Egg-Bot Reference design

CorSec Engineering

Jan 12, 2012, 7:11:59 PM1/12/12
to makerspac...@googlegroups.com
I talked to Eric about these links in reference to the Egg-Bot. I thought I would post them for everyone to see. All the stuff you need to build your own from scratch. Even the PCB gerber files.

Standard
http://wiki.evilmadscience.com/Hardware_reference_design

Ostrich
http://wiki.evilmadscience.com/Ostrich_Hardware_reference_design

Tutorial on drawing a smiley face
http://wiki.evilmadscience.com/Drawing_a_smiley_face

Jonathan Bowen
CorSec Engineering
www.corseceng.com

CorSec Engineering

Jan 13, 2012, 9:12:24 AM1/13/12
to SteveK, makerspac...@googlegroups.com
Sparkfun has a lot of great tutorials for SMD soldering that are worth a look.

http://www.sparkfun.com/tutorials/category/2

I think Thomas has done some of the print transfer type etching. This is similar to what was in the video but you skip the need for special photo etch boards.In a nut shell, You print the pattern on paper using a laser printer and iron that to the board. I think water is used to disolve the paper. It leaves the toner on the board. The final step is the same. You just start with a copper clad board and skip the lamp part. The boards might be cheaper as well.

Fun fact! The Egg-Bot frame is made from circuit board material. You can use anything but they used the same process needed for pcb milling. I think it lets them stencil the lettering on it and probably lowers the cost in the end.

Jonathan Bowen
CorSec Engineering
www.corseceng.com

On Fri, Jan 13, 2012 at 1:50 AM, SteveK <steve...@gmail.com> wrote:
        Awesome. While I have no experience actually building PCB's
I'm not afraid to work with them. There's a Collins Lab video on pcb
etching:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWnfnt2rNO0
       It seems to be pretty simple. The video is nine minutes long
and I think he only cut out down time waiting for the chemicals to
work. Definitely need a solder mask for all the surface mount parts.
As for the actual soldering part I see from Hackaday.com, and another
makerspace website I visited that some people have had success gluing
the surface mounts to the board so they remain in place and using a
skillet to re-flow the solder.

On Jan 12, 6:11 pm, CorSec Engineering <corsec...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I talked to Eric about these links in reference to the Egg-Bot. I thought I
> would post them for everyone to see. All the stuff you need to build your
> own from scratch. Even the PCB gerber files.
>
> Standardhttp://wiki.evilmadscience.com/Hardware_reference_design

Carl Swanson

Jan 13, 2012, 1:25:26 PM1/13/12
to makerspac...@googlegroups.com
I am so sorry guys,

I have a family travel event that I committed to this weekend and I will not make the meeting Saturday evening.  I am most disappointed at not getting to meet Brian/Selroth with everyone.  My only real input other than encouragement was going to be to ask that a motivated and willing individual take on the project management aspects for the February 4th event.  Please Thomas or Jonathan take that for action and get someone to serve as the central point of contact for the event.

I will still be happy to work on the forum part of things for the website this weekend and I have some other outreach stuff going on.

On a personal note I interviewed for a teaching position for Biology at Pine Forest High School and I even mentioned Makerspace :)  If you guys have any strings to pull help a brother out :)

Best,
Carl Swanson

SteveK

Jan 13, 2012, 7:23:11 PM1/13/12
to MakerspacePensacola
Don't feel bad, I won't be attending this one because I don't
feel so hot. I just moved here so I'm not used to the local germs. As
for the project I think the egg bot is a great idea. We need to be
able to show them we can be an asset to local business's. Being able
to upgrade and repair your own equipment in this economy would be a
huge advantage. Other points could be things like helping rebuild
America's manufacturing base.

Jon do you have any more of those planet kits use in the Tundra
painting tut? Maybe we could have the bot draw a green and blue map of
Earth on the ball.
> >www.corseceng.com<http://www.corseceng.com>
>
> > On Fri, Jan 13, 2012 at 1:50 AM, SteveK <steventk...@gmail.com
> > <mailto:steventk...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> >             Awesome. While I have no experience actually building PCB's
> >     I'm not afraid to work with them. There's a Collins Lab video on pcb
> >     etching:
> >    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWnfnt2rNO0
> >            It seems to be pretty simple. The video is nine minutes long
> >     and I think he only cut out down time waiting for the chemicals to
> >     work. Definitely need a solder mask for all the surface mount parts.
> >     As for the actual soldering part I see from Hackaday.com, and another
> >     makerspace website I visited that some people have had success gluing
> >     the surface mounts to the board so they remain in place and using a
> >     skillet to re-flow the solder.
>
> >     On Jan 12, 6:11 pm, CorSec Engineering <corsec...@gmail.com
> >     <mailto:corsec...@gmail.com>> wrote:
> >     > I talked to Eric about these links in reference to the Egg-Bot.
> >     I thought I
> >     > would post them for everyone to see. All the stuff you need to
> >     build your
> >     > own from scratch. Even the PCB gerber files.
>
> >     > Standardhttp://wiki.evilmadscience.com/Hardware_reference_design
> >     <http://wiki.evilmadscience.com/Hardware_reference_design>
>
> >     Ostrichhttp://wiki.evilmadscience.com/Ostrich_Hardware_reference_design
> >     <http://wiki.evilmadscience.com/Ostrich_Hardware_reference_design>
>
> >     > Tutorial on drawing a smiley
> >     facehttp://wiki.evilmadscience.com/Drawing_a_smiley_face
> >     <http://wiki.evilmadscience.com/Drawing_a_smiley_face>
>
> >     > Jonathan Bowen
> >     > CorSec Engineeringwww.corseceng.com
> >     <http://Engineeringwww.corseceng.com>

