Rep 2 or ...

keiksu

Aug 7, 2014, 3:19:23 AM8/7/14
to make...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

So I am gonna change out my replicator 5th gen printer.
What would you change it for? Replicator 2 or something else?
I have also had ultimaker 2 but it wasn't good. Constant jamming.

Thanks.

keiksu

Aug 7, 2014, 5:10:36 AM8/7/14
to make...@googlegroups.com
I think that rep 2 has too small print size for me.

Ryan Carlyle

Aug 7, 2014, 1:56:47 PM8/7/14
to make...@googlegroups.com
If you need a big print volume, I would recommend the Fusion F306 or the Airwolf HDx.

keiksu

Aug 7, 2014, 2:43:54 PM8/7/14
to make...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for your reply. I have also considered airwolf.

Quality is also important to me, since replicator 5th gen made so bad quality prints.
How good is the quality of airwolf? Is there less messing-around with the printer than 5th gen?
I am considering buying airwolf HD2x - is dual extruder version okay or is it still BS and bad quality? I am considering making complicated prints with water solvable material. I am wondering if airwolf is capable doing it?

keiksu

Aug 8, 2014, 10:29:59 AM8/8/14
to make...@googlegroups.com
So can anyone comment airwolf?

Jetguy

Aug 8, 2014, 11:16:13 AM8/8/14
to make...@googlegroups.com
You are asking about another brand in a MakerBot forum???

There are some threads on this here and some folks had some good results and are happy.
Just it's a bit like asking about a Chevy in a Ford group.

keiksu

Aug 8, 2014, 11:42:09 AM8/8/14
to make...@googlegroups.com
I am not some random guy looking for an another brand in makerbot forum. I currently have makerbot 5th gen but everybody here knows it does not work like it should. So why not ask from the people who had made the same choice.

Jay

Aug 8, 2014, 12:23:15 PM8/8/14
to make...@googlegroups.com
Well...there's several choices and everyone has their favorites...

I love my Replicator 2 now that I've done all the mods...I MEAN FIXED IT....it's a printing machine. I also have a Delta Orion and a Printrbot Go V2.....and have owned other printers.

Depending on your needs you might get radically different suggestions.

Small but very detailed parts? Large medium resolution? (those are two of the usual choices).

PLA only? Add ABS? Nylon? PC? T-Glase?

This might start a small flame war though...it has in the past.

Since this is a Makerbot Forum let me start with...My R2 is one of the best I've used (in my limited experience). Is it the best? No....but the software (including sailfish), the 3rd party parts, and active forums make this a serious contender.

A lot of people are talking about Craftbot...(I have 2 coming next month from Indiegogo crowd funding)

Solidoodle has a whole new ecosystem of printers coming out...

If you are looking at a Delta style machine...Boots Industries has their new one coming out....12" OD x 12" high...can go up to 3 heads and 3 different nozzles....

Ultimaker 2 is an excellent choice but more $$$...

Some are getting really good parts off even the Printrbot Metal Simple....

WHAT do you need it do ?

Jay