Replicator 2 Affordable Lightweight and Flat GLASS BUILD PLATE w/frame

perform...@gmail.com

Feb 10, 2014, 7:55:49 PM2/10/14
to makerbot-bu...@googlegroups.com

Hello,

Long time lurker but relatively new poster here.  We're offering an affordable glass build plate system for the Replicator 2.  This is not meant to be used in heated applications.  This is NOT 3/8" glass (which some have said is too heavy and can cause problems with the stock arms).  The total thickness is identical to the stock acrylic instead of being too thick.  This is a thinner 3/16" glass and frame that together weighs almost the same as the stock acrylic.  Unless you are removing your prints with a jack-hammer, 3/16 is definitely sufficient for this application.

Glass is flat within .0015" all over.  This is regular glass (not borosilicate or tempered).  If there is enough interest in those, we can make that available as well, just post below so we can gauge interest.  Some examples:

You get:
  • (1) Flat piece of 3/16" glass
  • (1) Frame of color of your choosing
  • (1) Blue masking tape sheet pre-installed on one side of the glass

This is snap-in, ready-to-go, print right on the blue tape.  Or just flip the glass over if you wish to use hairspray or kapton film (not included).

Cost, including shipping, to lower 48 states, is $60 total (paypal right now).  Will ship to other locations but must email us an address to calculate shipping charges.

Black, blue and red available standard.  Other colors, 2-colors, and glow-in-the-dark also available for $6 extra.

Obviously this is not for everyone, as the DIYers among us can design and implement a similar solution.  But for those just wanting an easy solution for a glass build plate that just works, this is it.

Thanks for looking, and please let us know if you have any questions or comments.
-Performance 3d