GTFS for Mexico City

nat

Jun 14, 2013, 9:17:28 PM6/14/13
to making-gtfs-work-for-...@googlegroups.com

Hello all,

My name is Natalia, I work in the Department of Transportation in Mexico City and we have been working since last February towards building the first GTFS open feed, with the technical assistance of the World Bank. As some of you may know, transit in D.F. has two main components, one which is structured, formal, and government-led and another one which fits into the description of paratransit modes. Even though we are very excited about having this data base open to the public, we are a bit worried about leaving aside a very important element of mobility in the city, microbuses. We recognize the importance of having our information into a standardized format, yet we would like to give complete information of the transportation system, in which, unfortunately or not, microbuses play an important role: 55% of the daily trips in public transportation in DF are made by microbuses. We are aware we could “force” the microbus system to artificially fit the GTFS requirements, yet we support the idea that the format should be flexible enough to include a whole variety of transit options that has been ignored.

Mariana CS

Jun 14, 2013, 9:49:35 PM6/14/13
to making-gtfs-work-for-...@googlegroups.com

Hi,

I’m Mariana and I’m also working in the Department of Transportation in Mexico City. Just to complement Natalia’s comment, I would like to add that GTFS spec as it is, it’s not only making us leave aside the informal part of the transportation system, but to “disguise”one of our formal and very popular systems, the BRT called Metrobús. We had to adapt it and represent it as an express bus, which might sound similar enough, but is clear evidence that GTFS as it is, needs to evolve.

We think the main barrier to represent the microbuses is the stop-based routes, as microbuses don’t have fixed stops and of course, no fixed schedule, and adapting this system into GTFS would be very risky in terms of reliability of the information we would like to provide. We would be very interested to know which sorts of barriers you see in the spec, so that we can collectively suggest some changes that take into account the way in which public transport operates in different contexts.

Emily Jean Eros

Jun 19, 2013, 5:18:10 PM6/19/13
to making-gtfs-work-for-...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,

For those I haven't met, I'm a grad student from MIT currently working with the World Bank and SETRAVI on the Mexico City project, as well as with Chris Zegras and Sarah Williams on GTFS data release in Dhaka and Nairobi.

I've been compiling some stats that show the scope of the issues we have in using GTFS for paratransit and I thought these might be useful or at least interesting to others out there.

Below is a table showing shares of public transportation trips, by city, served by paratransit or other non-scheduled or non-stop-based services. This represents the percentage of public transit trips that cannot be adequately served by the current GTFS standard.

If anyone out there has information for other cities, please pass it along - it would be great to grow this list.

I'm also including a quick map showing all cities in which public or private transit agencies participate in Google Transit. (This differs from the map shown on Google Transit's homepage because I did not include agencies that release layers but not schedules or full GTFS feeds). Note the absence of feeds in Africa and Latin America.

Hopefully this can help others out there to point out the importance of developing a GTFS format that works for such an important form of mobility.

Emily

[1] Ajay Kumar and Fanny Barrett, Stuck in Traffic: Urban Transport in Africa, Africa Infrastructure Country Diagnostic (The World Bank, January 2008), http://siteresources.worldbank.org/EXTAFRSUBSAHTRA/Resources/Stuck-in-Traffic.pdf.

[2] Corporación Andina de Fomento, Observatorio de Movilidad Urbana para América Latina (Corporación Andina de Fomento, 2010). Mode shares calculated from the number of each type of transit vehicle multiplied by the estimated capacity of each vehicle.

[3] LTA Academy of Singapore, “Passenger Transport Mode Shares in World Cities,” JOURNEYS: Sharing Urban Transport Solutions no. 7 (November 2011): 1–11.

[4] Robert Cervero and Aaron Golub, “Informal Transport: A Global Perspective,” Transport Policy 14, no. 6 (November 2007): 445–457, doi:10.1016/j.tranpol.2007.04.011.

[5] Peter Wilkinson, “‘Formalising’ Paratransit Operations in African Cities: Constructing a Research Agenda,” in Proceedings of the 27th Southern African Transport Conference (SATC 2008) (presented at the Southern African Transport Conference, Pretoria, South Africa, 2008), http://137.215.9.22/bitstream/handle/2263/6390/Wilkinson.pdf?sequence=1.

[6] Carolina Gonçalves Pereira et al., “Paratransit Regulation in Rio de Janeiro: A Comparison of Two Surveys” (presented at the 9th Conference on Competition and Ownership in Land Transport (Thredbo 9), Lisbon, Portugal: Elevier/Emerald, 2005), 1–13, http://www.civil.ist.utl.pt/thredbo9/proceedings/proceedings/Tuesday/WSD/3rd_Session/1038.pdf.

redaready

Jun 20, 2013, 8:33:31 AM6/20/13
to making-gtfs-work-for-...@googlegroups.com, eje...@mit.edu
Hi, Emily

Could you please tell me where your map's data come from? i'm quite surprised to find so many GTFS feeds in china
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to making-gtfs-work-for-the-rest-of-the-world+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

Jonah Freedman

Jun 7, 2016, 1:28:42 PM6/7/16
to Making GTFS Work for the Rest of the World, eje...@mit.edu
Hi Emily,

   I am also interested in this map and how you collected the data. Mainly because I would like to create a similar map but for just the boundaries of NC.

Thanks.

Emily Eros

Jun 14, 2016, 2:08:51 PM6/14/16
to Making GTFS Work for the Rest of the World, eje...@mit.edu
Hi Jonah,

It's been a few years, but I believe this data came from GTFS data exchange. They (used to) include this info on their website: http://www.gtfs-data-exchange.com/

Glancing at it now, it looks like some of this info might have migrated to other places - the website has links. You may also with to see what's available in Google Transit.

Hope that helps,
Emily