New 3D Printer Needs a Name and some TLC

Rick Pollack

Feb 17, 2012, 11:56:30 AM2/17/12
to MakerGear
Here is a new larger print volume 3D printer that we've been working on for a while. I'd like to release a kit (we have most of the parts for 20 or so) but it is not finished and unfortunately we can't focus on this printer and the other new products in development. So rather than shelve this printer (again) I've posted the source (SolidWorks files are attached). (We received a lot of responses to our request for SolidWorks help and several people volunteered to help on open source projects.) The printer works very well as is, X and Z are sound. Y (the build surface axis) is fine but could be simplified/improved. There are a number of possible enhancements - some are listed at the end. Also, this printer needs a name - please post suggestions. Once it has a name I'll add a repository to makergear github.

A bit of history on this printer - I started tinkering with this design about a year ago, the inspiration was the depth-gauge stand that you see on the left in one of the photos. The original work on this printer got shelved while we worked on Mosaic. We picked-up again on this design a few months ago primarily due to requests for a printer with a larger print volume and the significant interest in these open-style printers. We're using linear rails, multi-start lead screws and precision rods like we used on Mosaic. Quality parts result in a higher price but you'll appreciate them when you do a lot of printing - we've been running printers around the clock for over a year. However, feel free to revise the design to use rods or other materials...

Functional Build Envelope

10" X axis
10" Y axis
8" Z axis

To do:
Z print area can be increased by re-doing the bases
Y needs to support a longer nema17 motor (like used on the prusa)
Y needs to be simplified/revised

Thanks,
Rick

P.S. have to break this into multiple posts (4M limit on google groups attachment).

printer needs a name.jpg
printer needs a name 2.jpg

Michael Lenczewski

Feb 17, 2012, 12:10:28 PM2/17/12
to make...@googlegroups.com

That is an amazing printer!  Wish i would've seen this before attempting my prusa.  Curious, what electronics do you have behind this?  Name suggestion:  skynet  j/k

ch...@revlite.com

Feb 17, 2012, 12:25:14 PM2/17/12
to MakerGear - Make Today, Change Tomorrow
She's a beauty. Possibly name it Cyclone (after that shape I see it
making in the pic)

Adán Sánchez

Feb 17, 2012, 1:00:04 PM2/17/12
to make...@googlegroups.com
'Cyclone' sounds great to me not only for the shape in the pic but also for containing the word 'clone'.

And as I am a "everything must have a logo" man, here's my bit.

As you may have noticed, it features the very distinctive shape of the printer as seen from the side :)

--
Adán Sánchez de Pedro Crespo
Web developer, graphic designer & coder

ch...@revlite.com

Feb 17, 2012, 1:09:26 PM2/17/12
to MakerGear - Make Today, Change Tomorrow
That's some awesome spur-of-the-moment grapic design

On Feb 17, 1:00 pm, Adán Sánchez de Pedro Crespo <adan.s...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> 'Cyclone' sounds great to me not only for the shape in the pic but also
> for containing the word 'clone'.
>
> And as I am a "everything must have a logo" man, here's my bit.
>
> As you may have noticed, it features the very distinctive shape of the
> printer as seen from the side :)
>
> --
> Adán Sánchez de Pedro Crespo
> Web developer, graphic designer & coder
> PGP Public Key: CCABF8A0
> Tel.: +34 663 163 375
>
>  CYCLONE.png
> 16KViewDownload

Michael Lenczewski

Feb 17, 2012, 1:11:57 PM2/17/12
to make...@googlegroups.com
Plus one to the name and logo.

Ethan Dicks

Feb 17, 2012, 1:21:10 PM2/17/12
to make...@googlegroups.com

2012/2/17 Adán Sánchez <adan...@gmail.com>

And as I am a "everything must have a logo" man, here's my bit.

As you may have noticed, it features the very distinctive shape of the printer as seen from the side :)

Sweet!

You have any ideas for a logo for our local Makerbot/RepRap user group?  The official name is the Central Ohio RepRap and MakerBot Operators User Group.  It shortens to CORMUG.  Most of the members have CupCakes, but there are a few Mendels and Thing-o-matics amongst the group.  Next month we hope to exhibit several MendelMax bots.

