Maker Space Name ideas

Lamar Tillery

Jan 18, 2012, 9:37:00 PM1/18/12
to MakerspacePensacola
While makerspacepensacola.com is quite descriptive, it's also quite
long. I know we don't want to tackle too many things at once but
the reasons this comes to mind are:

1) Brian mentioned (and I'm paraphrasing poorly) that he wasn't sure
whether folks from outside Pensacola were welcome when he first found
the site.

2) I noticed that the Durham,NC hackerspace just changed their name to
Splatspace (perhaps for that reason.) and

3) if you check out the hackerspace wiki, there are few spaces named
[location]space. And some of the others are quite clever.

Here's a couple to get things rolling:

makepensacola.com <-- shorter; probably can read it on a billboard
at 70+. Doesn't solve (1).

delunaLabs.com <-- named after our friend Don Tristán de Luna y
Arellano, founder of the Pensacola colony.

Got any others?

John Butler

Jan 18, 2012, 10:12:16 PM1/18/12
to makerspac...@googlegroups.com
850 Creative

Gmail

Jan 19, 2012, 12:02:34 AM1/19/12
to makerspac...@googlegroups.com
Blue Angles Maker Federation (bamf) and yes that's angles, not angels.

Gulf Coast Geeks (gcg)

Beach Pilots - Outlandish Introverted Leaders (bp oil)

Beachbots

P'makers

Any of the above or variants. I actually like Beachbots.

Eric L. Van Iderstine, PE

CorSec Engineering

Jan 19, 2012, 1:53:37 AM1/19/12
to makerspac...@googlegroups.com
Panhandle Makers.

If we use Gulf Coast Geeks then I'll get confused. :) My gaming group is Gulf Coast Tabletop Gaming Society (GCTGS is a mouth full)

That is a great example of how not to choose a name. It needs to be simple, clean, and gets the point across.

I like MakePensacola not sure if Make:magazine will like it :)

Thomas mentioned a type of library he heard about on NPR at one of the meetings. It was early 1900s I guess they set them up to teach people manufacturing skills. I can find a reference to it. Maybe we can steal the name from that.

Jonathan Bowen
CorSec Engineering
www.corseceng.com

Thomas Asmuth

Jan 19, 2012, 7:18:07 AM1/19/12
to makerspac...@googlegroups.com
Those entities were known as Mechanic's Institutes
--
Thomas Asmuth
Assistant Professor

Studio
http://kidneutrino.blogspot.com
thomas...@gmail.com

Lamar Tillery

Jan 19, 2012, 9:50:51 AM1/19/12
to MakerspacePensacola
Brian, you are right! We do need to put this on the forum. I just
quoted this thread and posted it on the forum this morning. Lets get
a few more entries and then we'll do a names poll.

Lamar