Announcing WPOchat - A New Web Performance Twitter Chat

Jonathan Klein

Apr 8, 2011, 8:30:58 AM4/8/11
to make-the-...@googlegroups.com
Hello WPO Enthusiasts!

The interest in Web Performance Optimization is growing weekly.  Our grassroots movement is spreading beyond the Velocity Conference and the #WebPerf Meetups and is spilling onto the Web in general.  You may have noticed an increase in the use of the Twitter hashtag #WebPerf, or some very viral blog posts on mainstream blogs about website speed.  It seems that almost everyone is talking about why "Performance Matters" and how to increase the speed of the web and provide for a better user experience.

Several members of the community are proposing a monthly Twitter Chat.  If you are unaware of what a "Twitter Chat" is -  to put it simply, they are pre-organized times where like-minded folks Tweet with a pre-organized hashtag.  In our case it’s #WPOchat.  Our plan is to have the community pick a topic each month, pick a moderator or guest thought-leader and ask a series of questions about the topic.  Each question will have a number and be Tweeted by the moderator.  Everyone can then reply, retweet and more!

For example:

(First, the moderator will ask a question and include the #WPOchat hashtag so everyone can follow the chat.)

@wpo_chat    Q1: What's the status of browser support for Web Timing API? #WPOChat

(Then the participants in the chat will reply with their answer like this example below.)

@WPOenthusiast     A1: IE9 supports it, and so does Chrome. But not FireFox 4. #WPOchat

We invite you and your WPO contacts to join us for the first chat!

Time:   Thursday  April 28th  6PM ET.

Topic:  (Introductions, Questions about the state of WPO today and tomorrow)

Moderator: Jonathan Klein, Organizer of #WebPerf Meetup Boston and Coach Wei of Yottaa

If you are interested – be sure to help us out!  Tell your WPO friends and contacts!  Tweet your interest with the hashtag #WPOchat, follow @wpo_chat,  and visit or comment on the blog: http://www.wpochat.org

More Information Below:

What is #WPOchat?

#WPOchat is a NEW monthly chat on Twitter for the Web Performance Optimization Community.

Why?

The rapidly growing #Webperf worldwide community on Twitter is a lively and engaging community with Meetups (London/Paris/Boston/NYC/SF/LA/Paris), a few conferences both virtual and real world (Velocity etc.) We believe a monthly loosely organized community lead chat on Twitter will help bring the community together and support the community in general.

Who?

This is a community chat – anyone can join and participate in the conversation. We hope to have community leaders like Steve Souders and thought-leaders at commercial entities like dynaTrace, Yottaa, etc.

How?

The last Thursday of the month at 6 PM ET the community will login to Twitter and join the conversation. Each month there will be a different "topic" and a moderator and/or guest attendee (selected by the community) who will ask questions related to the topics. Participants are free to reply, re-tweet or comment on each other’s Tweets. For more information about Twitter Chats – have a look at these links:

http://swanthinks.wordpress.com/2009/08/13/the-twitter-chat-experience/
http://swanthinks.wordpress.com/2010/03/02/the-twitter-chat-schedule/

When?

Picking a time that makes sense worldwide is never easy. However it seems that 6pm Eastern Time USA makes it accessible to night owls in Europe, end of workday East coast and afternoon break on the West coast. Each chat will be about 60 minutes. The best day is probably the last Thursday each month. Rain/Shine/Holiday – we will always be on.

Website: http://www.wpochat.org/

Twitter ID: @wpo_Chat http://twitter.com/#!/wpo_chat

TwitterChat Hashtag: #WPOchat

Email: wpochat...@gmail.com

Temporary Community Leaders: Jonathan Klein, #WebPerf Meetup Boston Organizer jonathan...@gmail.com or @jonathanklein and William Toll @utollwi of Yottaa wt...@yottaa.com 201-204-9880 - We are looking for other community leaders, join us!

Please share this announcement with anyone who is interested in learning more about WPO!

-Jonathan