Y Offset Problem

Joe Soap

Aug 7, 2014, 1:24:26 PM8/7/14
to make...@googlegroups.com
I just replaced my 2X mightyboard which had developed a problem with the left extruder. That issue has been resolved. However I have a new issue.

I upgraded to the latest beta release of Sailfish. No problems doing that upgrade. Only now the Y offset seems to have been reset - when commanded to seek to X, Y = 0, 75 it finds its way to 0, 0 - so the Y offset hasn't been modified.

Prior to doing this upgrade I checked the X, Y and Z offsets using Makerware. They were all set to zero.

Which setting do I need to adjust in ReplicatorG to correct the Y axis?

Dan Newman

Aug 7, 2014, 1:33:42 PM8/7/14
to make...@googlegroups.com
The Home Offsets shown in the Homing/VREF tab.

1. Launch RepG 40rXX - Sailfish (download of the Sailfish Thing).
2. Select the correct Machine Type (driver) using the Machines menu.
3. Connect over USB
4. Use the Onboard Parameters menu item of the Machine Menu.
5. Select the Homing/VREF tab
6. Set the Home Offsets and Toolhead Offsets to the values you
recorded before upgrading.

Note that this is covered as Steps 1 and 1, respectively, of

http://makerbot.com/sailfish/install/

and

http://makerbot.com/sailfish/setup/

Dan

Joe Soap

Aug 7, 2014, 6:31:39 PM8/7/14
to make...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Dan. I did follow the Sailfish instructions, but I guess I missed
something.

Oddly enough, I just printed the test cubes for each extruder - and
Makerware lines up perfectly. So this issue relates to printing with S3D.
---

Dan Newman

Aug 7, 2014, 6:45:59 PM8/7/14
to make...@googlegroups.com
On 07/08/2014, 3:31 PM, Joe Soap wrote:
> Thanks Dan. I did follow the Sailfish instructions, but I guess I missed
> something.
>
> Oddly enough, I just printed the test cubes for each extruder - and
> Makerware lines up perfectly. So this issue relates to printing with S3D.

No. MBI made a "hostile" change to MakerWare so that it doesn't work well
with clone and modified bots. Specifically, they made MakerWare ignore
home offsets. MakerWare now insists that the gcode processed by it
have an explicit command to set the current position rather than use
the one recalled from the Home Offsets. (But they left in the gcode
command to recall the home offsets, but it is immediately overridden
by a G92 which defines a MakerBot-friendly position.)

So, it's MakerWare that is "different". All the other slicers are
generating Gcode in keeping with how everything used to work (and
worked for years).

Dan

Joe Soap

Aug 7, 2014, 11:17:48 PM8/7/14
to make...@googlegroups.com
Nice. I remember the battle that took place when Microsoft installed
features in Windows which made using anything but Internet Explorer to
surf the Internet difficult. Microsoft lost.

Joe Soap

Aug 8, 2014, 1:26:05 PM8/8/14
to make...@googlegroups.com
Well I've got as problem that I do not know how to resolve.

Following an extruder failure I received and installed a new
mightyboard. After replacing the mightyboard and Without carrying out
any print operation I upgraded the firmware to Sailfish. As part of that
process and following the Sailfish instructions I reviewed the settings
for offsets etc. All of those settings were zero. So there was nothing
for me to copy.

I now have a 2X which prints perfectly using Makerware. But using S3D
the prints are shifted halfway across the build plate in the Y axis
(front to back). The X axis (left to right) is fine.

It seems to me that I need to input a Y offset of 75 (or maybe -75). Is
this correct? By doing so I'm afraid that I will blow Makerware out of
the water.