Download all HTMLs for Voila View?

Katie Saund

Oct 18, 2022, 4:20:59 PM10/18/22
to majiq_voila
Does there exist a programmatic way to save all of the voila view html pages (without the dynamic features)?

The previous replies I've seen on the forum recommend either going to the gene view and clicking the save icon or using a plug-in tool like SingeFile on an individual page.

I'm asking about an automated features because (1) It's not scalable to manually save each page of results by hand and (2) it's also not scalable to have a separate server running for each of my different voila view outputs when I have many different splicing experiments to view.

Thank you,
Katie

San Jewell

Oct 20, 2022, 10:04:20 AM10/20/22
to majiq_voila
Hi Katie,

As the browser rendering engine is required to display the gene pages as seen, there is not a practical method to get the same view as seen there without using a browser. (Even without dynamic features, javascript is still required to construct the initial plots and figures.) I believe that the only viable method to do something similar to what you are asking would involve using some form of browser automation/web scraping software, like selenium. (https://selenium-python.readthedocs.io/)

Theoretically voila could have a mode to launch a server and then run a separate process which would run selenium and iterate through some subset of pages to render and save them. However, on initial consideration, I think such a mode is clunky to include in a software and falls outside of the usual intended use case. Perhaps this could be included as a separate snippet / recommendation outside of voila itself, but I don't have a good grasp of how to release it as a production version software. It might make more sense as a script that end users can reference and tweak to their needs.

What do you think? I am open to suggestions.
-San