Questions on CSS usages

Raja

Oct 27, 2010, 8:51:55 PM10/27/10
to Make the Web Faster
Hi,

i have written below CSS classes in such a way that most commonly used
styles into separate class so that i can use it across my pages.

Ex.

CSS classes,

.fs12{font-size:12px}
.tar{text-align:right}
.fc{color:#3defce}
.fw {font-weight:bold}

sources,

I have added too many css classes into a html element. Will it affect
the page speed / page weight?. please help me on this

Thanks,
Raja

Billy Hoffman

Oct 27, 2010, 10:26:45 PM10/27/10
to make-the-web-faster
Raja,

As with most performance optimizations what does or does not decrease size or improvement performance will vary depending on the site's content and structure. Just remember that whether a fast solution is also a "good"/"correct"/maintainable solution is another story entirely.

People often forget that the C in CSS stands for Cascade. You should define common things your font-face, text-align, and font-size only one the high level elements like body and let them cascade. Only override these values when necessary. Read anything Nicole Sullivan has written about about CSS, especially her "Massive CSS mistakes" presentation.

Good luck,
Billy
--
Billy Hoffman
Founder and CEO,

Andy Davies

Oct 28, 2010, 5:09:10 PM10/28/10
to make-the-...@googlegroups.com

Have a hunt for Nicole Sullivan's (@stubornella) presentation on OP CSS.

It'll be on her blog or slideshare somewhere and should give you some good ideas.

Cheers

Andy

Jens O. Meiert

Nov 2, 2010, 1:52:55 AM11/2/10
to raja...@gmail.com, make-the-...@googlegroups.com
> .fs12{font-size:12px}
> .tar{text-align:right}
> .fc{color:#3defce}
> .fw {font-weight:bold}
>
> I have added too many css classes into a html element. Will it affect
> the page speed / page weight?. please help me on this

I, too, think that the effect on rendering speed should not be
significant—see e.g. Steve Souders’s work on selectors [1]—however you
are guaranteed to run into maintenance issues. Consider using
functional or generic ID and class names [2] (they may very well be
brief).

[1] http://www.stevesouders.com/blog/2009/03/10/performance-impact-of-css-selectors/
[2] http://meiert.com/en/blog/20090617/maintainability-guide/#toc-markup

--