Meeting Tonight

Carl Swanson

Jan 21, 2012, 1:49:37 PM1/21/12
to MakerspacePensacola
I would like to meet with folks tonight. We can discuss how
makerspacepensacola.com needs to look and link to. We can go to Ozone
or setup something online.

SteveK

Jan 21, 2012, 2:59:52 PM1/21/12
to MakerspacePensacola
I'm for online. I've got a webcam and mic if you want to do video
chat.

John Butler

Jan 21, 2012, 4:10:24 PM1/21/12
to makerspac...@googlegroups.com
I can possibly do an online, I'm getting stuff done before leaving town first thing in the morning. A google hangout does 7 or 9 people in a video chat. Just need to add everyone to a circle and start a hangout.

My google+ account is jlbutl

Lamar Tillery

Jan 21, 2012, 4:12:13 PM1/21/12
to makerspac...@googlegroups.com

Can't make it tonight guys.  Have fun...

SteveK

Jan 21, 2012, 4:35:12 PM1/21/12
to MakerspacePensacola
I just setup a google+ account to make things easier. It sure looks a
whole lot like facebook.

Selroth

Jan 21, 2012, 4:36:07 PM1/21/12
to makerspac...@googlegroups.com
That's a downright shame.  :(

I already have plans tonight, I won't be able to attend neither in person or online.  And I kinda feel that the topic is my prime concern with this group...

I've been drafting and playing with many ideas, most of which aren't yet visible.  And to be excluded from this and the decisions made without me would diminish my enthusiasm.  Can we possibly re-schedule or discuss in a thread of the forums rather than real-time please?

-Brian

John Butler

Jan 21, 2012, 4:42:18 PM1/21/12
to makerspac...@googlegroups.com
Honestly, another time would work best for me too since I'm prepping for the trip...

SteveK

Jan 21, 2012, 4:44:29 PM1/21/12
to MakerspacePensacola
Can we combine real time and the forums? Toss ideas around and chat at
the meeting, but put important things on the forums so everybody can
work on it?

Gmail

Jan 21, 2012, 4:57:37 PM1/21/12
to makerspac...@googlegroups.com
Already committed tonight, will need to be via forum, have a busy week planned as well. If group can reschedule and meet, that's fine.

Eric L. Van Iderstine, PE

Selroth

Jan 21, 2012, 6:01:46 PM1/21/12
to makerspac...@googlegroups.com
I created 2 threads in the forum to help start off this discussion.  One is Features and Functionality, the other is Look and Feel.

I hope stuff like this is what Carl intended to talk about.

-Brian

Carl Swanson

Jan 21, 2012, 7:13:48 PM1/21/12
to makerspac...@googlegroups.com
Great guys thanks for your patience and input on tonight's meeting.

I will be available for phone conversations or google group/hangout etc.  We will definitely have an in person meeting next weekend at ozone that is on the makerspacepensacola.com site now.  I will setup a poll in the forum I wanted to propose that some folks step up and be project leads for the various things we have going now.  I want to duplicate the information here so we have that available since the google group is the defacto main exchange of record for our group.

I like ECCM - I am going to tell folks it means Emerald Coast Community Makers btw :)

Brian aka Selroth seems to be the point of contact for our website stuff, I propose we make these official at the next meeting but for now feel free to fork out your duties and tell us what to do.

John Bowman and Lamar can decide or share responsiblity for project lead on the February 4th event?  We need something more specific to call this event - "Pre-open house" ECCM debutante ball etc.  We need a list of things folks can bring or provide and a list of times makers will be available at the event.

John Butler I would like to ask you to step up and be project lead for incorporation.  Ideally we can congratulate ourselves the weekend following the event and also tell everyone we are an official incorporated entity and we are ready to accept dues.

I think we still need logo input.  We still need more folks to step up and put money in the budget.  It would be nice to wear the same t-shirts to the event.

