Setup for 4th

Gmail

Jan 20, 2012, 8:13:54 PM1/20/12
to Pensacola makerspace
I got 144 ping pong balls today and want to get a logo/name/website on them prior to the 4th. If we can agree on or vote for a name in the next few days I (Dawn actually) can have a bunch pre-inked. I thought it would be a nice touch to put names during the event, especially for kids.

If someone wants to do some other designs (Jonathan) you can send them to me or borrow the eggbot.

Eric L. Van Iderstine, P.E.

Selroth

Jan 20, 2012, 8:20:07 PM1/20/12
to makerspac...@googlegroups.com
Hey Eric!

We're trying to hash out names now actually.  I understand the sooner we hash it out, the better it is for you and Dawn!  Do you have a hard date we need to have a decided name by?  I ask because then we can figure out a time table.  X amount of days to nominate names for voting, and Y amount of days to vote.

I know the forums will be slow to grow, and for people to sign up new accounts, but I do kinda want to urge people to sign up sooner than later for this very reason.  We got a lot to do before the 4th, and every little bit of discussion and participation helps!

Please nominate new name ideas in this thread:  http://makerspace.thewestgate.net/index.php/topic,12

-Brian

CorSec Engineering

Jan 20, 2012, 8:38:22 PM1/20/12
to makerspac...@googlegroups.com
I still like E/C^2 = M (Emerald Coast Contrivers and Makers) but its a mouthful and full of math. I guess we could use ECCM as well. Electronic Counter-Countermeasures.

Jonathan Bowen
CorSec Engineering
www.corseceng.com

Lamar Tillery

Jan 20, 2012, 8:50:22 PM1/20/12
to makerspac...@googlegroups.com

ECCM =

engineering-centered chick magnets

electrons cause cosmic marvels

everything can cause madness

Eric can create more [of these]

Gmail

Jan 20, 2012, 10:33:07 PM1/20/12
to makerspac...@googlegroups.com
No date set in stone, I'd rather see some good discussion than rush it.  Even 3 or 4 days is enough to get a bunch processed.

Eric L. Van Iderstine, PE

Thomas Asmuth

Jan 21, 2012, 9:15:03 AM1/21/12
to makerspac...@googlegroups.com
I like ECCM.
Now everyone just needs to get together the black suits and mirrored shades. I will start working on the black van with shaded windows (and requisite satellite dish on top of course).

I really do like acronyms and using the 'Emerald Coast' tag to geo-locate the group is a good idea. EC** will work nicely.

t-
--
Thomas Asmuth
Assistant Professor

Studio
http://kidneutrino.blogspot.com
thomas...@gmail.com

Lamar Tillery

Jan 21, 2012, 10:10:38 AM1/21/12
to MakerspacePensacola
Maybe ECCM could be our motto. If anyone asks what it means, we can
tell them almost anything:

Engineers Concentrating Creative Mojo

Eggbots Create Cylindrical Masterpieces

Extremely Creative (can't finish this one...)

Extra-Clever Cro Magnons

Emerald Coast Community (of) Makers

Even Corsec's "Crucible" Musings

We can put ECCM on the tee-shirts and then gleefully confuse everyone
about what it really means...

CorSec Engineering

Jan 21, 2012, 10:21:05 AM1/21/12
to makerspac...@googlegroups.com
I like the word Contriver a lot. It is a perfect synonym for Makers. It literally means "To invent or fabricate, especially by improvisation"

However, We could drop it and just use ECM. Emerald Coast Makers. The URL ECMakers.com is available as well as ECCmakers.com

If the decision is made to drop it then I will have to morn the loss of the cool shirt/logo designs using the E=MC^2 derivation E/C^2=M...

Jonathan Bowen
CorSec Engineering
www.corseceng.com

Lamar Tillery

Jan 21, 2012, 10:25:05 AM1/21/12
to MakerspacePensacola
Just add it to the forum discussion. (I'm dual-posting right
now....) That way we can have a poll in a few days. Hopefully we
can set up the poll to allow multiple selections. We may end up with
a name that no one picks first first, but that no one hates. And
that's ok.

Carl Swanson

Jan 23, 2012, 12:12:38 PM1/23/12
to MakerspacePensacola
Just added a forum entry - http://makerspace.thewestgate.net/index.php/topic,28.0.html

Thomas is the project lead on this Feb 4th event.

Here is the info I have so far-

Longhollow Neighborhood Association

Pensacola Open Books

Makerspace Pensacola / Emerald Coast Community of Makers

"combined effort ?" "available to demonstrate ?"

Open Books Re-Opening Celebration

"Makerspace Pensacola / Emerald Coast Community of Makers" "Demo Day"

1040 N. Guillemard St.

Saturday, February 4th
noon – 10pm

The Celebration will feature live music, food, and wine.

Please add your must haves and copy suggestions for any flyer that
might develop :) !

Johnie Sublett

Jan 26, 2012, 9:38:40 PM1/26/12
to makerspac...@googlegroups.com
I'll try to get my solar cnc together for the forth, but it needs a lot of repairs. It was all I could do to get the buildlounge video filmed. Btw the X-ray guy won the lasers cutter, but there were a bunch of Tor nodes that had voted for him, and the guy running the blog didn't care when I told him. My lung surgery went well though, which is good. Jonathan, was that cutter similar to the one you have? Sorry I havn't been around, I'll try to meet more often.
Johnie

Sent from my iPad

Thomas Asmuth

Jan 27, 2012, 7:08:04 AM1/27/12
to makerspac...@googlegroups.com
I am glad to hear your surgery went well. Any old thing you want to bring, it will just be good to have you participate.

nsba...@gmail.com

Jan 27, 2012, 8:52:57 AM1/27/12
to makerspac...@googlegroups.com
Yikes surgery! Glad it went well.

Thomas as officially as it gets so far we are still called Makerspace Pensacola. Until we get folks to vote or you decide we have heard from enough members and are willing to close the poll. You might do something like Makerspace Pensacola / Emerald Coast Community Makers or substitute whatever is ahead in polling.

From: Thomas Asmuth <thomas...@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2012 06:08:04 -0600
Subject: Re: Setup for 4th