Suggestions Wanted: surplus/supply stores for workbench/furniture/misc.

David Kaiser

Sep 28, 2023, 9:33:09 PM9/28/23
to makersa...@googlegroups.com

Greetings Alliance,

As I have recently moved to the NE Ohio area, I am still discovering all the good places for bargain hunting.  I am wondering if you have a list of surplus stores, recycling centers, hardware supply houses, etc.?

In the next week or two I am going to try and find a (cheap/free/used) garage workbench, something I can use to work on the lawnmower, set-up my cordless drill charge stations, etc.  Perhaps something with a top shelf to it, like this:

although to be honest, if there were a surplus place, and they had *ANY* variety or combination of metal bench product, of the right height, with or w/o drawers, and I could piece together something workable, I'd be interested in anything, i.e. things like this are even interesting:

Any suggestions?   As I find things, we could add to http://wiki.makersalliance.org/doku.php?id=sourcing_materials

Thanks!

David

Eric Halcik

Sep 28, 2023, 10:01:59 PM9/28/23
to makersa...@googlegroups.com
Try hgr in Euclid

Pio02bSOcyBJGKqU.png
4o83f0yoTB4ZlZTx.png

wy@smith

Sep 28, 2023, 10:02:58 PM9/28/23
to makersa...@googlegroups.com
Hi David!

I haven't really been active in makers alliance yet but I will chime in, because I've had to solve this problem recently too.

The easy solution is probably HGR industrial surplus which I haven't been to yet but which is 700,000 ft^2 and definitely has workbenches:
https://hgrinc.com/?all=1&last_chance&view=grid&aisle=&from=&to=&markdowns=0&newarrivals=0&sort=&kw=bench&per_page=24&min_price=&max_price=&item_location=euclid&promos=&brand&pn=1

I got two AWESOME butcher block 30"x6' workbenches with drawers and shelves from NASA GRC. They post these a few times a year, along with lots of other lab equipment and research electronics hardware. (I also got some 1000C furnaces, clean room air filters, and other fun, exotic hardware there, sometimes for pennies on the dollar). I go to the GSA auctions site, search the Ohio listings, and look for the ones in Cleveland. Doesn't look like anything from NASA is posted atm but here's the link:

My other great hack is this place southeast of Cle called repurposed materials:
I went there a couple weeks ago and there were some REALLY COOL, affordable things for sale. Massive quantities of big sub-divided plastic bins from an automated fulfillment center, cut up pieces of beautiful tongue and groove wood gym floor, rolls of acoustic foam, fire hoses, stacks of big 1/4" acrylic sheets that were used as grocery store cough shields earlier in the pandemic, etc. But, the thing I recommend in particular is to get some of their pallet racking. It's like an erector set you can use to make storage racks and workbenches. 15' long upright posts are $10 each, horizontals are $5 each, and 3/4" particleboard surfaces already sized to fit as shelves are I think $3 each. I bought four 15' uprights, which I'll cut into 6', 6', and 3' sections: this gives me two 6' tall storage racks and one 3' tall workbench. Oh, and each shelf/benchtop can support 500-1000lb. Not bad. :)

There are also a bunch of architectural salvage places around Cleveland, and I have seen steel workbenches and the like show up at our various ReStore locations too.

Random, but I also highly recommend Sutton Industrial Hardware (hardware store but they cater to machine shops as well as normal folks so they have lots of useful stuff you won't find at home despot -- taps and number/letter drills, tons of wire goods and metal hardware, and just generally a really highly refined selection of quality stuff across the board) and Alro Metals Outlet (huge selection of cheap steel, stainless, aluminum, plastics, brass, bronze, etc.)

Cleveland is truly a wonderland for makers. Some of these stores are places you'd have to travel across state borders to get to if you lived in most of the rest of the country.

Warmly,
Wyatt
~~~_/)~~~

Sep 29, 2023, 7:21:49 PM9/29/23
to makersa...@googlegroups.com
Hi David!

A few years back I was looking for a solution myself and came across this at Menard's.  It's a pretty decent value for the money.  I polyurethaned the desk board since it's basically particle board.

Harbor Freight also seems to have one that looks similar (with a light) for $120, YMMV.

- Froggy

- Paul

4o83f0yoTB4ZlZTx.png
Pio02bSOcyBJGKqU.png

wy@smith

Oct 8, 2023, 2:49:17 PM10/8/23
to makersa...@googlegroups.com
Wow -- a bunch of workbenches/shop tables are for sale on FB marketplace right now! In case you're still looking:

Warmly,
Wyatt
~~~_/)~~~