Merge tags with SMTP headers

Oscar

Jun 20, 2012, 8:57:38 AM6/20/12
to mandrill-a...@googlegroups.com
Hi everybody,

I need to send "welcome" and "reset-password" e-mails. I am using Mandrill and I would like to use SMTP approach. My question is:

Is it possible to use a template with a verbose text and substitute just a few marks or tags (name, login, confirmation link, etc) with custom values using SMTP headers?

If the answer is NOT.

What is the best aproach? The REST API perhaps?

Thank you very much and excuse my deficient english.

Kaitlin

Jun 22, 2012, 5:29:00 PM6/22/12
to mandrill-a...@googlegroups.com
Merge tags aren't supported for SMTP. If you want to have most of your content stored in the template and replace multiple pieces of information for each recipient, you'll need to use the API. You can use merge tags, and set a default value and then per-recipient values using global_merge_vars and merge_vars: http://mandrillapp.com/api/docs/messages.html#method=send-template

In your template, you might have something like this:

Dear *|NAME|*,

Your username is *|USERNAME|*

You'd then use global_merge_vars to set a default value, and merge_vars to set recipient-specific information .  In the above example, the names of the merge_vars are NAME and USERNAME.

Oscar

Jun 26, 2012, 4:45:14 AM6/26/12
to mandrill-a...@googlegroups.com
Thank you very much for your help