New Scripts Are Up

Marci

Dec 20, 2010, 9:13:22 PM12/20/10
to Operation "make a HomestarRunner Cartoon
Hello, everybody, everybody.

I made a couple scripts of my own. (Don't worry, they're not that
different.)

This time around, I felt we should make the cartoon more story
oriented, then "hiatus" oriented. However, I think the idea from the
last version of the script can still be incorporated in an Easter Egg
of some sort (see the end of the script for possible Easter Egg
ideas...)

I know the script seems long, but it really has about as much dialogue
as the "Big Toons" normally have on the website.

The short Cool Tapes music vid I would like to incorporate would be
entirely done by me, in a different style. I would also like to help
out with the normal animation as well, but I have no idea how. I don't
know how to make the normal looking Homestar Style animation because I
am using a freeware program called Pencil. It doesn't use symbols like
other animation programs do. It's all done by hand.... I'm not sure
how to aquire flash files and all that jazz, so if someone could help
me understand, then I would help out in the animation more.

Anyway, please comment and critique, and give your ideas. Thank you
for your time.

(I apologize if I rambled a bit. ^_^' )

JKR JKR

Dec 21, 2010, 10:38:53 AM12/21/10
to Operation "make a HomestarRunner Cartoon
To do the "Big Toons" probably take both brothers at least a month, if
not longer. That's them working all the time and totally experienced,
with all the models and symbols at their fingertips. It just wouldn't
work as a team fan-project. It would take forever to get accomplished,
unless it was essentially one person doing everything and working
around the clock. Simple simple simple, that's what they beat into
your head in animation school. Keep it simple, especially when you're
doing something new. The longer and more complicated you make it, the
less likely it will ever see the light of day.

Just wanted to impart that.

As far as getting symbols, you'd have to do it illegally if you didn't
want to just redo all of them by hand in Flash (or another program). I
can't personally help with that, because I don't do that, but I know
programs exist out there that will take apart a Flash file and give
you all the assets. As far as animating in the "Homestar style" it is
monstrously easy compared to real animation. You just swap out
symbols. Takes a long time, but difficult it isn't. At all.

Marci Brubaker

Dec 21, 2010, 7:01:10 PM12/21/10
to make-a-homesta...@googlegroups.com
I'm glad to hear that you're still working on Fred the Monkey, as you said in y
--
Your logic does not inhibit me!

Marci Brubaker

Dec 21, 2010, 7:25:17 PM12/21/10
to make-a-homesta...@googlegroups.com
(Dang I think I hit the Send Button before I was finished. Sorry.)
Anyway, I understand what you mean by keeping it simple. The script could definitely use some fine tuning and condensing. This is obviously one of those dilemmas you referred to in your other post.

Regarding the animation, I just naturally assumed that everyone wanted to do it in the original "Homestar style." That sort of put me in a quandary of sorts. It's evident where this type of thing could go wrong, especially if a bunch of people are working on it.

You also made me realize that it would help more if I started assigning specific jobs. Like, one person focuses on the backgrounds, and one person does etc.... I'll try to limit the number of animators we get.

About the symbols, I actually figured you how to collect "symbols" in Pencil. It's more complicated then it would be in Adobe, but it would still work for me. I would love to use one of those "Flash Extractor" programs, but it didn't dawn on me until you said something that it's illegal... I don't think *I'll* be doing that, but I guess it's up to anyone else whether *they* wish to do that.

I can't tell you how much you imput is appreciated. Thank you.
~Marci B.

Marci Cameron

Dec 22, 2010, 3:35:19 PM12/22/10
to Operation "make a HomestarRunner Cartoon
Hot dang! This H*R Google group has been rescued from spammers! Just
read the new script and it was awesome sauce, twice! And sure, Marci
B., you can use my Cool Tapes fan song for this. It's just cool to
contribute in some small way. Anyway, since this new script is highly
superior to the previous draft from before this group came back (which
I had written), I removed said draft so that we can move forward. So,
good luck on this fan 'toon, my friends, I'm gonna be busy with the
holidays.

Marci Brubaker

Dec 22, 2010, 7:14:34 PM12/22/10
to make-a-homesta...@googlegroups.com
Thanks! Nice to hear from you again Marci C. I still think my script needs some fine tuning and condensing, but until then, I'll be attempting to gather most of the original group back together and scouting out some animators (and trying to help out with the animation as well.) And spreading some holiday cheer at home.

Feliz NaviChrismas! Have a good holiday season Marci C. ^_^

ConVito

Jan 8, 2011, 2:27:58 AM1/8/11
to Operation "make a HomestarRunner Cartoon
I'm going to post here in a possibly futile attempt to prevent this
page from fading into obscurity once again. I read the script and
loved it. It really captures the feel of a H*R toon and adds its own
little touches without sacrificing the charm of the original source.
I really hope this gets off the ground soon, as I'm really eager to
see how it turns out.

HomestarRunnerFans Unite

Jan 11, 2011, 11:26:47 PM1/11/11
to Operation "make a HomestarRunner Cartoon
Don't worry, this project hasn't gone under just yet. I've just had a
lot of tests this week (and a 4 day long visit to my grandmothers
house). Thanks again for the feedback. I'm in the process of making
the storyboards for this. I'm just going to go ahead and say it's the
official script until further notice. Just posted the "motivation vid"
on the google group's offical channel. I figured we'd get more
attention that way. It also occured to me a week ago that not everyone
is notified of Google Group activity by email, so I'm notifying people
as we speak.

Storyboards should be ready in a week or so.

This project won't die again. Not on my watch.

HomestarRunnerFans Unite

Jan 11, 2011, 11:27:58 PM1/11/11
to Operation "make a HomestarRunner Cartoon
This is Marci B., by the way. I really should remember to sign out of
the other Youtube account. ^_^;

On Jan 11, 8:26 pm, HomestarRunnerFans Unite <hsrfansun...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> > see how it turns out.- Hide quoted text -

Marci

Jan 25, 2011, 12:24:24 AM1/25/11
to Operation "make a HomestarRunner Cartoon
The storyboards are almost done. I've been busy with homework and
stuff, but I've been sure to work on them when ever I get a chance. I
just need to finish drawing the last scene. They'll probably be done
sometime around Friday. (This is Finals Week for my school, so that's
why it will take a little while.) Thanks to anyone who's listening for
their time.

~Marci B.

On Jan 11, 8:27 pm, HomestarRunnerFans Unite <hsrfansun...@gmail.com>