Corsec Engineering

Jan 13, 2012, 7:33:00 PM1/13/12
to makerspac...@googlegroups.com
I have a few. :) I'm working on some designs but the designs are complex and kinda require the bot to do some trial and error. I'll bring a few and if time and Eric allows we can experiment a bit. I can also teach anyone some of the cool tricks I've learned with Inkscape.

Jonathan

SteveK

Jan 13, 2012, 8:23:12 PM1/13/12
to MakerspacePensacola
Cool. Something else is I don't know how many people know about how
cheap and easy most data recovery can be. I got a EIDE/SATA/SATA 2.5
to usb adapter for under $30. I use that along with the BackTrack 5
Linux distro to get files off of hard drives that Windows refuses to
recognize.

On Jan 13, 6:33 pm, Corsec Engineering <corsec...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a few. :) I'm working on some designs but the designs are complex and kinda require the bot to do some trial and error. I'll bring a few and if time and Eric allows we can experiment a bit. I can also teach anyone some of the cool tricks I've learned with Inkscape.
>
> Jonathan

EVanId...@gmail.com

Jan 13, 2012, 8:48:31 PM1/13/12
to makerspac...@googlegroups.com
John, I can't come Suaturday (tomorrow) night. You are certainly welcome to work with the eggbot. I have ordered a case of pingpong balls for the 4th. I think Dawn will start decorating them with "makerspacepensacola.com" and leave an area to write visitor's names. I can get the eggbot to you and you can try out your designs as well.

For the 4th, I also have serveral arduinos, leds, and misc items. I've got some attiny85's that I've been playing with in conjunction to some small prototyping boards that I have milled from single sided coper clad boards (using an smd digital pot, surface mount resistors, and caps via i2c from attiny). So this describes my smd soldering as well.
I also have a GE865 that we can easliy set up so that someone can send it a text message and tirgger an output to do whatever......
I can also bring my roland MDX15 (the baby brother of Lamar's MDX650) if we want to have a mill running.

CorSec Engineering

Jan 13, 2012, 9:08:50 PM1/13/12
to makerspac...@googlegroups.com
I don't want to take up to much time on Dawn's new toy :) Oh I just had an idea. If you can work up a cool design for an advertising item then we can print it on one of the acrylic ornaments. They have a nice hole in the bottom that could take LEDs easily. Then we can setup a few with the GE865. Text the number with 1,2 or 3 and that will turn on and off the LED planet combos.

The mill would be cool. I'm not sure how loud it is or how hard it is to move. Might turn into more trouble then it's worth. The Open Book guys better watch out. Looks like we are going to steal a good chunk of their thunder.

Jonathan Bowen
CorSec Engineering
www.corseceng.com

Lamar Tillery

Jan 13, 2012, 9:15:23 PM1/13/12
to makerspac...@googlegroups.com

My 10 yo nephew has a capacitor that he made from a 5-gallon bucket.  Apparently during discharge it lights up his entire backyard and can be heard more than a block away!  No need to steal thunder when we can make our own....
I'm hoping he will bring it to the demo.

-Lamar

SteveK

Jan 13, 2012, 9:15:50 PM1/13/12
to MakerspacePensacola
Are we competing against Open Books or anyone else for that space?
> > On Jan 13, 2012 6:33pm, Corsec Engineering <corsec...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > I have a few. :) I'm working on some designs but the designs are complex
> > and kinda require the bot to do some trial and error. I'll bring a few and
> > if time and Eric allows we can experiment a bit. I can also teach anyone
> > some of the cool tricks I've learned with Inkscape.
>
> > > Jonathan

SteveK

Jan 13, 2012, 9:18:41 PM1/13/12
to MakerspacePensacola
Oops. Duh of course we're competing. I mean do we know who else is
trying to get space there?

CorSec Engineering

Jan 13, 2012, 9:18:50 PM1/13/12
to makerspac...@googlegroups.com
The event is for the opening of Open Books. We have been invited to feel out the space and their organization to see if it will be a good fit. I personally like the space. Its kinda a starter home for us. Small and cozy but needs a bit of work. Details have not been hammered out yet. This event is designed to help us gain support/potential members and meet the Long Hollow people who are renting one of the buildings to Open Books.

Jonathan Bowen
CorSec Engineering
www.corseceng.com

CorSec Engineering

Jan 13, 2012, 9:22:06 PM1/13/12
to makerspac...@googlegroups.com
We are not competing. It is two different buildings in the same complex. We also have a possible opportunity next door. Those details are months away and depend on the city letting the art group move in. Open books is moving to Building A. I assume building B is the meeting hall in the middle and the old semi converted stables in the back could be for us.

Jonathan Bowen
CorSec Engineering
www.corseceng.com