MB Replicator 2 Carrier Board

Paul Schaffner

Nov 21, 2015, 2:16:28 PM11/21/15
to Makerbot Users

I found if you are clutzy and work with poor lighting you can plug the cable in the printer wrong.  I should've known better.

24V to ground or 5V or something fried the carrier board for the keypad and the SD reader/connector.  The PCB traces look okay.  I recognize I may have other problems too but I'm going to take a shot and fix the carrier board.

I turned the printer on without the carrier board plugged in and heard the familiar start up tones, I think I may be in luck.

My problem is that I cannot read the melted IC to determine a relacement part number.  I read the current printers are no longer open source hardware and I cannot find a parts list or schematic.

Would anyone be able to look at a good board or documentation and tell me the part number on the IC circled in the picture?

I looked at older schematics and it may be a 8 bit shift register but I can't find a part matching the PCB footprint so I'm out of luck.

Please help if you can!!

Paul

carrier board.jpg

Paul Schaffner

Nov 25, 2015, 7:46:01 PM11/25/15
to Makerbot Users
Anyone willing to take a couple fasteners out and look at your PCB and let me know this part number?   : )

It is carrier board Rev D  - the version with the keypads on a seperate PCB.

I'm also contacting the rep who sold it to me (over a year ago).

Paul

Wim Vandeputte

Nov 27, 2015, 4:22:18 AM11/27/15
to Paul Schaffner, Makerbot Users
Hey Paul,

I've taken a picture for you

the board I have here is listed as "Carrier PCB Rev D 2012", it's MP03057 from Makerbot ($23.33). I can send you one in the mail or you can contact Makerbot direct if you can't replace the chip.

The chip has very cryptic markings, it's

ZWN

TI 9BJ
P6D1

Good luck,

Wim.

Paul Schaffner

Nov 27, 2015, 7:15:22 AM11/27/15
to Makerbot Users, paul.f.s...@gmail.com, w...@kd85.com
THANKS !!  This gives me a starting point.   I will buy the whole board if I can.  Sending a note to MB now.

Thanks again for your help.

Paul

Scott Heppell

Dec 18, 2015, 9:44:07 AM12/18/15
to Makerbot Users
We have changed a couple of those chips here where I work.  They are a common issue, I am hoping to have 10 more fixed when we get more of the chips ordered.

The chips is: TPD6E001RSFR - RSF, You can actually ask for free samples from Texas Instruments and they will send them to you.

Paul Schaffner

Dec 30, 2015, 10:58:33 AM12/30/15
to Makerbot Users
Thank you for the help.   I have ordered, received, and installed parts from Mouser.  The machine powers up  and makes it further through the power up sequence. the display displays text but then flashes. The machine repeats tones.  I suspect the mighty board and tried to debug further, then gave up and ordered a mighty board ($350+tax and shipping !).  I'm considering a side by side measurement comparison of the new and old to try and figure what is wrong with the mighty board.

Paul