FW: Redistricting Update 10.11

johnm...@gmail.com

Oct 12, 2021, 6:57:00 PM10/12/21
to Manist...@googlegroups.com

Manistee Democrats:

The email below provides you with direct links to the current Michigan State Representative, State Senate, and US Congressional Districts under consideration by the Michigan Citizens Reapportionment Committee (MICRC).

I have reviewed each of these and provided feedback using the links.  You can do the same.

Here are my observations and concerns:

  1. US Congressional District
    1. Manistee County as a whole will remain in the extremely large US Congressional District that includes the entire UP and the upper third of the lower peninsula.
    2. Manistee County will be at the extreme southern and western border of this district.
    3. I believe that this is the best outcome we can expect at this time.
  2. Michigan State Senate District
    1. I am concerned that in one of the maps Manistee County is split with two different State Senators representing our county.
    2. All the Senate maps for this district now include the City of Muskegon which has historically been strong Democrat, but we will have to overcome the strong Republican rural areas of Manistee, Mason, Oceana, and Muskegon Counties.
    3. This Senate District is significantly different from the one Vanderwall currently serves.
  3. Michigan State House District
    1. I am concerned that in all the maps Manistee County is split with two different State Representatives representing our county.

                                                  i.    I have entered my concerns and recommend others follow suit.

    1. The split in Manistee County appears to be following the existing public school district lines only.  No alignment with County Commission Districts or Townships.
    2. All the maps show significantly different from the current District O’Malley serves.

                                                  i.    In all three maps, O’Malley who lives in Lake Ann, would not be representing Manistee County in 2022.

John M. Helge

616-915-2403

Johnm...@gmail.com

450 Cedar St

Manistee, MI 49660

Oct 12, 2021, 8:45:48 PM10/12/21
to johnm...@gmail.com, Manist...@googlegroups.com

Back in the 1970, this area had a rep named Ed Giese. When redistricting was done in 1980 he no longer represented the bulk of his then district.  So he moved and ran and won.

--
Website http://www.manisteecountydemocrats.us
facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1711070132463223/

image002.jpg