Getting there

Mike Rylander

Aug 11, 2008, 1:45:50 PM8/11/08
to malt...@googlegroups.com
OK, folks, your slack location host here to let you know the wheres
and hows. Below you will find a tinyurl to the google map centered on
the Suwanee data center, along with the real thing in case tinyurl
forgets it before you need it. The address is:

300 Satellite Blvd NW
Suwanee, GA 30024

in case you prefer some other mapping site. Since this is a
technology meeting, I figure we can all put in our addresses to get a
route map.

You'll also find attached a document that I've been asked to send all
visitors -- the Data Center Rules and Regulations. Most of it only
applies should we venture out to the floor, which we could do in
groups of 6-ish. Yes, it's a scan of a printed form that has a new
logo taped over the top of the old logo. The rest of their operation
is significantly classier. I promise.

At this point I have 25 names on my list. I've checked it twice. I'm
not sharing it here because some people responded privately to the
call for names, but we'll all know who was there when it's all said
and done. :)

You'll need a photo ID to get in.

Let's see ... I think that's it. Any questions, please feel free to
contact me on-list or privately. We look forward to seeing you this
Friday, and have a good week in the mean time!

--------------------------------------

http://tinyurl.com/5kreco

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=300+Satellite+Blvd+NW+Suwanee,+GA+30024&sll=34.037369,-84.062405&sspn=0.04801,0.11158&ie=UTF8&ll=34.035768,-84.062877&spn=0.024005,0.05579&z=15&iwloc=addr

--------------------------------------

--
Mike Rylander
| VP, Research and Design
| phone: 1-877-OPEN-ILS (673-6457)
| email: mi...@esilibrary.com
| web: http://www.esilibrary.com

Data Center Rules and Regulations.pdf

Courtney McGough

Aug 11, 2008, 5:15:33 PM8/11/08
to malt...@googlegroups.com
Mike,

Do we have a schedule for the day yet?

Courtney McGough

Mike Rylander

Aug 11, 2008, 8:41:13 PM8/11/08
to malt...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 5:15 PM, Courtney McGough
<courtney...@usg.edu> wrote:

> Mike,
>
> Do we have a schedule for the day yet?

Looking back at the list, the suggestion with one yea and no nays was
10am-2pm with BYOL (bring your own lunch). From experience, traffic
doesn't get /bad/ bad up there until about 4, so we could go a little
later than that if anyone wanted. I could probably be cajoled and/or
bribed into fetching lunch from Jersey Mike's, too.

If we're shooting to start at 10am then please plan to arrive by
9:45am at the latest, as badging will take a a minute or two per
person.

Which brings us, I think, to the reason for all this madness: who's
showing off what? I, or someone just as vendory as me from ESI, will
try to give an Evergreen update if we can pull something together (why
does every library in the free world want to migrate in August and
September??), though I'm not sure how much of all that this crowd
really wants to hear -- I would certainly understand if some are
getting weary of hearing about it. :)

Anyway, there's the ring, let's see some hats!

--miker

Lauren Fancher

Aug 12, 2008, 2:19:58 PM8/12/08
to malt...@googlegroups.com
Earlier, Ross had proposed the following and I had said we could do something on GALILEO --  is someone on board from Emory and Tech to talk about Primo and VuFind?  What about GSU's MetaLib Xserver project?

The theme of the meeting will be loosely based on discovery systems
(although a few other presentations will be slipped in there as well,
less discovery-related), and you can hear about Emory's Primo
implementation as well as Georgia Tech's VuFind.  An Evergreen update
(acquisitions and serials are on the horizon!) as well as a GALILEO
update are on tap.

I also plan to talk briefly about a project I am working on, Jangle.

Deemer, Selden S

Aug 12, 2008, 2:33:53 PM8/12/08
to malt...@googlegroups.com

I’m working on a Primo presentation right now.

Selden Deemer, Library Systems Administrator

Emory University Libraries, Atlanta, Georgia

EMAIL:  lib...@emory.edu

PHONE:  404-727-0271

FAX:  404-727-0827

prohibited.

Jason White

Aug 13, 2008, 11:16:19 AM8/13/08
to malt...@googlegroups.com
I saw in a previous email something about BYOL. Does this mean there is
nothing in the area to eat will be break for lunch or do we need to
actually bring a bag?

