Technology Demonstration Tour - Western North America - Looking for interested agencies

Geoff Hill

Dec 27, 2014, 6:37:50 PM12/27/14
to managing-human-w...@googlegroups.com
Dear Managing Human Waste in the Wild Google Group

I am organizing a tour of Western North American to demonstrate two pieces technology which can greatly reduce the costs and hazards associated with the management of human waste at public remote sites.   Both pieces of technology source-separate urine from fecal matter.  The benefits of source separating urine from fecal matter were uncovered during my PhD on this topic from 2009-2013.  I attach two key publications that came from this work.   Below I summarize some of the benefits of source separating urine from fecal matter:

  • Urine is largely pathogen free, flows by gravity, and can be treated by soil in a simple septic like field or by a soil filled tube.
  • Urine is the majority of human waste mass and onsite treatment of urine eliminates the majority of waste
  • The majority of toilet odor is ammonia from urine, and when diverted immediately to soil, odor is dramatically improved
  • Urine-diverted fecal matter can be consumed, stabilized, and largely sanitized by native invertebrates (worms and bugs), no bulking agent is needed.
  • When no bulking agent is added, and invertebrates consume fecal matter, there is such little solid waste residue that disposal becomes very infrequent (once every 10 years or more).
  • Occupational hazards are greatly reduced due to the stabilization of fecal matter, infrequent O&M requirements, and dramatically reduced ammonia.
I am marketing two urine diversion systems.
  • BTF: Below-the-Floor system is powered by the door opening and closing.  PDF attached.
    • This system must come with a Pan Abode pre-built kit structure.
  • BTW: Behind-the-Wall system is powered by a foot pedal.  PDF attached.
    • Can be plugged into one of our building kits or you can design you own structure quite easily.

I would like demonstrate this mechanical urine-diversion technology at your agency's offices (I swear I won't poop into it without unanimous encouragement).

Timeline: January-March 2015 (anywhere within this time frame)

RSVP: please let me know if you are interested in having me stop in and demonstrate.  1-2 hours.  Everything fits on a small dolly.

Established North American Toilet Facilities to date:
  • Glacier Bay National Park - Campground
  • Squamish, BC, Smoke Bluffs Climbing Park (most popular climbing area in Canada)
  • Whistler, BC, Cal Check Campground
  • Dehlongia GA, Appalachian Trail
  • Private residence on Vancouver Island
Established European Toilet Facilities to date (BTW only):
  • >50 private residences in France
  • 5 public facilities in Poland
Happy New Year and I'm looking forward to visiting.

Geoff Hill, PhD
ToiletTechSolutions.com  (public sales)
NotACompostingtoilet.com (residential sales)

TTS Waterless UD Toilet _BTF_ 2014.pdf
TTS Waterless UD Toilet "BTW" 2014.pdf
Hill and Henry 2013 Wilderness Waste.pdf
Hill and Baldwin 2012 Vermicomposting toilets.pdf

Duane Fizor

Dec 27, 2014, 7:19:30 PM12/27/14
to managing-human-w...@googlegroups.com

Hahaha, hey Geoff. Watch yourself, I might be able to drum-up unanimous encouragement at the drop of a hat. J

I’m not in a position to state 100% that you should include Kananaskis Country as a stop-over, but I’ll be working towards it.

I’ll be in touch,

Duane

parks-logo-grey-dark

Duane Fizor | Regional Information Content Coordinator

Parks Division – Kananaskis Country | Environment and Sustainable Resource Development

Suite 201 – 800 Railway Avenue, Canmore, AB | T1W 1P1

C: 403-609-9709 | W: albertaparks.ca

If you wish to receive a summary of "Abridged Email" of new activity each day, you can do so by going into "Edit My Membership" and select this option.

---

Jose Linnebrink

Dec 29, 2014, 10:21:48 AM12/29/14
to managing-human-w...@googlegroups.com
Estimado Geoff
Agradezco la información enviada, es un material muy interesante de conocer.

Reciba un feliz año nuevo.
Atte.
José Linnebrink

 Jose Guillermo Linnebrink Ulloa
 Profesional Unidad Estudio
 Corporación Nacional Forestal

 Avda. Bulnes 0309 4° piso
 94439499
 www.conaf.cl

Connors, Marina

Jan 20, 2015, 2:13:49 PM1/20/15
to managing-human-w...@googlegroups.com
Geoff,

Will you be coming to the Golden area again?  I would like to see a demonstration.  I haven't polled my peers yet but I think there would be a few others interested.  I'm wondering if you have set up any demos around Golden that I could go to.

Also, I was asked to be a mentor to the student chapter of Engineers Without Borders at University of Colorado-Boulder and think they would be interested in seeing your demo too.  Again, I think the easiest way to coordinate would be if you have something planned in the area, I could let them know about it.

Hope you are well,

Marina

______________________
Marina S. Connors, PE
Civil Engineer
National Park Service - Intermountain Regional Office
12795 W. Alameda Pkwy Lakewood, CO 80228
_______________________

Geoff Hill

Jan 20, 2015, 2:18:42 PM1/20/15
to managing-human-w...@googlegroups.com, Marina_...@nps.gov
Hi Marina,

We have an installation with the USDA FS south of Glenwood Springs this spring.  I will let you know the date range and then try to book some time to bring the key pieces for demonstration through your office and with the University.  Thank you for the opportunity.

Geoff

Ellen Lapham

Jan 20, 2015, 4:04:27 PM1/20/15
to managing-human-w...@googlegroups.com
Hi Geoff,
Do you have Northern CA/USFS region 5 on your itinerary? Specifically, the Forests in the Sierra including Region 5 and adjoining forests: Tahoe, Lake Tahoe, Humboldt-Toiyabe, Plus and Eldorado. We need this info.
Ellen
Note: I am about 8 minutes from the Tahoe NF HQ.

Ellen Lapham
co-director, Sustainable Summits Initiative

                  Ellen Lapham

The
 RARE snowy view from Monte Vista towards the
Great Bear Lake
130.5 degrees due north to the Arctic Circle,
Canada's Northwest Territories
12.2013
PRAY FOR RAIN AND SNOW IN 2015
ela...@aimhigh1.com
El Palacio de la Rana
15215 Monte Vista Drive
Nevada City, CA  95959

Geoff Hill

Jan 20, 2015, 4:13:13 PM1/20/15
to managing-human-w...@googlegroups.com, Ellen Lapham
Ellen,

I’d love to stop in and demonstrate the technology.  Who are the contacts in those areas?  The tech is very well suited to those climates.

Geoff

                  Ellen Lapham

<GH-snow-12.07.2013-web.jpg>