Educational Broadside

Kathleen Meyer

Sep 19, 2013, 1:43:59 AM9/19/13
to managing-human-w...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

Introducing—ta da!—our trailhead poster, with greetings from Kristine Route and Kathleen Meyer. Kristine works with AmeriCorps on the Kenai Peninsula in Alaska, and Kathleen lives in Montana and is the author of the international bestselling outdoor guide, How to Shit in the Woods: An Environmentally Sound Approach to a Lost Art.

Our recent collaboration has produced an educational broadside, The Pooster, aptly named by Kristine, and it is our gift to wild places. We’re offering the generic version FREE via email as a digital file, ready to print at a copy shop. We can also customize it for your locale. Thus far, it’s available in English and is already working its magic in Alaska, Montana, and Idaho, in National Parks, at U.S. Forest Service wilderness access points (trailheads, boat launches, backcountry cabins) and in outdoor equipment stores, tourist shops, and visitor centers.

Intended as an educational nudge, The Pooster serves as a first line of defense for Mother Nature, enlightening folks venturing into areas beyond established restrooms and places where human-waste management remains less than a suggestion. The Pooster is also the perfect pre-trip reminder, when partnered with sales of outdoor toilet products: the double-bagging pack-it-out systems, backpacker trowels, and feminine urinary funnels. Or, just tape one to the inside of a resort-town bathroom door, where it has a captive audience!

At every opportunity in this mad world, we humans seek out wild and woolly places to regain our sanity. Mother Nature revives our bedraggle spirits, and thus we happily jump to bolster hers. The wider story of The Pooster’s origins and several customized versions reside at www.thepooster.com. You can request a digital Pooster file in pdf or jpeg. We would appreciate knowing where they are becoming useful, so please drop us an email if you go to print.

Don’t miss meeting Kristine, on Kathleen’s blog, Shooting the Shit.

Here’s wishing you many wild adventures in a pristine Great Outdoors . . .

Kristine Route

Kathleen Meyer

Generic Pooster (see larger versions on the Pooster Web site above)

Roger Robinson

Sep 19, 2013, 2:37:35 PM9/19/13
to Managing Human Waste in the Wild
Good work!!

Roger

If you wish to receive a summary of "Abridged Email" of new activity each day, you can do so by going into "Edit My Membership" and select this option.

---

Roger Robinson
Manager: "Managing Human Waste in the Wild"
Mountaineering Ranger, Denali National Park

Become part of the backcountry solution join our Google Group:

Sustainable Summits Conference:

http://www.americanalpineclub.org/p/sustainable_summits

Information about the Exit Strategies conference including free podcast presentation downloads:

"Human waste is a serious issue affecting our wild places and one we have the means to solve."

Kathleen Meyer

Sep 20, 2013, 2:19:22 PM9/20/13
to managing-human-w...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Roger!

I’ve now sent out digital files to North Dakota, Illinois, Nevada, and Colorado, as well as to more spots in Montana and Alaska. The enthusiasm is wild.

Adam Baylor

Sep 20, 2013, 2:34:45 PM9/20/13
to managing-human-w...@googlegroups.com
Could I get a file for printing? I work for the Mazamas in Portland.

Best
Adam

Kathleen Meyer

Sep 20, 2013, 2:41:59 PM9/20/13
to managing-human-w...@googlegroups.com
Adam, of course! Send me your email address and I’ll pass along the files and instructions.

Kathleen

On Sep 20, 2013, at 11:23, Kathleen Meyer <inthe...@montana.com> wrote:

Thanks Roger!

I’ve now sent out digital files to North Dakota, Illinois, Nevada, and Colorado, as well as to more spots in Montana and Alaska. The enthusiasm is wild.

On Sep 19, 2013, at 12:37 PM, Roger Robinson wrote:

Good work!!

Roger

On Wed, Sep 18, 2013 at 9:43 PM, Kathleen Meyer <inthe...@montana.com> wrote:
[...]

Corinne Conner

Sep 20, 2013, 5:08:43 PM9/20/13
to managing-human-w...@googlegroups.com

Thank you so much for sharing this!!

What would be entailed in customizing the Pooster for a specific location? I am currently working at the Grand Canyon and would be interested in a desert-environment take on the Pooster.

Cori Conner

US Park Ranger - Grand Canyon National Park

You do your needed work out of love, the love that dares not speak its name, the love of spareness, beauty, open space, clear skies, and flowing streams, grizzly bear and mountain lion, wolf pack and twelve pack, of wilderness and wanderlust and primal human freedom. ~ Edward Abbey

Corinne Conner

206.459.3732

Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2013 22:43:59 -0700
From: inthe...@montana.com
To: managing-human-w...@googlegroups.com
Subject: [Managing Human Waste in the Wild] Educational Broadside

Kathleen Meyer

Sep 20, 2013, 5:49:36 PM9/20/13
to managing-human-w...@googlegroups.com
Cori, hi!

Have you been to the Pooster Website yet and seen the different versions? Perhaps contact me directly and we can chat about possibilities.

Kathleen Meyer
Author of How to Shit in the Woods
P.O. Box 342
Victor, MT 59875