Next Round of SciFi Books

mcrsf madlab

Aug 23, 2015, 12:59:34 PM8/23/15
to Manchester Science Fiction Book Club

Hi Everbody!

We hope you are enjoying Gemsigns by Stephanie Saulter for our meeting on 15th Sept.

We have decided upon our next round of books, as follows:

20th October – Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel (384 p)
17th November – The Martian by Andy Weir (384 p)
15th December – The Sparrow by Mary Doria Russell (408 p)
19th January – Rocannon’s World by Ursula Le Guin (128 p) – currently only available as used/ebook

Station Eleven – Emily St. John Mandel (384 p)

The New York Times Bestseller, Longlisted for the Baileys Women’s Prize for Fiction 2015, Shortlisted for the Arthur C. Clarke Award 2015, 2014 National Book Awards Finalist, 2015 PEN/Faulkner Award Finalist. What was lost in the collapse: almost everything, almost everyone, but there is still such beauty. One snowy night in Toronto famous actor Arthur Leander dies on stage whilst performing the role of a lifetime. That same evening a deadly virus touches down in North America. The world will never be the same again. Twenty years later Kirsten, an actress in the Travelling Symphony, performs Shakespeare in the settlements that have grown up since the collapse. But then her newly hopeful world is threatened. If civilization was lost, what would you preserve? And how far would you go to protect it?

The Martian – Andy Weir (384 p)

The best-seller behind the major film from Ridley Scott, starring Matt Damon and Jessica Chastain. I’m stranded on Mars. I have no way to communicate with Earth. I’m in a Habitat designed to last 31 days. If the Oxygenator breaks down, I’ll suffocate. If the Water Reclaimer breaks down, I’ll die of thirst. If the Hab breaches, I’ll just kind of explode. If none of those things happen, I’ll eventually run out of food and starve to death. So yeah. I’m screwed.

The Sparrow – Mary Doria Russell (408 p)

ONE OF ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY’S TEN BEST BOOKS OF THE YEAR “A NOTABLE ACHIEVEMENT . . . Russell shows herself to be a skillful storyteller who subtly and expertly builds suspense”. –USA Today “AN EXPERIENCE NOT TO BE MISSED . . . If you have to send a group of people to a newly discovered planet to contact a totally unknown species, whom would you choose? How about four Jesuit priests, a young astronomer, a physician, her engineer husband, and a child prostitute-turned-computer-expert? That’s who Mary Doria Russell sends in her new novel, The Sparrow. This motley combination of agnostics, true believers, and misfits becomes the first to explore the Alpha Centuri world of Rakhat with both enlightening and disastrous results. . . . Vivid and engaging . . . An incredible novel”.

Rocannon’s World – Ursula Le Guin (128 p) – currently only available as used/ebook

SCIENCE FICTION-GENERATIONS AGO THE STARLORDS HAD LANDED ON THE DISTANT PLANET OF FORMALHAUT II TO LEVY TRIBUTE.BUT NOW THE LEAGUE OF ALL WORLDS IS THREATENED BY THE ULTIMATE ENEMY.AND THE LONE HUMAN SURVIVOR, ROCANNON, IN ALLIANCE WITH THE THREE NATIVE RACES OF THE PLANET, MUST LEAD A DESPERATE BATTLE AGAINST AN ALIEN FOE.