Re: [make-the-web-faster:390] Digest for make-the-web-faster@googlegroups.com - 1 Message in 1 Topic

Stephen Thair

Dec 11, 2010, 2:00:31 PM12/11/10
to make-the-...@googlegroups.com
HI Tim,

Can I clarify what data you want (the title says rendering time?) and what you want to use the monitoring data for e.g. KPI reporting as that has a big impact on what you select...

(1) If you want repeatable, accurate MONITORING of your application performance so you know when (and are alerted) when your backend slows down or fails - I would use active, synthetic monitoring e.g. www.siteconfidence.com or keynote or gomez or alertsite or webmetrics etc as nauseum.

(2) If you want to constantly MEASURE the real user experience - I would use a proper RUM tool either tag-based like WebTuna www.webtuna.com or network based like Pion www.atomiclabs.com or Coradiant or Tealeaf etc

(3) if you want to TEST the performance of your application (including client-side measurements like render start time) I would automate it, either externally like http://blog.siteconfidence.com/2010/11/performance-analyser-is-live-site-wide.html or as part of your continuous integration process internally like this http://blog.dynatrace.com/2010/11/17/dynatrace-ajax-edition-2-0-is-ready-for-download/

cheers,
Steve

On Sat, Dec 11, 2010 at 3:31 PM, <make-the-web-...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

Group: http://groups.google.com/group/make-the-web-faster/topics

    Tim Franke <timtim...@googlemail.com> Dec 10 03:08PM -0800 ^

    Interesting discussion.... has anyone here used AlertFox or
    Browsermob before? Both are new services that offer real user
    monitoring for website performance at a fraction of what Gomez or
    Keynote charge. I am in the search for good performance monitoring
    for our web app.

    -Tim