Best,

Carl

SteveK

Jan 21, 2012, 7:23:43 PM1/21/12
to MakerspacePensacola
Will it be John Butler we contact about donating money then?
> > On Sat, Jan 21, 2012 at 3:57 PM, Gmail <evaniderst...@gmail.com
> > <mailto:evaniderst...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> >     Already committed tonight, will need to be via forum, have a busy
> >     week planned as well.  If group can reschedule and meet, that's fine.
>
> >     Eric L. Van Iderstine, PE
>
> >     On Jan 21, 2012, at 3:44 PM, SteveK <steventk...@gmail.com
> >     <mailto:steventk...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> >     > Can we combine real time and the forums? Toss ideas around and
> >     chat at
> >     > the meeting, but put important things on the forums so everybody can
> >     > work on it?
>
> >     > On Jan 21, 3:36 pm, Selroth <selroth.kas...@gmail.com
> >     <mailto:selroth.kas...@gmail.com>> wrote:
> >     >> That's a downright shame.  :(
>
> >     >> I already have plans tonight, I won't be able to attend neither
> >     in person
> >     >> or online.  And I kinda feel that the topic is my prime concern
> >     with this
> >     >> group...
>
> >     >> I've been drafting and playing with many ideas, most of which
> >     aren't yet
> >     >> visible.  And to be excluded from this and the decisions made
> >     without me
> >     >> would diminish my enthusiasm.  Can we possibly re-schedule or
> >     discuss in a
> >     >> thread of the forums rather than real-time please?
>
> >     >> -Brian
>
> >     >> On Sat, Jan 21, 2012 at 3:12 PM, Lamar Tillery
> >     <wltill...@gmail.com <mailto:wltill...@gmail.com>> wrote:
> >     >>> Can't make it tonight guys.  Have fun...
> >     >>> On Jan 21, 2012 3:10 PM, "John Butler" <jlb...@gmail.com
> >     <mailto:jlb...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> >     >>>> I can possibly do an online, I'm getting stuff done before
> >     leaving town
> >     >>>> first thing in the morning.  A google hangout does 7 or 9
> >     people in a video
> >     >>>> chat.  Just need to add everyone to a circle and start a hangout.
>
> >     >>>> My google+ account is jlbutl
>
> >     >>>> On Jan 21, 2012, at 1:59 PM, SteveK wrote:
>
> >     >>>> I'm for online. I've got a webcam and mic if you want to do video
> >     >>>> chat.
>
> >     >>>> On Jan 21, 12:49 pm, Carl Swanson <nsbanz...@gmail.com
> >     <mailto:nsbanz...@gmail.com>> wrote:
> >     >>>>> I would like to meet with folks tonight.  We can discuss how
> >     >>>>> makerspacepensacola.com <http://makerspacepensacola.com>

CorSec Engineering

Jan 21, 2012, 8:07:47 PM1/21/12
to makerspac...@googlegroups.com
I know a T-Shirt guy. I can check on pricing from him on Monday. Maybe a few extra shirts to hand out as door prizes? If we get a list of people and sizes then we can get the shirts done as soon as we have a logo and shirt design.

Jonathan Bowen
CorSec Engineering
www.corseceng.com

SteveK

Jan 21, 2012, 11:12:36 PM1/21/12
to MakerspacePensacola
I found the crowdrise page: http://www.crowdrise.com/makerspace/fundraiser/makerspacepensacola

$95 raised so far.

Gmail

Jan 22, 2012, 3:33:54 PM1/22/12
to makerspac...@googlegroups.com
I'll take 3, 1 adult xl, 1 adult small, 1 youth large

Eric L. Van Iderstine, PE

Lamar Tillery

Jan 22, 2012, 10:20:49 PM1/22/12
to MakerspacePensacola
Let's clarify a few things...

Much of the stuff in the quoted post below was already covered during
the last meeting.

Specifically:

After meeting twice in the last two weeks the general feeling of the
group was that yet another meeting prior to the Feb 4th event was
unnecessary. We will be spending 4-5 hours together at the Longhollow
Site on the 4th, which will allow ample time to discuss all sorts of
things. We just need a mechanism to communicate that before another
meeting time pops up on the website again.

The Feb 4th event is Tomas' baby. He's the lead. He's the point of
contact. At Ozone, we all talked at length about who was bringing
what, signage, power distribution, etc. I'm under the impression that
he has this thing squared away.

