RE: Newsflash

Makar Mail

Dec 10, 2008, 5:30:09 AM12/10/08
to Makar Mail

Hi folks, just to let you know that Sheila’s poem My Land featured on Robbie Shepherd’s programme (The Reel Blend) on BBC Radio Scotland last Sunday.  You can listen to it online at http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00fvffp/Reel_Blend_07_12_2008/ for a few days yet.  You’ll find it about 1 hour 22 minutes into the programme.  If you prefer to hear Sheila reading it herself, then you might like to know it’s one of the poems featured on our new CD, Lip Synch, which you can buy directly from our website.  It would make a great Christmas present!  We’ll even wrap it for you and send it direct, if you wish…

Rowena will be reading at the Scottish Poetry Pamphlet Party and Fair in Edinburgh this evening (sorry, we meant to give you a bit more notice!). She’ll be reading from her brand new pamphlet Comin Oot in the Wash which is comin oot today!  This new collection is all in Scots (although it does come with a glossary).  It hasn’t been added to the Makar website yet, but you can purchase it from Rowena’s (www.rowenamlove.co.uk) already.

We hope you all have a wonderful festive season and we look forward to seeing you at some of our events in 2009.

Best Wishes,

Michael, Rowena and Sheila

www.makarpress.co.uk

CHRISTMAS

POETRY PAMPHLET PARTY & FAIR

www.scottish-pamphlet-poetry.com

in liaison with the Callum Macdonald Memorial Award and its administrators, the National Library of Scotland.

Wednesday 10th December 2008 – 6.30 to 9.00pm

NATIONAL LIBRARY of SCOTLAND

Phase 2 Lecture Room, Causewayside Building ,

33 Salisbury Place, Edinburgh

Free entry, wine, mince pies, readings,

poetry pamphlets and cards to buy.

In an atmosphere of Christmas celebration poets and publishers display and read samples of their work. There is plenty of opportunity for browsing, chatting and buying pamphlets…

Christmas presents with a difference. All welcome.

This Year’s Special Features:

Lucky Dip Pamphlet Bran-tub.

We'll be selling tickets for this at £1 a dip. This is to raise a little money for Scottish Pamphlet Poetry and to get the stall-holders' pamphlets out to the widest audience. We would like you to donate at least two and not more than five pamphlets, one being your most recent pamphlet, the other(s) taken from your past publications. Please bring them with you and hand them to Anne Clarke or Tony Lawrence. Make sure to wrap them in suitably festive paper.  Thank you!

Gravemaker-Scott, designers and letterpress printers, will be bringing their portable Adana handpress and will demonstrate its use by printing a short poem on a postcard for the audience.