It would be awesome to have a logo for business cards, T-shirts, and especially a 3D printable logo.  I am a programmer and an engineer by trade, so graphic design is not something I'm good at.  :-(

-ethan

CYCLONE.png

Boszko

Feb 17, 2012, 1:22:33 PM2/17/12
to make...@googlegroups.com
That is a totally sweet logo.

On 17 Feb 2012, at 1:00 PM, Adán Sánchez de Pedro Crespo wrote:

'Cyclone' sounds great to me not only for the shape in the pic but also for containing the word 'clone'.

And as I am a "everything must have a logo" man, here's my bit.

<CYCLONE.png>

Michael Lenczewski

Feb 17, 2012, 1:24:50 PM2/17/12
to make...@googlegroups.com
um, does CORMUG have a page I could join?  Cleveland native myself.
CYCLONE.png

Ethan Dicks

Feb 17, 2012, 1:32:24 PM2/17/12
to make...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Feb 17, 2012 at 1:24 PM, Michael Lenczewski
<michael.l...@gmail.com> wrote:

> um, does CORMUG have a page I could join?  Cleveland native myself.

http://groups.google.com/group/central-ohio-reprap-and-makerbot-operators

Sign up and mention anything about 3D printing and I'll approve you.
Most of the list traffic is me making announcements, but any member is
able to post and answer questions, etc.

Folks from Cleveland are more than welcome to come down for the
meetings. Rick even brought the brand-new Mosaic for a demo last
year.

The furthest we usually get folks to drive in from is a circle that
extends out to Dayton to the West, Marysville to the NW, and Mansfield
to the N.

-ethan

Rick Pollack

Feb 17, 2012, 3:01:42 PM2/17/12
to make...@googlegroups.com
Google groups is not allowing me to attach the file. So the solidworks parts are temporarily here http://bit.ly/zLdsJp

Thanks Adan! What would a reverse cyclone be (leaves a trail of construction)?

Ethan - you could start a different thread.

Rick

Ross Mosshart

Feb 17, 2012, 3:07:04 PM2/17/12
to make...@googlegroups.com

Love seeing your modular printer (as I recall it being referred to last year) fleshed out!

As far as a cyclone that leaves assembled things in its wake... MakeClone?

Brent Crosby

Feb 17, 2012, 4:33:21 PM2/17/12
to make...@googlegroups.com
On Feb 17, 12:01 pm, Rick Pollack <r...@makergear.com> wrote:
> Thanks Adan! What would a reverse cyclone be (leaves a trail of
> construction)?

I like the reverse cyclone bit.

So that would make it a "enolcyc" "EnolCyc"

"EnolCyc leaves a trail of construction in it's path"

EnolCyc.png

Rainy Madman

Feb 17, 2012, 10:10:21 PM2/17/12
to MakerGear - Make Today, Change Tomorrow
i want one !!!!

Adán Sánchez

Feb 17, 2012, 8:45:56 PM2/17/12
to make...@googlegroups.com
Although 'Enolcyc', being a non-obvious name, is a bit more difficult to remember or say, the idea of "leaving a trail of construction in it's path" is really interesting and has been implemented perfectly in Brent's design.

Needless to say that I love to see my work remixed by others :)

ENOLCYC.png

Jordan Miller

Feb 17, 2012, 11:32:15 PM2/17/12
to make...@googlegroups.com
if
   MakerGear_Mosaic
then
   MakerGear Megalith

alliteration, people. that's MakerGear's style.

megalith is a nod to both the size of the bot and the arduino Mega powering it... ba dum shing!

jordan

On Feb 17, 2012, at 11:06 PM, "Adán Sánchez" <adan...@gmail.com> wrote:

Although 'Enolcyc', being a non-obvious name, is a bit more difficult to remember or say, the idea of "leaving a trail of construction in it's path" is really interesting and has been implemented perfectly in Brent's design.

