Need Help with hardware project

Jess C.

Jul 5, 2013, 1:59:01 AM7/5/13
to makerspace...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I'm working on a project and I need to have a scale that will constantly send the weight of the item on it to a raspberry pi. I have the ability to write all the software for this but when it comes to building the hardware I'm not sure where to begin. I am willing to hire someone for this work or if someone is interested in becoming a partner in this project I'd be willing to discuss this too and give you more details on what I'm working on.

Thanks,

Jess.

Saint J

Jul 5, 2013, 4:04:46 AM7/5/13
to makerspace...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jess,
Do you have any hardware preferences for the weight sensor?
The software is easy from what I'm able to see. you just need a weight sensor, it will connect to an A/D channel, you will read in the voltage, do an average over time. Then output that to where you need to.
If you need to view the actual weight on a display, that a/d reading will then need to be scaled and calibrated to output the weight correctly and accurately.
Just follow the examples on the datasheet for the weight sensor to connect it properly to the device you're going to use to read the data.
I'm not familiar with the R. PI to know how to connect any other embedded device to it.
Hope this info helped somewhat.
-Jeremie

Jess C.

Jul 5, 2013, 5:03:08 AM7/5/13
to makerspace...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jeremie,

Thanks for the tips. Since I don't have any experience in this field I'm more looking for someone that I can hire for this work or that wants to partner up on it. As for your questions the requirements I have are:

  • It must be able to resist moisture and cold temperatures.
  • Low profile platform that can support 250lbs.
  • Space to house the raspberry pi (size of a credit card) and possibly provide power to it (can run off a 5-volts).
- Jess

Sean M

Jul 19, 2013, 2:21:51 PM7/19/13
to makerspace...@googlegroups.com
There are lots of commercial scales that can do this.  Here's one for $130