of the state vote differently.  I’m not sure what to say if I was to write an article for the paper or for the Commission.

--
Website http://www.manisteecountydemocrats.us
facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1711070132463223/

David Berns

Oct 8, 2021, 4:17:37 PM10/8/21
to Judy Cunningham, Peggy Raddatz, manist...@googlegroups.com
I agree with Judy.  To get a better balance for Dems, districts in SE Michigan would need to be connected to areas very far away.   The districts would be very strung out and most counties would be split up to connect them to the Detroit area.  The problem is the result of long term segregation that concentrated minorities in large urban areas.

Bonnie Garbrecht

Oct 8, 2021, 4:28:36 PM10/8/21
to David Berns, Judy Cunningham, Peggy Raddatz, manist...@googlegroups.com
There is one promising note. I attended an informational meeting yesterday in Onekama and the most recent iteration of the MI Senate map extends right along the lakeshore from Benzie south to include Muskegon. On the maps there are bubbles reflective of comments citizens have made with their names attached. I believe that they are receiving a great deal more citizen input than ever before. Bonnie Garbrecht