Accessing Viola html without using local host

George Tollefson

Oct 27, 2021, 1:18:59 PM10/27/21
to majiq_voila
Hi,

I am attempting to visualize and view the deltapsi results using the Viola view command. I see in the manual that previously, writing html output was available. I don't see that feature in the up to date documentation on the website tutorials page. I do see the Viola view command which hosts the html document locally, but I am not able to access it because I am running Viola on a remote server that I don't have root access to and can't access the local host. Is there a feature that I can use to save the html output for a document that I can transfer to my local computer to view?

Thank you,
George

Paul Jewell

Nov 1, 2021, 10:39:39 AM11/1/21
to majiq_voila
Hi George,

There is no direct to HTML command as the browser is used for rendering the results, and they are dynamic, requiring the server to be running at least for initial generation.

There are many ways to still be able to run voila on a remote machine and view it locally. For example, you can create an SSH tunnel to view it.

For example:

On the server:
$ voila view splicegraph.sql file.psi.voila -p 8888 --host "$HOSTNAME"
On another terminal on your local computer:
$ ssh -N -L 3000:<hostname of server>:8888 user@server -p 22

Leave the second terminal open, it keeps the tunnel running, then just go to your local browser and go to:

Let me know if you have success with this.

Another solution would be to access some kind of VNC or x2go if that is available on the server.