Join Us to Celebrate the Legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr--January 16, Vogue Theatre!

Jeanne Butterfield

Jan 8, 2023, 11:23:48 AM1/8/23
to Manistee Dems

Please join us to

CELEBRATE MARTIN LUTHER KING Jr. DAY

JANUARY 16, 2023

The Manistee Area Racial Justice & Diversity Initiative (MARJDI) is partnering with the Vogue Theatre to engage members of our community in honoring the life and legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.   We hope you will join us!

THE BUTLER

FREE  film showings at 10 am and 7 pm at the Vogue Theatre

image.png

This film tells the story of Cecil Gaines, a White House butler who served eight American presidents over three decades. The film traces the dramatic changes that swept American society during this time, from the civil rights movement to Vietnam and beyond, and how those changes affected this man's life and family.

The 10 am showing of The Butler will be followed by several Manistee area students reading their essays and poetry and displaying their art, reflecting on the life and legacy of Dr. King and offering ways that we can continue his work for racial and social justice.

 Service Projects:  MARJDI is encouraging community members to support a variety of local service programs on Martin Luther King, Jr. Day, by donating to these organizations directly or at the film events on January 16.  Organizations highlighted by MARJDI for donations this year include:  CHOICES of Manistee County,  Manistee County Habitat for Humanity,  Manistee Friendship Society, Manistee County Senior Nutrition Program (formerly Meals on Wheels), and  Safe Harbor.

MARJDI is a fiscally-sponsored project of the Manistee County Community Foundation.  You can reach MARJDI at maniste...@gmail.com and at MARJDI.org or on Facebook at MARJDI.

MLKing Day--January 16, 2023.pdf