2014 Sustainable Summits Conference is set for July 20-24

Roger Robinson

Mar 12, 2014, 5:40:52 PM3/12/14
to managing-human-w...@googlegroups.com
You all are welcomed to join us for the 2014 Sustainable Summits Conference set for July 20-24 in Golden, Colorado, at The American Mountaineering Center. The focus of this important international conference is to shape and share environmentally sustainable solutions in mountain areas, along with developing global partnerships. We had planned this conference for 2013 in Alaska but severe travel restrictions for federal employees put this on hold.  Sustainable Summits Conference is an expansion of the 2010 Exit Strategies Conference with a greater focus on planning for best sustainable practices in a variety of areas including human waste. Our three main days cover these areas:

Day 1- Sustainable Practices and Solutions: Education and field- tested practice for land managers and users.
Day 2- Planning and Access: Can you get it right from the get- go?
Day 3- Reducing User Impact: The challenge of managing all types of waste.

The third day will include the most practical remote human waste systems including composting, vermicomposting, pit toilets, solar drying and pack out.  A few of our presenters on human waste practices include: Dawa Steven Sherpa, recent practices on waste recovery in the Himalaya, Geoff Hill from Canada who is an expert in compost and vermicomposting and John Leffel with the National Park Service's Public Health Field Program.

For more information go to the American Alpine Club's website:

It would be great to see many of you again!

Roger Robinson
907-733-9108 (work Alaska time)

MacCampbell, Roger L (DNR)

Mar 12, 2014, 7:58:49 PM3/12/14
to <managing-human-waste-in-the-wild@googlegroups.com>
What's it cost?

Roger  MacCampbell
Chief Ranger
Kachemak Bay State Parks
South District, Kenai Area
Alaska State Parks
907-235-7024 or 262-5581

If you wish to receive a summary of "Abridged Email" of new activity each day, you can do so by going into "Edit My Membership" and select this option.

---

andrew larsen

Mar 12, 2014, 8:31:56 PM3/12/14
to managing-human-w...@googlegroups.com
Roger,

Great to hear from you! I am just on my way to the Reinvent the Toilet Fair in New Delhi and will be there for the rest of March. We're presenting our new design. I would like to come to the Conference in July--I will look at my schedule and set some time aside.

OK, take care and talk later!

Andrew Larsen
(Aerosan)

Gonzalo Cisternas

Mar 13, 2014, 9:59:14 AM3/13/14
to managing-human-w...@googlegroups.com
Hello My Dear Friend !!

I hope you are doing well and happy, as me. So, was great honor to have the chance again to attend the conference. I have great memories from the 2010 Exit Strategies Conference Managing Human Waste in the Wild, what a great people, wonderful presentations, nice coffe break and dinner conversations with all, absolutely I really wants to go.

Let´s do it Roger. I´m in.

All the best and congratulations for keep pushing this conference to finally see the sunlight at the end of the tunnel...

Gonzalo Cisternas Lopez
Park Ranger
Chief of Public Use and Visitors Management
Torres del Paine National Park
Patagonia . Chile

Roger Robinson

Mar 13, 2014, 9:04:34 PM3/13/14
to Managing Human Waste in the Wild
Hi Roger,

The registration fee is $200.  It would be terrific to have you attend!

Cheers,
Roger
--
Roger Robinson
Manager: "Managing Human Waste in the Wild"

Become part of the backcountry solution join our Google Group:

Sustainable Summits Conference:

http://www.americanalpineclub.org/p/sustainable_summits

Information about the Exit Strategies conference including free podcast presentation downloads:

"Human waste is a serious issue affecting our wild places and one we have the means to solve."

Roger Robinson

Mar 13, 2014, 9:13:27 PM3/13/14
to Managing Human Waste in the Wild
Hi Andrew,

Thank you for writing!  Please send us information on your new design, maybe folks here with MHW in the Wild would be interested.

It would be great to have you attend, a good way to catch up!

Cheers,
Roger

Roger Robinson

Mar 13, 2014, 9:17:44 PM3/13/14
to Managing Human Waste in the Wild
Dear Gonzalo,

It is really good to hear from you!  Maybe we can help a little with your airfare again.  Your attendance in 2010 was very informational, we'll all keep learning with the 2014 conference!

Let us know if we can help.

Kind regards,
Roger

MacCampbell, Roger L (DNR)

Mar 13, 2014, 10:30:33 PM3/13/14
to managing-human-w...@googlegroups.com

Thanks,

I havent had time to look this over.  I guess we stay at local hotels or is this on some campus...etc etc

I forwarded this to a bunch of AK State Parks folks...

I am putting myself in to go, but retiring next year so they may not send me..

Apr 14, 2014, 7:31:31 PM4/14/14
to managing-human-w...@googlegroups.com

Hi Roger.

Who is the FS sponsor?

Ellen

If you wish to receive a summary of "Abridged Email" of new activity each day, you can do so by going into "Edit My Membership" and select this option.

---

John Cocks

May 26, 2014, 10:45:04 PM5/26/14
to managing-human-w...@googlegroups.com, Roger Robinson (exit.strategies2010@gmail.com), Dave Bamford

Roger

Thank you for the early advice about Sustainable Summits.

I attended Exit Strategies in 2010 with Tom Hopkins (we gave a paper on human waste management in New Zealand) and enjoyed it immensely. I came home much stimulated by the whole experience.

I’ve just registered for Sustainable Summits along with fellow New Zealander Dave Bamford. We are both New Zealand Alpine Club member, and I’m the current president.

We look forward to a great conference!

John Cocks

PS Is there someone I can contact with queries about the conference or should I use the tab on the registration form?

Jul 9, 2014, 9:46:36 AM7/9/14
to managing-human-w...@googlegroups.com

Hi Roger,

I attended the Exit Strategy Conference as a vendor and would like to attend this year as well.

My name is Greg Ledo and my product is The Biffy Bag Disposable Toilet. I went to register on the summit site and was told to get an access code from you. Please send me the access code.

Looking forward to seeing all the like minded people again.

Best Regards ,
Greg

Pam & Roger Robinson

Jul 9, 2014, 12:56:30 PM7/9/14
to managing-human-w...@googlegroups.com
Hi Greg,

That would be terrific to have you attend!  Please use the code: "vendor" and that should let you in to register.

We are finalizing our printed material today and can include you in as a vendor, if you can register today.

It'll be good to see you again!

Roger

Greg Ledo

Jul 9, 2014, 2:35:44 PM7/9/14
to managing-human-w...@googlegroups.com

I will register soon. Do you need any pictures or literature or will info come off of the registration?

Greg