I told a little story about a Jeep club I used to be a member of.
Some members were interested in being club officers, others in doing
fundraising, but everyone was interested in riding. It was why the
club existed. This maker space is no different. It's about
community, teaching, learning, and so on. But in the end it's about
collaboration on projects of interest. The first collaborative
project this space is working on is building a great web presence.
Please consider joining the forum as a way to express support for the
folks who are putting in time on this project.

Before the 4th, we need to select a name for the space, via polling
within the forum, that's acceptable to as many of us as possible. The
website (and forum) needs to be the "exchange of record" as rapidly as
practicable. Again, please join the forums.

Brian has already taken on the grunt work to get the website rolling.
Thanks Brian.

We discussed several options for incorporation at the Ozone meeting:

Forming an LLC. This is quick, but donations to it are not tax
deductible.

5013(c) non-profit. Takes longer, but business and government
entities will treat us differently. Donations are tax-deductible.

Hybrid. Form an LLC affiliated with a 5013(c) that take
donations on our behalf.

The consensus is that we need more information. We'd like to get
input from counsel and tax professions so that we understand the
advantages and disadvantages. We are looking for professionals in
those areas that are interested in what we are doing and are willing
to advise us. If you know someone (or are someone) that can help us,
please post in the forums.

Before the logo comes the name. The names poll is already going. I
know I haven't mentioned it, but please join the forums! :)

Also, some of us feel uncomfortable donating money at this stage.
Once we are more formalized (which will be soon) we can elect a
treasurer and open a bank account.

Finally, lets not get too wrapped up in what has to be completed
before the 4th. All we really need to agree on is the website name
and the website look. We've got plenty of time...

-Lamar
> > On Sat, Jan 21, 2012 at 3:57 PM, Gmail <evaniderst...@gmail.com
> > <mailto:evaniderst...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> >     Already committed tonight, will need to be via forum, have a busy
> >     week planned as well.  If group can reschedule and meet, that's fine.
>
> >     Eric L. Van Iderstine, PE
>
> >     On Jan 21, 2012, at 3:44 PM, SteveK <steventk...@gmail.com
> >     <mailto:steventk...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> >     > Can we combine real time and the forums? Toss ideas around and
> >     chat at
> >     > the meeting, but put important things on the forums so everybody can
> >     > work on it?
>
> >     > On Jan 21, 3:36 pm, Selroth <selroth.kas...@gmail.com
> >     <mailto:selroth.kas...@gmail.com>> wrote:
> >     >> That's a downright shame.  :(
>
> >     >> I already have plans tonight, I won't be able to attend neither
> >     in person
> >     >> or online.  And I kinda feel that the topic is my prime concern
> >     with this
> >     >> group...
>
> >     >> I've been drafting and playing with many ideas, most of which
> >     aren't yet
> >     >> visible.  And to be excluded from this and the decisions made
> >     without me
> >     >> would diminish my enthusiasm.  Can we possibly re-schedule or
> >     discuss in a
> >     >> thread of the forums rather than real-time please?
>
> >     >> -Brian
>
> >     >> On Sat, Jan 21, 2012 at 3:12 PM, Lamar Tillery
> >     <wltill...@gmail.com <mailto:wltill...@gmail.com>> wrote:
> >     >>> Can't make it tonight guys.  Have fun...
> >     >>> On Jan 21, 2012 3:10 PM, "John Butler" <jlb...@gmail.com
> >     <mailto:jlb...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> >     >>>> I can possibly do an online, I'm getting stuff done before
> >     leaving town
> >     >>>> first thing in the morning.  A google hangout does 7 or 9
> >     people in a video
> >     >>>> chat.  Just need to add everyone to a circle and start a hangout.
>
> >     >>>> My google+ account is jlbutl
>
> >     >>>> On Jan 21, 2012, at 1:59 PM, SteveK wrote:
>
> >     >>>> I'm for online. I've got a webcam and mic if you want to do video
> >     >>>> chat.
>
> >     >>>> On Jan 21, 12:49 pm, Carl Swanson <nsbanz...@gmail.com
> >     <mailto:nsbanz...@gmail.com>> wrote:
> >     >>>>> I would like to meet with folks tonight.  We can discuss how
> >     >>>>> makerspacepensacola.com <http://makerspacepensacola.com>

Carl Swanson

Jan 22, 2012, 10:58:44 PM1/22/12
to makerspac...@googlegroups.com
Forums joined. I posted a poll regarding the name.

