Preview of the new edition - "What on Earth is a Mainframe?"

Quasar Chunawala

Aug 18, 2013, 6:33:23 AM8/18/13
to mainfr...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,

The preview of the new edition of the book - What on Earth is a Mainframe is here. In putting together an outline of this book, I've used many sources. I have referred to books, journals, current trends in IT, media articles.

The book sports a fresh look, with several illustrations, examples and to-do-exercises to make learning and working on System Z (IBM's brand new mainframe server) exciting. Areas such as JCL, application programming(COBOL) and database systems(DB2) have been treated comprehensively. We've added a whole new chapter on how cloud on the System Z is creating waves.

I would like to bust a myth - mainframes aren't dead yet! Enterprise applications continue to run on mainframe servers. Today's sexy new web interfaces are linked through to repackaged systems on the mainframe, that does all the serious back-end processing - often running COBOL-CICS code written 30 years back. The System Z is continuous evolving. Let's drop that legacy label!

The book is all set to launch on 1st December, 2013. I would really appreciate your diverse thoughts on this. I've attached a free sample preview of the book along with this e-mail.

Thanks and have a fantastic week ahead!

Quasar C.
What on earth is a Mainframe - Sample Chapter for preview.pdf

SRINATH SANTHANAM

Apr 8, 2020, 12:41:00 AM4/8/20
to mainfr...@googlegroups.com
Hi ,

Anyone have this book , please share ?

Joanna Golenia

Apr 8, 2020, 1:28:29 AM4/8/20
to Mainframes 360
Hi,
I don't know how advanced you are in the world on Mainframe, but I have read it and in this book you will find really only the really basic knowledge. Everyone who works with MF for some time already knows this. Don't have this book to share though because I have borrowed it in a paper version from someone I am not in contact with anymore.

On Sun, Aug 18, 2013 at 6:33 AM Quasar Chunawala <quasar.c...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

SRINATH SANTHANAM

Apr 16, 2020, 6:58:33 PM4/16/20
to Mainframes 360