ZenToolWorks Filament Problems

Brad Carvey

Dec 29, 2014, 9:22:27 PM12/29/14
to make...@googlegroups.com
I can print reliably with most of the filaments that I have tried, except ZenToolWorks.
I am currently using Simplify3D.  I was hoping it would help solve the ZenToolWorks filament problems that I was having with open source tools.

I have tried a range of bed temperatures, a range of nozzle temperatures and anything else I can think of.

I have the Makergear M2 (24V, V3b hotend).  I with most PLA filaments something around 205 extruder, 70 bed, and 175 mm works with the other settings from the Simplify3d defaults.  Prints are almost perfect.  With ZenToolWorks Transparent filament, the best I can do is warped corners with a few other issues.  The filament is around 180 mm (178-180 with most measurements at 180).  I set Filament diameter to 180 mm.  I extrude 100 mm and I measure 99 mm feed into the extruder, so I set the extruder multiplier to 1.0.

I have tried the extruder temperature from 195 to 225.  225 works best.   I only get smooth extruded filament at temperatures above 220.

Has anyone got ZenToolWorks filaments to work with the M2?  Remember I don't have issues dialing in the settings on any other type of filament that I have tried.

What were your temperature settings (bed temp, extruder temp)?
Any advice?

I bought a bunch of ZenToolWorks filament rolls, so it hard to give up on them and buy new ones from different manufactures.

jimc

Dec 30, 2014, 10:53:16 AM12/30/14
to make...@googlegroups.com
if its crappy quality filament then nothing is gonna help really. any manufacturer can have a rep for good stuff but have bad spools now and then. zen tool works doesnt extrude their own stuff that i am aware of so its private labeled for them with QC out of their control. there are also many different grades of all the plastics. some arent good for 3dprinting. point is you just dont know and what good filament costs these days its just not worth all the aggravation.

Brad Carvey

Dec 30, 2014, 5:27:40 PM12/30/14
to make...@googlegroups.com
Thanks.  Maybe I need more experience, so I know when to quit on a filament.  I will quit trying to use it, at least for a while.

As I gain experience with 3d printing, I realize that printing is something that you gain skill with experience.  My first prints with the Makegear M2, were perfect.  I used the include Makergear filament and models.  After that, things went down hill, as I tried new filaments and software.  Eventually, I started getting acceptable prints of simple objects.  As I started creating more complex objects, things started going downhill again.  I have finally gotten good at printing very complex objects.  Recently, I returned to the Zen Tool Works filament, in the hopes that my hard gained experience would allow me to print complex models.  But I am still having problems.  I can't help think that there are some settings that would work.

The good news is that the M2 has worked great on very complex objects and any issues are from my modeling and not from an issues with the printer.

Brad Carvey

jimc

Dec 30, 2014, 6:54:34 PM12/30/14
to make...@googlegroups.com
Brad, while you are learning atleast inwould stick with makergear filament. This will just take one variable out if the equation. Learn the printer and how to print then venture on to other filaments. Also another note, you will have much better response if you post on the makergear forum. Everyone has moved over there so feel free to join us.

3DXTech

Dec 31, 2014, 2:27:06 PM12/31/14
to make...@googlegroups.com
We use an M2 to trail our materials during development. So we're pretty sure they all work well.
Check us out at www.3dxtech.com
Everything includes free shipping.