Blowing 15A heater bed fuse

Jeff Pierce

Sep 22, 2016, 10:39:02 AM9/22/16
to MakerGear - Make Today, Change Tomorrow
I am getting a used M2 up and running, but it keeps blowing the 15A bed heater fuse.

I am using a 24v 25A linear power supply. Is this the correct power supply. I have
read about using two different voltage power supplies and that a single 24v can be used.

Shorted heater bed? Can anybody tell me what the bed resistance should be.
All helpful suggestions greatly appreciated.

tj

Bryan Boettcher

Sep 22, 2016, 10:52:14 AM9/22/16
to make...@googlegroups.com
Older M2s used a 12v bed, which pushed the limits of the RAMBo on 12v.  If you ran 24v through it, you exceeded the maximum current by about 3x the allowed amount.  A linear supply is an odd choice for that high of power, but if it works it's fine I suppose.

If your machine was old enough to need the dual bricks, you should upgrade to 24v anyway.  MakerGear sells an upgrade kit for it for about $150 -- it's well worth it for the better performance from the machine.

Jeff Pierce

Sep 23, 2016, 11:15:01 AM9/23/16
to MakerGear - Make Today, Change Tomorrow

How do you identify a 12v vs 24v bed?

I got it working by hooking up a 12v supply to the bed heater power input (draws about 14A), with 24v still going to the others.

Yes, the power supplies are linear because I am old :-) and have been in amateur radio for years and have several high current linear supplies on the shelf. And, I am cheap.
Just made my first prints, a Raspberry PI case, and they came out really good for first ever prints. I was very pleased.

Thanks for the feedback.

Jeff