I started organizing a carpool here at Emory and decided why not open it
to everybody, because this is an organizational nightmare I'm hoping to
use an online carpooling tool. I know evite.com has such a function but
I've never used it. Does anyone have another suggestion? If not I'll
create an evite and those interested in carpooling can join.

Jason White

Ross Singer

Aug 13, 2008, 12:22:53 PM8/13/08
to malt...@googlegroups.com
Unfortunately, I don't think there will be a GaTech/VuFind
presentation since Jeff and Larry have a conflict on Friday. If some
other GaTech person wants to talk about the process and observations
of VuFind, that would be awesome. It can be informal, it's MALTA,
after all :)

But, I think this probably means we have:

1) A Primo Primer
2) GALILEO Update
3) Evergreen Update

Which *easily* gives us room for another talk (on anything! step up!
talk! GSU/Metalib? It'd be awesome!) and each of the above around 45
minutes to an hour. That leaves some time to just talk about whatever
is on anybody's mind before everybody shuffles back into traffic.

-Ross.

Elizabeth Winter

Aug 13, 2008, 12:24:25 PM8/13/08
to malt...@googlegroups.com
Sorry, I won't be able to make it on Friday, either.... Hope you all have fun.

-Elizabeth

--
Elizabeth L. Winter
Electronic Resources Coordinator

Deemer, Selden S

Aug 13, 2008, 12:33:41 PM8/13/08
to malt...@googlegroups.com
Maybe Bob Trotter can talk about the USG VuFind pilot...

Douglas Goans

Aug 13, 2008, 12:56:24 PM8/13/08
to malt...@googlegroups.com
Hi.
I can talk a bit about our Metalib x-server progress.
-DG

Doug Goans
Web Development Librarian
Georgia State University Library
100 Decatur St.
Atlanta. GA 30303
Tel: (404) 413 2772
Fax: (404) 651-4315

>>> Lauren Fancher <lauren....@usg.edu> 8/13/2008 12:33 PM >>>

Bill Anderson

Aug 13, 2008, 2:30:38 PM8/13/08
to malt...@googlegroups.com
Unfortunately, Susan Parham and I also won't be able to make it from Georgia Tech.  We look forward to the next one.

Bill Anderson

Ross Singer

Aug 14, 2008, 9:18:24 AM8/14/08
to malt...@googlegroups.com
So, Bob, were you talked into this? A VuFind perspective would be great.

So far let's go with (and in this order):

1) Primo Primer
2) What's new with Evergreen?
3) Lunch/General discussion/griping/cameraderie -- 15 minutes or so to
get the bulk of Coke cans open and food out of bags so it's not
horribly disruptive
4) GALILEO Update -- I think Lauren can talk over chewing
5) GSU Metalib X-Server Project
6) GIL/VuFind (if Bob can be suckered into it) or open floor for
somebody to improv a presentation on interesting stuff they're doing
7) More improv if time allows.

This generally gives around 45 minutes for each slot. If people would
prefer more or less time or to go in a different order, feel free to
change it.

How's this sound?

-Ross.

Bob Trotter

Aug 14, 2008, 11:07:00 AM8/14/08
to malt...@googlegroups.com
Fraid so. I am just going to give an overview of our pilot project, and what we have done so far.
Bob

Bob Trotter
IT Manager
UGA Libraries
r...@mail.libs.uga.edu
Work: 706-542-0282
Cell: 706-338-0862

Aug 15, 2008, 8:33:06 AM8/15/08
to malt...@googlegroups.com
Selden or Lauren, since Mike won't be there, can one (or both) of you MC today?

Or somebody? Anybody?

Thanks,
-Ross.

Bill Erickson

Aug 15, 2008, 8:59:00 AM8/15/08
to malt...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Aug 15, 2008 at 8:33 AM, Ross Singer <rossf...@gmail.com> wrote:

Selden or Lauren, since Mike won't be there, can one (or both) of you MC today?

Or somebody?  Anybody?

I'll be the default MC if no one else takes it.

-b

Deemer, Selden S

Aug 15, 2008, 4:27:02 PM8/15/08
to MALTA
Ross,

Everything worked out just fine, other than slightly chilly conditions in the auditorium. We finished around 2:50, and had lots of good content.

Thanks to the Equinox folks for hosting MALTA this year. Evergreen continues to amaze.