getting Mallory minimal running on VMPlayer 3.14 on Win7

J.R.

Sep 28, 2011, 11:05:10 AM9/28/11
to Mallory Proxy
I'm attempting to get Mallory minimal running on VMPlayer 3.14 and my
OS is Win7.

I got stuck early on and I'm no Linux guru, which is why I'm asking
for help.
https://bitbucket.org/IntrepidusGroup/mallory/wiki/Mallory_Minimal_Guide
For the link above I'm in the network setup section. I ran multiple
commands and it responded with:
(if any characters are off I apologize, the copy to text feature
didn't carry over all characters correctly)

mallory@rmallory—min:~$ mkdir mallory
mkdir: cannot create directory ‘mallory: File exists
mallory@mallory—min:~$ mv * mallory
mv: cannot moue ‘mallory to a subdirectory of itself, ‘mallory/mallory
mallory@rmallory—min :~$ pwd
‘home/mallory
mallory@rmallory—min:`$ dmesg | grep eth
[ 3.351792] e1000: eth0: el000_probe: Intel(R) PRO,1000 Network
Connection
[ 3.770257] e1000: eth1: el000probe: Intel(R) PRO1000 Network
Connection
[ 4.107767] e1000: eth2: el000probe: Intel(R) PRO1000 Network
Connection
[ 11.147432] udev: renamed network interface eth0_rename to eth1
[ 11.200579] udev: renamed network interface eth2 to eth3
[ 11.254717] udev: renamed network interface ethi_rename to eth2
malloryl@mallory—min:~$ ifconfig
Lo Link encap:Local Loopback
inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
inet6 addr: :: 1/128 Scope: Host
UP LOOPBACK< RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 f rame:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
RX bytes:0 (0.0 B) TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)
malloryl@mallory—min:~$ ifconfig eth0 up
eth0: ERROR while getting interface flags: No such device
mallory@mallory—min :~$

I've run other items in VMPlayer such as BackTrack with no issues.
Any comments, thoughts would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Jeremy Allen

Sep 29, 2011, 8:35:05 PM9/29/11
to Mallory Proxy
Hi. The Mallory Minimal VM does not support the latest version of
mallory out of the box.

Check out the install script in downloads:

https://bitbucket.org/IntrepidusGroup/mallory/downloads/mallory_install.sh

This will give you an idea of the dependencies you need. Keep in mind
this script is intended for installation into an empty Ubuntu VM, so
you can't run it directly on the mallory_minimal VM (at least, we have
not tested it to run in there).

Let me know if you run into any trouble.

Thanks,

On Sep 28, 11:05 am, "J.R." <jr.jmy...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm attempting to get Mallory minimal running on VMPlayer 3.14 and my
> OS is Win7.
>
> I got stuck early on and I'm no Linux guru, which is why I'm asking
> for help.https://bitbucket.org/IntrepidusGroup/mallory/wiki/Mallory_Minimal_Guide

J.R.

Sep 30, 2011, 3:24:52 PM9/30/11
to Mallory Proxy
Thank you. I'm downloading Ubuntu 10.4, then I'll run the script you
just sent.

Thanks,
J.R.