Tomas is teaching. Are you absolutely certain he is taking the lead on
the Feb 4th event? What are we calling the event?

We need a meeting for new members even if there is no last minute prep
for the event.

Best,

Carl

SteveK

Jan 22, 2012, 11:06:42 PM1/22/12
to MakerspacePensacola
Short answer is that LCC is safe, but I don't know if its a perfect
fit for this type of organization. I've taken several business and tax
classes so I can tell you It has no hidden horrible downsides.

Lamar Tillery

Jan 22, 2012, 11:41:45 PM1/22/12
to MakerspacePensacola
Tomas will have speak for himself, but the impression I got at the
meeting was that this is his baby. He is, after all, the one who
organized the whole thing.

As far as what we're calling the event, it would be whatever the
LongHollow Community Center is calling it. We are just a small part
of the main event, which is the opening of the book store. There is
supposed to be live music and everything.

Our part is just to meet there and introduce ourselves to the
LongHollow community and to do a little show and tell inside the
building that we may occupy in the future. Tomas is bringing 2
makerbots, Eric, the eggbot, Brett, a huge Tesla coil, I'm doing a
"Solder in Seconds" class, and the two Johns are bringin' stuff too.
We're just going to visit with the folks that are visiting the library
opening.

As far as meeting next Saturday... Great. Hopefully, we'll have more
and more new members! And we want to make them welcome to come out
to the Feb 4th event. I can say though, as a married guy with little
kids at home, that too many Saturday night (read date night) meetings
is tough. If others feel the same, we may want to look at switching
to a different night. Believe it or not, my sweet wife doesn't love
blinkies like I do.

-Lamar

Lamar Tillery

Jan 22, 2012, 11:48:50 PM1/22/12
to MakerspacePensacola
Part of what we're grappling is is to what extent to do we want to
include the community at large in what we're doing. Personally, I
love the idea of giving back to the community (Pensacola area) that
raised me. If we partner with local government or local corporations
to improve our community, then a 501 3c would be more palatable to
them. Otherwise they are just donating time/money to what would
essentially be a private company. And they're not going to do that.
An LLC is quicker, but like you say, may not be the perfect fit.

If anyone has experience/thoughts in this area, please comment.

-Lamar

SteveK

Jan 23, 2012, 12:02:39 AM1/23/12
to MakerspacePensacola
I see a danger area already for 501 3c.
http://www.irs.gov/charities/charitable/article/0,,id=96099,00.html

"In addition, it may not be an action organization, i.e., it may not
attempt to influence legislation as a substantial part of its
activities and it may not participate in any campaign activity for or
against political candidates."

Have to tread lightly when talking about SOPA or ACTA on the forums or
in the building.

Thomas Asmuth

Jan 23, 2012, 8:21:29 AM1/23/12
to makerspac...@googlegroups.com
Well you guys are certainly heating up the conversation.  I started to join the forums at the beginning of the weekend and got sidelined into my audio project. I will go there now. And please everyone, this is an event for all of us, I was just acting as point person.

Thomas Asmuth
Assistant Professor
Digital/New Media, Department  of Art
University of West Florida
tas...@uwf.edu

Studio
http://kidneutrino.blogspot.com
thomas...@gmail.com

John Butler

Jan 27, 2012, 10:05:35 AM1/27/12
to makerspac...@googlegroups.com
Carl, I'm good with taking the lead on the incorporation process.  Lets get the name nailed down (I'm leaning toward Emerald Coast Community of Makers as it is more "professional" when trying to get investors, community involvement, etc) and we'll need to elect some officers for the positions required for the corporate structure.  Maybe we can have a formal meeting and get that all handled right after the name is settled upon.