media lab

Derek Jacoby

Apr 6, 2015, 2:34:39 PM4/6/15
to makers...@googlegroups.com
This is neat: http://www.reddit.com/r/vancouver/comments/31l1t4/vancouver_public_library_is_opening_a_digital/

Vancouver public library is putting together a media lab. We have most of the pieces for a digital audio workstation once the new PC's come in. (well, I do anyway. MIDI controller and mixer board and mics and such.) Would it get much use if we were to set something like this up at makerspace?

Derek

Mark

Apr 8, 2015, 11:37:33 AM4/8/15
to makers...@googlegroups.com

Oh very much yess, I'd enjoy that.   I'm sure I have a couple things at least I could donate to the cause.

Mark Sutin
Mobile: 778 922 1994

Thomas Gray

Apr 8, 2015, 1:55:10 PM4/8/15
to makerspaceca
I've recently found out that there are still consumers of radio plays, in podcast format, which is an interesting application.

Wouldn't we need something like a recording booth to avoid ambient sound?

Derek Jacoby

Apr 8, 2015, 2:01:32 PM4/8/15
to makers...@googlegroups.com
yes. the model in my head is to wall in the little nook that the graphics computer is in right now, throw some sound insulation up on the walls, and turn it into a recording booth/green screen booth. It doesn't necessarily need permanent walls. (the recording booth would only need a portion of this area, the green screen is part of a larger interactive meeting area proposal I've been thinking about. Not quite ready to pitch the details on that bit, though...)

Derek Jacoby

Apr 8, 2015, 2:09:25 PM4/8/15
to makers...@googlegroups.com
(although I guess the teaser on that pitch - I've been watching twitch TV while I'm working out lately and the greenscreen effects that some folks on there are using are awesome and I want us to be able to have a space to create online instructional material and the like with that kind of effects. It is particularly impressive when a couple people are able to be together in a chromakeyed environment, so having stand up space for a couple people in a greenscreen/audio booth would be fabulous...)

Pete Presant

Apr 16, 2015, 1:22:41 AM4/16/15
to makers...@googlegroups.com
A media lab would be very exciting. I've wanted to have a green screen and proper lighting for a while but don't really have room.

There is a wide variety of greenscreen (ex. http://amzn.to/1CN7oQ9) or bluescreen material out there and it would be fun to install some custom/diy lighting and audio equipment. Here is a diy 'roxul' acoustic panel http://bit.ly/1H9WVDv for sound dampening for example.

Those interested in a quite good overview of greenscreening can watch this 17min video "Hollywood's History of Faking It | The Evolution of Greenscreen Compositing"  http://bit.ly/1CQlChQ.

--------------
I would definitely be up for helping build a media lab.

pete

Eric Davies

Apr 16, 2015, 2:03:21 AM4/16/15
to makers...@googlegroups.com
If you haven't seen "Star Wreck: in the Pirkening" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHAPXlVq5lk", it's great demonstration of what you can do with a green screen and no money :-).  I believe their set was somebody's living room with some green lino.

I tried using purple fabric and it didn't work to well. Wrinkles/folds caused it to be irregularly lit.
Eric Davies

Derek Jacoby

Apr 17, 2015, 11:57:55 PM4/17/15
to makers...@googlegroups.com
Awesome acoustic panel link, Pete! I'd love to build some of those for that area.

Also totally into the greenscreen. Keep an eye on usedvic for some softboxes and background and lighting stands. A couple popped up last week, but I missed them. They didn't have the light heads anyway. These things pop up with some frequency, though.

I'm down in SF for a couple weeks at the end of this coming week. I get back on the 9th. So likely right after that that I'm all keen to take a run at this thing!

If the right gear pops up on the used market while I'm gone, though, jump on it. Kino lights are the high end option, or a couple Einstein E640's would be wonderful. I won't be far from email this trip.

Exciting!

Derek