RE: CD is almost there...

Makar Mail

Jul 18, 2008, 4:44:36 AM7/18/08
to Makar Mail

Hi folks, it’s a while since you’ve heard from us so we thought we’d just send you a wee email to bring you up to speed with what’s happening on the Makar front.

Our next event is on the 4th August in Kilmaurs as part of the town’s Gala Week celebrations.  It takes place at 7 pm at the Weston Tavern (27 Main Street).  Tickets cost £5, which includes a buffet.  Contact the Tavern for tickets or information on 01563 538805.  We shall hope to see some of you there.

But now on to our big news….  We’re delighted to tell you that the CD project has come on in leaps and bounds.  As some of you may know, we originally laid down the voice tracks last autumn – which means, of course, that Jim was there, too.  Since then, students at Ayr College have been working on them, adding music and soundtracks and doing all the other technical bits like sound engineering and mastering.  They were able to use what they’ve been doing on the CD as part of their course, so it has worked out very well for both sides.  We owe a debt of gratitude to Ross Crombie, Jim Dorans and David Bell for all their hard work.

We are calling the CD Lip Synch.  For it, we selected 34 tracks – a mixture of some of the most requested poems plus some new material – and used an order that is reminiscent of our live poetry readings.  We’ve now done the artwork for the CD insert and so the task we’re currently working on is its commercial duplication.  That is all going according to plan, so we should be ready to launch the CD by the end of August.

As with Running Threads, we’re planning to have two launches, one in Ayr and one in Edinburgh.  As before, the West Coast venue is the Carnegie Library, where we’ll be launching the CD on Wednesday 27th August at 7 pm, while the East Coast one is the Scottish Poetry Library.  The latter event will be on Saturday 30th August at 2.30 pm.  The SPL can only accommodate 50, so you’ll need to get your name down if you want to come along to that one.  Phone them on 0131 557 2876 to reserve a place.

Other events for your diary:

Monday 22nd September when we’ll be the special guests at the monthly folk night at the Market Inn, Ayr;

Saturday 4th October at Word Power Bookshop in Edinburgh in association with Scottish Pamphlet Poetry.

We’ll give you more information about these events nearer the time (or you can check out our forthcoming events page http://groups.google.co.uk/group/makar-press/web/forthcoming-makar-events).

We hope you are all having a lovely summer and we look forward to seeing you at one of our events soon.

Best Wishes,

Michael, Rowena and Sheila

www.makarpress.co.uk

SHEILA TEMPLETON

Jul 19, 2008, 12:37:22 PM7/19/08
to sheana...@yahoo.co.uk, Makar Mail, makar-pr...@googlegroups.com
Hi Sheana

I think the time will be 12noon to 1pm on the 4th Oct in Wordpower, West Nicholson St [next to Susie's Diner] as that's the time it was for the reading in June. They are the first Sat of each month usually.

But I will check. [I am the contact person for the Scottish Poetry Pamphlet organisation]. And it will be in a Makar Mail soon.

Be great if some of your guests want to come!

Love

Sheila x

Sheana Roberts <sheana...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
Thanks so much for the info - shall look forward with expectation and delight to the CD. Not sure I'll be able to come to the poetry library but would love to if I'm here. October in Edinburgh - have a group of 14 staying here and wonder if you'd be able to let me know at this stage of time and format. I think some would be very interested.

May the sun shine on us and - yes - good summers to everyone!

Sheana Roberts

[...]

Not happy with your email address?