Personal portable human waste devices - climbing/mountaineering

Reed Waite

Mar 24, 2021, 12:47:10 PM3/24/21
to Managing Human Waste in the Wild
I'm searching for latest on individuals packing out poop (and related human blood, bladder, bowel output) from mountains and climbing areas - ice, canyon, etc. for next edition of climbing book. Your help especially appreciated in two areas:

Personal Devices: Pack out bags/equipment like WAG (Cleanwaste), Biffy, Restop 2, Double Doody, Big Wall Can, Clean Mountain Can;
Feminine Urinary Devices (FUDs) like SheWee, GoGirl, Pstyle, Lady J, LadyP, Freshette, Pibella

Mandatory Pack Out Mountains / Areas: Mts. Denali, Rainier, Shasta, Whitney;
Paria Canyon, Virgin River (Zion NP)

You'll notice my limited (U.S. West Coast) examples.  If you have info to share on major climbing areas anywhere on planet or knowledge of other ways individuals can responsibly pack out their bodily waste in the wild, please reply.

Many thanks,

Reed Waite
Contributor - 10th edition Chapter 7, Leave No Trace
Mountaineering: The Freedom of the Hills, Mountaineers Books

Roger Robinson

Mar 24, 2021, 10:19:37 PM3/24/21
to Managing Human Waste in the Wild
Hi Reed,

Thanks for your questions.
Another disposal bag with very good success in third world countries is the PeePoo bag. "The Peepoo is the brainchild of architecture professor Anders Wilhelmson at the Royal Institute of Technology in Stockholm. He plans to sell the bags for 2-3 cents each, according to a March 1 New York Times (NYT) story. Wilhelmson launched the project in 2005 and this past October, a large scale pilot of 20,000 people commenced in Nairobi, Kenya".
More on PeePoo:

Here are a couple international locations that do a small portion in pack out.
Aoraki/Mt Cook NP New Zealand:

Natural and National Parks in Japan including the Japanese Alps:
(see 4.5)

I hope more folks will respond...
Cheers, Roger Robinson

If you wish to receive a summary of "Abridged Email" of new activity each day, you can do so by going into "Edit My Membership" and select this option.

---

Roger Robinson
Manager: "Managing Human Waste in the Wild"

Become part of the backcountry solution join our Google Group:

Co-Founder of the Sustainable Summits Initiative
including Sustainable Summits Conferences (2010, 2014, 2016, 2018)

http://sustainablesummits.org

"Human waste is a serious issue affecting our wild places and one we have the means to solve."

Reed Waite

Mar 27, 2021, 9:22:34 AM3/27/21
to Managing Human Waste in the Wild
Roger, thanks.  Good info I'm pursuing.

Noticed group heading states: Welcome to Managing Human Wild in the Wild Goggle Group.  I love typos myself.

All the beast!

Roger Robinson

Mar 27, 2021, 1:22:41 PM3/27/21
to Managing Human Waste in the Wild
Oops, thanks for the correction, it has been updated.
Cheers, Roger