Plug-in electric car conversion discussion and a (vaguely) related project I need help with.

mix.e...@gmail.com

Jun 2, 2013, 1:49:28 PM6/2/13
to makerspace...@googlegroups.com
I own a 1981 Subaru 600 ElectraVan.  This is a really unusual, all-electric, plug-in vehicle.  It was converted by Jet Industries in Texas back in the last gas crisis - late '70s early '80s using the best technology they had at the time.

This one isn't mine, but the one I have looks a lot like it.  They're pretty rare and parts are hard to find.  Actually, that's an understatement, it took me 6 months to find replacement 10" tires.

There's a SanFu Truck for sale in San Diego (Jamul) that, oddly, is built on the same chassis.  If I can find a way/place to do it, I would like to strip the mini-truck for parts.  The windshield looks especially good, but there are things like brakes, CV axles, torsion bars, transmission, etc. that I expect to need or other Electravan owners have an interest in.  I don't really want to tow the whole thing back to New Mexico.  My feeling is that if we spend a day stripping it, whatever's left can be taken by the scrap haulers.

Anyone interested in helping us move/strip it?  How about the following for a trade?

I own the ElectraVan, I've also converted a Suzuki Sidekick from gasoline to plug-in electric. I'm not the world's expert on plug-in electric cars and conversion, but if there are any people interested, in, say 2-3 hours, I can explain the overview of how to do this, the pitfalls, the benefits and drawbacks of various technologies (AC vs DC, lead vs lithium, kit vs from scratch).  Once you understand the basics, filling in the details is not as difficult as you might think.  There are also low-cost solutions, using things like old forklift motors, that can make the conversion affordable (but batteries are always expensive).

If I understand correctly, you don't have a "location", so maybe we chat one night over pizza somewhere?

If I can convert an EV, anyone can.  I had no interest in cars whatsoever until I started the Sidekick project with my son.  I still know nothing about gasoline engines, but can talk motors and kWh's.

Anyone interested?

James Newton

Jun 5, 2013, 6:03:53 PM6/5/13
to makerspace...@googlegroups.com
I'm interested, but I just don't have resources to spare. Sorry. I'd love to be in the loop if you post pictures, and I can maybe answer questions if you run into anything in my area (I know a tiny amount about high power electroincs and motors).

best wishes.

James.

Casey Van

Jun 5, 2013, 6:36:15 PM6/5/13
to makerspace...@googlegroups.com
There is a place called DIY garage in Escondido. They might have a place where you can work on the car.

Sean M

Jul 19, 2013, 2:22:43 PM7/19/13
to makerspace...@googlegroups.com
DIY Garage is DOA.  Too bad, 'coz I need a space like that.