Connectors Reference

Joe Soap

Aug 7, 2014, 3:33:24 AM8/7/14
to make...@googlegroups.com
I'm looking to tidy up the wiring loom which goes from the 2X printer carriage back to the mightyboard. Some of the wires have connectors (e.g. fans and heater cartridges), and others are wired directly back to the mightyboard. For ease of future maintenance I would really like to change this arrangement so that all wires use connectors. As an example it is a pain in the butt changing a thermocouple which is wired directly to the mightyboard - the room in which my bot is situated is quite small and the only way to do the sort of surgery which requires up-ending the bot requires me to carry the bot thru to our kitchen where I can then annoy the wife by using our breakfast bar as a maintenance desk.

Is there a handy online reference somewhere which would allow me to identify types of connectors? FX I know from personal experience that the regular PC power supply connector inside a PC is a molex. I also know that thermocouples use a K type connector. However I haven't a clue what type of connector is used for fans and stepper motors (which are connected via a plug/socket on the back of the stepper). I would really like to have a page 101 reference where I can visually identify connector types - from that I can set about ordering replacements and extensions.

Whilst I can go to 3D printer parts suppliers web sites to order cables, invariably these are listed as "stepper motor extension cable" or some such - which isn't mega-helpful when I'm in the UK and the source is in the USA (or Hong Kong). I would expect to be able to obtain required cables/connectors locally, however a decent starting point would be knowing what the name of the connector type is.

Ryan Carlyle

Aug 7, 2014, 2:00:25 PM8/7/14
to make...@googlegroups.com
All the stock R2x connectors have a Molex part number molded on them if you look close enough. You can search Digikey for "Molex [pn]" and they will usually come up with full info.

Or ask one of us other owners about specifics. I have spares of most of what's in the R2x and can find part numbers off the packages when I get home if you want.

Joe Soap

Aug 7, 2014, 6:28:54 PM8/7/14
to make...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Ryan. I wasn't aware that the stock connectors had part no's on them.

On 07/08/2014 19:00, Ryan Carlyle wrote:
> All the stock R2x connectors have a Molex part number molded on them if you look close enough. You can search Digikey for "Molex [pn]" and they will usually come up with full info.
>
> Or ask one of us other owners about specifics. I have spares of most of what's in the R2x and can find part numbers off the packages when I get home if you want.

---

Joseph Chiu

Aug 7, 2014, 6:56:30 PM8/7/14
to make...@googlegroups.com
For the TC's, specifically, I suggest using TC extension wires and use a TC socket/receptacle set so that the cold-side junction temperature is close to what is measured at the Mightyboard.  I think Ryan did something like this recently?

Ryan Carlyle

Aug 7, 2014, 10:16:15 PM8/7/14
to make...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, all my TCs for all my hot ends are on type-K plugs. I just unscrew the cooling bar from the carriage and everything unplugs. Very easy.

ScottJD

Aug 8, 2014, 1:56:56 AM8/8/14
to make...@googlegroups.com
These are the ones I'm using and have worked great for the last couple of months.
www.omega.com/pptst/SMPW_SMP_HMP_HMPW.html

SMPW-K-MF
$4.35
Glass-filled nylon, with window, K thermocouple type, male/female connector pair

Joe Soap

Aug 8, 2014, 2:23:43 AM8/8/14
to make...@googlegroups.com
That's a useful URL for getting connectors. I just went to their UK
site, very good prices for K type connectors, but shame about postal
charge - £9 + VAT is taking the mickey.

Ryan Carlyle

Aug 8, 2014, 11:39:45 AM8/8/14
to make...@googlegroups.com, joe.s...@gmail.com
Digikey PNs for R2x parts: (matches my bot w/ rev H board)

Male k-type thermocouple plug: 290-1985-ND
Female k-type thermocouple plug: 290-1986-ND

Extruder fan: 1053-1208-ND
Fan plug: 455-2266-ND
Fan plug crimp: 455-1135-1-ND (22-28ga), 455-2261-1-ND (26-30ga)
Fan header: 455-2247-ND

Heater extruder side plug: WM1855-ND
Heater extruder side crimps: WM2777CT-ND (20-24ga)
Heater board side plug: WM1845-ND
Heater board side crimps: WM7082CT-ND (20-24ga)

Stepper plug: 455-1162-ND
Stepper plug crimps: 455-2148-1-ND (24-28ga)

HBP board side plug: WM23609-ND
HBP board side crimps: WM3115CT-ND (16ga), WM6890CT-ND (18-24ga)
HBP plate side plug: WM18440-ND
HBP plate side crimps: WM18520-ND (16ga), WM6891CT-ND (18-24ga)