Best local suppliers for raw materials and tools

Sean Mitchell

May 13, 2013, 7:18:05 PM5/13/13
to makerspace...@googlegroups.com
Hi, guys - I am new here, and I'd like to know where is the best place to go for basic supplies and quality tools.  I'm looking for:
  • Music wire, various thickness, 1 ft lengths
  • Sheet metal stock, various thickness, 302 full hard or eq
  • Spring steel sheet stock, various thickness, 1095 or eq
  • Solder, flux
  • Hand tools, torches etc
I know of various online sources (McMaster Carr, MSC, etc), but I would like a local place that I can browse and get what I need quickly.

Got any good recommendations?  I live in North County and work in Sorrento Valley

Thanks,

Sean

Eric Y.

May 15, 2013, 4:35:23 PM5/15/13
to makerspace...@googlegroups.com
Check out Marshalls for industrial supply, they're like a mini Mcmaster: http://www.marshallshardware.com/

For metal check out Industrial Metal Supply, they have a retail location in the Kearny Mesa area: http://www.industrialmetalsupply.com/

North County may have some good ones too, I'm not familiar with that area really.

Spencer Bliven

May 29, 2013, 8:39:41 PM5/29/13
to makerspace...@googlegroups.com
Anyone know a good source for acrylic sheets? The wood bed on my prusa mendel is developing a bit of a warp. Someone suggested acrylic since you can just tap holes for whatever screws you want. I think the melting temp of acrylic should be high enough not to soften if I eventually upgrade to a heated bed?

As Eric said, Marshalls is a great store. They have a great selection of hardware in both metric and imperial.
There's also a Harbor Freight close to Marshalls. They're bottom-of-the-barrel in terms of quality, but are often cheaper than even amazon. Could be a good source for things like torches where precision isn't really necessary.

-Spencer

Rob

May 29, 2013, 9:40:58 PM5/29/13
to makerspace...@googlegroups.com
Hi Spencer,

checkout Ridout Plastics in Kerny Mesa.

They often have sheets in their remainder bin.
Plex is really tough stuff that we used to make
prototype bullet proof uparmour windows.
Yet you can saw it with a table saw.
Get it thicker rather than thinner.

There is also a good plastic place in Vista near the UPS.

Rob

Richard Rouse

May 30, 2013, 8:41:05 AM5/30/13
to makerspace...@googlegroups.com
Here's some more:

Rideout Plastics
Ace Hardware - Clairemont
Dollar Store - Clairemont
Radioshack - Clairemont
Michael's - Clairemont
Fry's
Hardware store by Makerplace is good forget name
Willy's
Industrial surplus off convoy which moved recently

Richard Rouse
HTS Resources, LLC.
4182 Pamela Court
San Diego CA 92117
619-846-8291
rjdr...@htsresources.com
www.htsresources.com

Richard Rouse

May 30, 2013, 8:42:18 AM5/30/13
to makerspace...@googlegroups.com
Industrial metal supply IMS -- its close to Willy's and there's a good plumbing store close by too forget name

Sean Mitchell

May 30, 2013, 8:58:25 AM5/30/13
to makerspace...@googlegroups.com
I have worked with MGM plastics in San Marcos before - they have a pretty good assortment of stuff.

Spencer Bliven

May 30, 2013, 2:51:02 PM5/30/13
to makerspace...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for all the suggestions everyone!