Needless to say that I love to see my work remixed by others :)

<ENOLCYC.png>

Rick Pollack

Feb 18, 2012, 11:31:34 AM2/18/12
to make...@googlegroups.com
Also, the license for these files is CC-BY-SA

Gary Schwartz

Feb 18, 2012, 12:58:36 PM2/18/12
to make...@googlegroups.com
MakerGearMaker

Be well, and do good things
Gary Schwartz

Rick Pollack

Feb 18, 2012, 12:59:53 PM2/18/12
to make...@googlegroups.com
MGM :p

Gary Schwartz

Feb 18, 2012, 1:04:34 PM2/18/12
to make...@googlegroups.com
My htought exactly.

Be well, and do good things
Gary Schwartz

Richard Goodwin (rgoodwin on IRC)

Feb 18, 2012, 2:23:12 PM2/18/12
to MakerGear - Make Today, Change Tomorrow
My thoughts are:

Infinity
Assembler
Combinator

(I have a long post on why I chose Infinity, but I accidentally
replied to Gary instead of the group :) When I get it back I'll post
and hopefully look a LITTLE less stupid!)

On Feb 18, 12:04 pm, Gary Schwartz <gschwar...@cox.net> wrote:
> My htought exactly.
>
> Be well, and do good things
> Gary Schwartz
>

> On Sat, Feb 18, 2012 at 10:59 AM, Rick Pollack <r...@makergear.com> wrote:
> > MGM :p
>
> > On Sat, Feb 18, 2012 at 12:58 PM, Gary Schwartz <gschwar...@cox.net>wrote:
>
> >> MakerGearMaker
>
> >> Be well, and do good things
> >> Gary Schwartz

Prober

Feb 19, 2012, 2:14:49 PM2/19/12
to MakerGear - Make Today, Change Tomorrow
Artist
Mosaic Artist series
MG 3D Artist

Prober

Feb 19, 2012, 2:24:48 PM2/19/12
to MakerGear - Make Today, Change Tomorrow
Artisan
Mosaic Artisan
MG 3D Artisan

Richard Goodwin (rgoodwin on IRC)

Feb 21, 2012, 10:19:44 AM2/21/12
to MakerGear - Make Today, Change Tomorrow
Ok I can't seem to get my old mail back, but here was the basic
reasoning behind Infinity:

The open air design of the printer suggests that there are no
limitations. The focus isn't the printer itself, but the space in
which you can create (which is theoretically infinite). I further was
thinking to abstract the wiring and electronics into a separate
"sealed" (but vented/fan) craft box, with just a couple of large wire
bundles coming in and power supplies coming out. Very consumer'ish,
simple, and durable.

I can't say it's the best name, but I like the concepts behind it :)

trevor...@gmail.com

Feb 21, 2012, 11:14:33 AM2/21/12
to make...@googlegroups.com
My vote is for "This is not a duck" or Tina D. for short. Nobody would expect that. ;)

Rick Pollack

Feb 21, 2012, 11:22:15 AM2/21/12
to make...@googlegroups.com
Tina P?

thx richard! thx prober!

Brent Crosby

Feb 21, 2012, 3:32:03 PM2/21/12
to MakerGear - Make Today, Change Tomorrow
> "This is not a duck" or Tina D.

OK, I like that.

Reminds me of the very interesting and self-defeating name for the
once popular image import tool: "TWAIN" which I always understood was
an acronym for "Tool Without An Interesting Name"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TWAIN

Rick Pollack

Feb 21, 2012, 3:35:06 PM2/21/12
to make...@googlegroups.com
i like the magritte-ness

Brent Crosby

Feb 21, 2012, 7:20:35 PM2/21/12
to make...@googlegroups.com
Just for fun. Image is grabbed randomly off the web, so license is doubtful.

TINA-D_Logo.png

Rick Pollack

Feb 21, 2012, 7:34:51 PM2/21/12
to make...@googlegroups.com
Brent - I am growing more convinced that you've been exposed to excessive solder fumes!!

Trevor Lewis

Feb 22, 2012, 7:58:08 AM2/22/12
to make...@googlegroups.com
That is seriously awesome. :)

--

Failure is just success rounded down. - T-Rex

Sent from your iPhone.

Richard Goodwin (rgoodwin on IRC)

Feb 22, 2012, 3:42:12 PM2/22/12
to MakerGear - Make Today, Change Tomorrow
If we want to be *nix-y, you have to be recursive!

TINAD Is Not A Duck. :)