Fwd: Building for Sale or Lease

CorSec Engineering

Jan 3, 2012, 9:25:33 PM1/3/12
to makerspac...@googlegroups.com
Anyone know what building this is? It looks familiar. Listing just says Brent Area. It's in our tentative price range and seems to fit our needs. Kitchen and office space that looks large enough for a classroom/meeting room. It also have warehouse space with roll up doors. $1350/month lease. I can't find it listed any where else but craigslist.

Jonathan Bowen
CorSec Engineering
www.corseceng.com

Jan 4, 2012, 11:36:55 PM1/4/12
to makerspac...@googlegroups.com
Have you tried to call yet to get the address?
--
Thomas Asmuth
Assistant Professor

Studio
http://kidneutrino.blogspot.com
thomas...@gmail.com

2776078001

CorSec Engineering

Jan 5, 2012, 12:57:09 AM1/5/12
to makerspac...@googlegroups.com
Every time I think about calling it is at some stupid time like now :) Not sure if we need to look at our own building because you seem to have plenty of people fired up and willing to offer us space on the cheap.

Jonathan Bowen
CorSec Engineering
www.corseceng.com

2776078001

Thomas Asmuth

Jan 5, 2012, 7:20:31 AM1/5/12
to makerspac...@googlegroups.com
well i don't know if this is settled yet:) There are plenty of good reasons to go the other way too.
2776078001

Selroth

Jan 5, 2012, 9:18:15 AM1/5/12
to makerspac...@googlegroups.com

I may not be in the loop - I haven't even been to my first meeting - but leasing a building for $1000+/mo?  I understand if many of you meet and work on projects every day, but I suspect the bulk of a hackerspace can only meet weekly at best (or at least that's my case).  It seems ambitious and excessive to me, and makes me wonder if I'm completely misunderstanding something.

I won't even touch how a small group of hobbiests (I assume that's what we are) could approach affording/funding that.

But, I suppose great ambition can lead to great accomplishment!

(Sent from my mobile device)

2776078001

CorSec Engineering

Jan 5, 2012, 11:25:17 AM1/5/12
to makerspac...@googlegroups.com
We will have to collect dues to cover the space. Unless one of Thomas' contacts works out for a really cheap price. The idea is to get enough people on board to cover the expense. We can also do some fund raising through offering classes or day passes to people. 40 people paying $40 a month will cover a $1500 building rental. That is not ideal but space is expensive.

We have also talked about tiered memberships. I for one will probably live there. Depends on how much of my production equipment gets shifted from my house to the space. I don't have much but I am willing to share. Some people may only want to be there for meetings and scheduled events. I'd need to be a key holder who was able to come and go as needed. That will come at a higher cost. Any group projects will need to have a key holder in them or in charge of them to allow the group access. I've also volunteered to move my entire operation to the space and act as a custodian/manager so we can keep regular business hours of 8am to 6pm.

We can also pickup outside supporters who may not be interested in going to meeting or participating but want to financially support the space because of the benefits it has for the community.

Jonathan Bowen
CorSec Engineering
www.corseceng.com

2776078001