Dear Managing Human Waste in the Wild Google Group
I am organizing a tour of Western North American to demonstrate two pieces technology which can greatly reduce the costs and hazards associated with the management of human waste at public remote sites. Both pieces of technology source-separate urine from fecal matter. The benefits of source separating urine from fecal matter were uncovered during my PhD on this topic from 2009-2013. I attach two key publications that came from this work. Below I summarize some of the benefits of source separating urine from fecal matter:
- Urine is largely pathogen free, flows by gravity, and can be treated by soil in a simple septic like field or by a soil filled tube.
- Urine is the majority of human waste mass and onsite treatment of urine eliminates the majority of waste
- The majority of toilet odor is ammonia from urine, and when diverted immediately to soil, odor is dramatically improved
- Urine-diverted fecal matter can be consumed, stabilized, and largely sanitized by native invertebrates (worms and bugs), no bulking agent is needed.
- When no bulking agent is added, and invertebrates consume fecal matter, there is such little solid waste residue that disposal becomes very infrequent (once every 10 years or more).
- Occupational hazards are greatly reduced due to the stabilization of fecal matter, infrequent O&M requirements, and dramatically reduced ammonia.
I am marketing two urine diversion systems.
- BTF: Below-the-Floor system is powered by the door opening and closing. PDF attached.
- This system must come with a Pan Abode pre-built kit structure.
- BTW: Behind-the-Wall system is powered by a foot pedal. PDF attached.
- Can be plugged into one of our building kits or you can design you own structure quite easily.
I would like demonstrate this mechanical urine-diversion technology at your agency's offices (I swear I won't poop into it without unanimous encouragement).
Timeline: January-March 2015 (anywhere within this time frame)
RSVP: please let me know if you are interested in having me stop in and demonstrate. 1-2 hours. Everything fits on a small dolly.
Established North American Toilet Facilities to date:
- Glacier Bay National Park - Campground
- Squamish, BC, Smoke Bluffs Climbing Park (most popular climbing area in Canada)
- Whistler, BC, Cal Check Campground
- Dehlongia GA, Appalachian Trail
- Private residence on Vancouver Island
Established European Toilet Facilities to date (BTW only):
- >50 private residences in France
- 5 public facilities in Poland
Happy New Year and I'm looking forward to visiting.
Geoff Hill, PhD
ToiletTechSolutions.com (public sales)
NotACompostingtoilet.com (residential sales)