New Filament - Adhesion Issues - Ideas?

3DXTech

Apr 29, 2015, 9:27:16 AM4/29/15
to make...@googlegroups.com
Hi.  We have a new filament that prints great, but doesn't want to adhere to the build surface.

Here's the basics without giving away too much detail on the new filament

Filament Print temp:  300-320c (we modified an M2 with an E3D v6 - works great up to 400c)

Heated Bed temp:  100-120c (range is fine with our current 12v M2)

We have already tried:  Kapton, Clean Glass, Glass with Acetone/ABS slurry, Kapton with ABS/Acetone Slurry, High-temp Gerolite (G-11) as-is and sanded.  All with no luck. The plastic's shrinkage isn't excessive and causing curling - it just doesn't stick to what we've used so far.

We have ordered Ultem, Buildtak, and Perf Board - will try these when they arrive.  Thinking about other grades of Garolite, but not sure if they are different than the G-11 we already tried.

What other methods should we try to get a difficult to stick material - to stick!!

Thanks in advance!!!!

3DXTech.com

John F, Gorman

Apr 29, 2015, 10:21:00 AM4/29/15
to make...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Can you tell me how the "Kapton with ABS/Acetone Slurry" works? Rather, how to use it?
John F. Gorman
143 Chenault Road
Lexington, KY 40502

Voice 859-269-3573
Fax 859-269-3500

Rick Pollack

Apr 29, 2015, 10:23:03 AM4/29/15
to MakerGear
You can also post to the Filament section of the MakerGear forum
http://forum.makergear.com/

Rick

Bryan Boettcher

Apr 29, 2015, 10:41:50 AM4/29/15
to make...@googlegroups.com
He's got a thread already in "tips & tricks"

Ross Mosshart

Apr 29, 2015, 10:43:18 AM4/29/15
to make...@googlegroups.com

... have you tried blue tape on unheated glass?

3DXTech

Apr 29, 2015, 10:45:58 AM4/29/15
to make...@googlegroups.com
John
Basically you take a good amount of ABS filament (or pellets) and dissolve it in some acetone (1 part ABS, 2 parts acetone).  I have a small bottle - like a travel bottle for shampoo.  Leave it in there for a couple days / shake often, and the acetone will dissolve the ABS.  Put this on the glass and let it heat-up to 110c.  The acetone flashes off and leaves a thin coat of ABS on the glass - which the ABS filament will stick to very well.  I clean it up with acetone on a paper towel after printing…  Printing ABS on polyimide is better, but this works well too.

Ketil Froyn

Apr 29, 2015, 3:16:05 PM4/29/15
to make...@googlegroups.com
What is the glass transition temperature of your plastic? Try heating
your bed to the lower range of that. PLA has a Tglass at 60-65
according to wikipedia, and 60 is the recommended temperature for
printing PLA on glass.

Does your plastic dissolve in acetone? You could try a slurry of that,
if it works.

Other possibilities are hair spray or (diluted) glue on the heated
glass bed. I've heard people use a particular brand of glue stick, or
diluted wood glue that is then dried, both with success. If you try
hair spray, you have to get the right kind, I'm not very experienced
there either (except that I learned to avoid the very perfumed
ones!!).
> --

-Ketil

tim middleton

May 21, 2015, 1:42:43 PM5/21/15
to make...@googlegroups.com
Dollar store pump spray hair spray look for acrylates in it.  spray into a paper towel and wipe onto a clean room temp piece of borosylicat glass.  heat the glass to temp for printing.

Also try the same on blue painters tape...

or try to print onto a sheet of acrylic plastic.

Tim Middleton