Failed Majiq installation due to python error.

Sherif Rashad

Jan 13, 2022, 3:39:53 AM1/13/22
to majiq_voila
Hello, I tried installing Majiq on a new Ubuntu machine but it failed.
The output is:
(env) (base) nsg@NSG-Analysis:~$ pip install git+https://bitbucket.org/biociphers/majiq_academic.git/voila
Collecting git+https://bitbucket.org/biociphers/majiq_academic.git/voila
  Cloning https://bitbucket.org/biociphers/majiq_academic.git/voila to /tmp/pip-req-build-51jdn5h5
  Running command git clone --filter=blob:none -q https://bitbucket.org/biociphers/majiq_academic.git/voila /tmp/pip-req-build-51jdn5h5
  warning: filtering not recognized by server, ignoring
  Resolved https://bitbucket.org/biociphers/majiq_academic.git/voila to commit 85d07819f55b182c830bdc69296c1485f51b3100
  Installing build dependencies ... done
  Getting requirements to build wheel ... done
  Preparing metadata (pyproject.toml) ... done
Processing /tmp/pip-req-build-51jdn5h5/voila
  Installing build dependencies ... done
  Getting requirements to build wheel ... done
  Preparing metadata (pyproject.toml) ... done
Processing /tmp/pip-req-build-51jdn5h5/majiq
  Installing build dependencies ... done
  Getting requirements to build wheel ... done
  Preparing metadata (pyproject.toml) ... done
ERROR: Package 'rna-majiq-meta' requires a different Python: 3.7.6 not in '>=3.8'

I did setup Majiq and use it before on a virtual machine without issues. Not sure what:s happening here.
I have python 3.8.1 set up.

Paul Jewell

Feb 10, 2022, 2:33:53 PM2/10/22
to majiq_voila
Hello,

Based on your prefix (env) (base) , it looks like you may have both a conda environment, as well as a second python environment activated. One of them may have a built in python version earlier than 3.8. I would recommend running $ deactivate and/or $ conda deactivate , once or twice until you have no (env) before your terminal. Then proceed with the standard setup steps using a usual python virtual environment:

$ python3.8 -m venv env_majiq
$ source env_majiq/bin/activate

Please let me know if you have success using this approach.

Thanks!