Problem with Viola view

Jenny Empawi

Mar 18, 2024, 5:13:21 AMMar 18
to Biociphers
Hello, I have about 356261 rows of delta psi output. How long does it take to run viola view? I tried multiple time with 8 cores and 8G each but the process stopped by itself without any error.

San Jewell

Mar 25, 2024, 1:05:46 PMMar 25
to Biociphers
Hi Jenny,

This can depend on multiple factors, though the biggest one is the number of voila files provided at once. Are you increasing the core count with -j8 ? The indexing process will only need to be run once on one set of files. There are two ways you can speed it up as well:

--skip-type-indexing will disable the types checkboxes on the index page but significantly speed up the indexing speed.
--memory-map-hdf5 will load the voila files into memory for processing which is a good option if you have the spare memory on your computer to support it. You'll also need to save the index file separately if you do this with --index-file <some path>

Let me know if any of these help, otherwise, feel free to post the screenshot of exactly what the output looks like so I may provide a mode detailed suggestion.

Thanks!
-San

Jenny Empawi

Mar 26, 2024, 12:12:29 PMMar 26
to Biociphers
Hello San,
It worked! However, I have encounter key error when trying to view the output.

I figured out the annotation file I am using has “gene:” in front of the gene_id that caused this issue. I compared to the example annotation file and found out it doesn’t have “gene:” in front. Would it be possible to change the name in splicegraph and deltapsi.voila instead of in annotation file and re-run it again?

Screenshot 2024-03-26 at 11.41.17 PM.png

Ref in example:

Screenshot 2024-03-26 at 11.55.37 PM.png

Ref that I used from ensemble:

Screenshot 2024-03-27 at 12.11.15 AM.png

Thank you for your help!

Best,
Jenny Empawi

San Jewell

Mar 27, 2024, 9:32:12 AMMar 27
to Biociphers
Hi Jenny,

I am a bit confused here: the example ref names will only be used if you provide the example ref during build -- the program does not automatically insert the "gene:" prefix. (or remove it) The only way to generate splicegraph.sql with/without these strings is if the build was run with that reference file. It sort of sounds like something might be happening here where a majiq/voila file from one build was being used in view with splicegraph from another build.

Can you provide the commands that you use for the workflow? (build, deltapsi, view) so I can see if it looks like anything is amiss?

Thanks!
-San