Next meeting 4 March 2009 -- Disassemly, Re-use and reverse engineering!

Nick Johnson

Mar 2, 2009, 1:35:34 PM3/2/09
to makepr...@googlegroups.com
Hello Makers,

Our next meeting will take place on Wednesday, 4 March 2009. Normal
time and place: 7--9pm in East Pyne Hall, room 039.

There have been a few interesting suggestions for a topic. Ken has
one great suggestion: everyone bring in some electronic item---one
that is already broken, or that is okay to break. We'll tear them
apart, attach an oscilloscope, try to reverse engineer, and look for
opportunities for re-use. On that note, I am particularly interested
if anyone has things with solar cells on them, such as pocket
calculators.

Also, Rob asked if anyone knows something about electrolyzed water,
and is seeking someone with a chemistry background.

See you there! Bring a friend!
--
Nick Johnson

JUN...@aesop.rutgers.edu

Mar 2, 2009, 1:42:34 PM3/2/09
to makepr...@googlegroups.com
Ack! I thought for sure that I mentioned that I cannot be at the March
4th meeting. Sad to say I have many small electronics to dissect, but
won't be there with them.

In addition to a digital camera, mp3 player, 2 phones, etc. I now also
have a perfectly good flatbed scanner to take apart. I will bring them
in on the 18th, and will be anxious to hear how you all did on the 4th
with your small electronics...

Ken

Soundlabz

Mar 3, 2009, 2:41:56 PM3/3/09
to Make:Princeton
Hello,
New member here. I have a rack mountable analog/ digital synthesizer
that may be interesting. It runs on DC power and therefore is safe to
probe around inside. It consists of a CMOS chip, op amps, and some
discrete components. It is manufactured by a German company and I
cannot obtain a schematic for it but am willing to utilize it for
testing. If anyone has a logic probe that could prove to be
interesting as well. Do I need to bring anything additional to the
meeting?

Mike@Soundlabz

Nick Johnson

Mar 4, 2009, 1:14:08 AM3/4/09
to makepr...@googlegroups.com
Mike,

I think I'll bring enough tools for what we're doing: I plan to bring
multimeters, soldering irons and an oscilloscope.

The digital synth sounds fun... Have you ever tried circuit bending?

Nick
--
Nick Johnson

Soundlabz

Mar 4, 2009, 10:29:34 AM3/4/09
to Make:Princeton
Thought I had replied to this post. I have done some circuit bending.
I'll bring along a pair of headphones to listen to the synths output.
Currently it is stuck in a cycle so it has circuit bent itself. Nice
test subject because it has 8 or so potentiometers for tweaking while
under test. If anyone has a CMOS logic probe that might be interesting
as well. See you tonight.

On Mar 4, 1:14 am, Nick Johnson <nicholas.paul.john...@gmail.com>