Schema markup

Andreas Andrews

May 18, 2023, 3:01:46 PM5/18/23
to Manchester WordPress User Group
Hi everyone,

It's been a while for me being here, but also a while since schema was discussed (circa 2016 at a glance).

I'm working on adding schema for a client who sells a product (WooCommerce) however it's been suggested by my client that it's best not to interfere with the current Feefoo reviews and ratings rich results that are appearing nicely, and not to add e-commerce schema (ie. variable price etc.).

From what I can gather that leaves 'local businesses', 'web page' , 'about page' or perhaps 'article' schema that I could work with.

What is the best way to either write or ideally generate schema. Google's schema markup helper might work, but seems clunky. I would consider using a plugin by all means if it has low performance impact and big benefits.

Philip Valentino did give an example in 2016: https://wordpress.org/plugins/wp-seo-structured-data-schema/ but I wanted to check if there are any solid and more current recommendations for what kind of schema to add, how to add it, and maybe plugins that you think look good. (The example above hasn't been updated in over 6 months).

Thank you,

Andreas

Mike Little

May 19, 2023, 4:46:51 AM5/19/23
to Manchester WordPress WordPress User Group (MWUG)
I don't know whether it fits your specific needs but this plugin https://wpschema.com/ from Brainstorm Force seems pretty good. I used their pro version for something pretty specific (https://schema.org/transcript) that wasn't covered by any other ones I could se.

Let us know how you get on.
--
See the group blog at https://mwug.uk

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Manchester WordPress User Group" group.

Andreas Andrews

Jun 21, 2023, 11:51:43 AM6/21/23
to Manchester WordPress User Group
Thanks Mike,

As an interim update (I've been working on more pressing tasks on this particular client site) I've decided to firstly try out a free plugin to begin with, whilst perhaps suggesting the WPschema.com (Brainstorm Force) plugin you suggested seems pretty good. I thought I'd see if there was a free version, but perhaps even more useful than that is the free Schema course which I might enrol into next.

So the plugin I've hastily opted to try out (based on a recommendation from an article, 4.5 star in the WP plugin repo. and as it was updated a week ago - better than 3+ months like some of the alternatives) is:

Schema & Structured Data for WP & AMP By Magazine3

https://wordpress.org/plugins/schema-and-structured-data-for-wp/

I've now also just noticed the plugin I was about to disregard as it hasn't been updated for months, is actually by Brainstorm Force. So maybe I will try this one as well:

I thought I'd share the first plugin in case you spot that it is not a good choice, but now I've found the Brainstorm Force plugin in the repo, I might have a think and actually try that one first instead.

I plan to post at least another update to let you know how I get on with it now I've dedicated some time to learn & work on schema.

In other news (totally unrelated but affecting my pace with WP work) I've now finally landed a full-time job, offering the structure and financial security I kind of needed to for longer term security and happiness. I'll be able to finally set time aside to work on personal WP and other projects (or maybe gaming & photography) :)

Take care,

Andreas