Educational Broadside, THE POOSTER

Kathleen Meyer

Oct 17, 2013, 11:45:49 PM10/17/13
to managing-human-w...@googlegroups.com

Hi Everyone,

And a big welcome back to work for many of us.

With the confusion of the U.S. government shutdown, this email is meant as a handy re-send of the one on September 18th. This time, it comes with HUGE Thank Yous to those of you who already requested digital Poosters, inquired about customized versions, sent enthusiastic responses, and posted kudos for Kristine’s and my work on my blog.

Attached, please find the Most Recent Instructions for Printing Poosters. We are learning all we can to insure that your printing results will be vibrant, because Poosters, while wonderfully FREE and digital, lack a central quality control at the printing stage. Should we come across anything else helpful, we’ll keep you posted.

To our amazement, in the first several days after our launch, requests rolled in from Oregon, Nevada, New Mexico, Colorado, North Dakota, Illinois, and additional locations in Alaska, Montana, and Idaho. Plus, Alberta and New Zealand!

So, here’s the scoop once again . . .

Introducing—ta da!—our trailhead poster, with greetings from Kristine Route and Kathleen Meyer. Kristine works with AmeriCorps on the Kenai Peninsula in Alaska, and Kathleen lives in Montana and is the author of the international bestselling outdoor guide, How to Shit in the Woods: An Environmentally Sound Approach to a Lost Art

Our recent collaboration has produced an educational broadside, The Pooster, aptly named by Kristine, and it is our gift to wild places. We’re offering the generic version FREE via email as a digital file, ready to print at a copy shop. Or we can customize it for your locale. Thus far, it’s available in English and already working its magic in National Parks, at Forest Service wilderness access points (trailheads, boat launches, backcountry cabins) and in outdoor equipment stores, tourist shops, and visitor centers.

                          Generic Pooster
     (Find larger versions on the Pooster Website, below.)

Intended as an instructive nudge, The Pooster serves as a first line of defense for Mother Nature, enlightening the folks who venture into areas beyond established restrooms and to those many places where human-waste management remains less than a suggestion. Also, The Pooster is the perfect pre-trip reminder when partnered with sales of outdoor toilet products: the double-bagging pack-it-out systems, backpacker trowels, feminine urinary funnels, and, of course, the quintessential guidebook mention above. Or . . . tape one to the inside of a resort-town bathroom door, where it has a captive audience!

At every opportunity in this mad world, we humans seek out wild and woolly places to regain our sanity. Mother Nature revives our bedraggle spirits, and thus, we happily jump to bolster hers. The wider story of The Pooster’s origins and several customized versions reside at www.thepooster.com. You can request a digital Pooster file in pdf or jpeg. We would appreciate knowing where they become useful, so please drop us an email when you go to print.

Don’t miss meeting Kristine, on Kathleen’s blog, Shooting the Shit.

Wishing you many wild adventures in a pristine Great Outdoors,

Most Recent Instructions for Printing Poosters.docx