Folk News Sept '14

Jeff Raymond

Sep 11, 2014, 6:26:47 PM9/11/14
to mainefo...@googlegroups.com
Howdy Folks,
whenever life circumstances change so that I get a little time &/or energy I say: “Now I can write the folk news”.  Now all I need is to find some funny chickens.

MOFGA’s Common Ground Fair is approaching & there’s plenty of bowl turning going on here so life is good. This year I’ll be showing in the big craft tent along with Evelyn’s wood burned panels, her wood burning will also adorn my bowls.
We are planning another guerilla contradance at the fair, maybe Friday Night, definitely Saturday night, bring instruments.
The weather is settling down nicely, always a crap shot by fair weekend. Kinda hafta pack for two seasons, long johns & sun hats. Hot cocoa & Ice tea. All part of the fun.

THE Family Dance resumes at the Second Saturday Topsham Contradance, musicians may join the band & get $1 off the admission of the contra.
My friend Dave Eisenstader will be calling Topsham & also in Lewiston the night before. I first met him at the Nelson NH Monday Night contra (attending that should be on everyone’s life list) & first saw him call his first dances at BurningMan (another one for the list) in the Nevada desert. Wicked good right off the bat, he has only gotten better with time. The tent I had out there has not been unpaked since I returned... That was a few years ago. Perhaps I should dig it out & extract a bag of playa dust to see if it adds to the magic.

Also at the dance you may find a chance to purchase an item you lost at the dance! Well, if you know it’s yours you can negotiate. Left overs will be going to Goodwill.

One final note, I've joined up on mailchimp. IF I can learn how to make that work this list might just move over there. Input anyone?

Hope to see you all in Topsham Saturday night, Be well, Jeff

Visit DEFFA.ORG for more stuff

Friday, September 12th

Brunswick  International Folk Dancing.   Music and dance from the Balkans, Israel, northern Europe, and around the globe. Fridays, 6:30, at People Plus, 35 Union St., one block west of Maine St. Donation $8 ($5 for students, seniors). Dances are taught. No partner needed. All are welcome. Info: 729-7402 or brennan.mk(at)gmail.com.

Lewiston  Contradance with Muisette and calling by David Eisenstader.   The Freewill Folk Society is pleased to kick off the dancing season on Friday, September 12th, at Bates College with Muisette (John Cote and Steve Muise) and calling by David Eisenstader. In the Muskie Archives (70 Campus Avenue, Lewiston ME) , beginner's lesson at 7:30, dancing from 8pm to 11pm. No experience necessary.  Questions? Email freewi...@gmail.com.

Saturday, September 13th

Topsham  Music by Henry Road with Caller Dave Eisenstadter.   Topsham Grange, 47 Pleasant St. Take 295 Exit 31 onto 196 East, go 1 mile, turn Right on 201/Maine St, go less than 1/2 mile to a left turn on Pleasant St, and there it is. Contras and more, most dances taught. Bring clean shoes for dancing! Bring water! Family Dance 6:00 ($3/$12), Finger-Food Potluck 7:00, Beginner session 7:30, Dance 8:00-11:00. $10/$7 Students & Seniors.  Info: 233-4325, fidd...@yahoo.com deffa.org, contradancetopsham.wordpress.com and find us on Facebook.

Farmington  Contradance with Twisted Strings, John McIntire calling.   Farmington Grange, 126 Bridge St. West Farmington. All dances taught. 8-10:30pm. Evening dance: $6/$15 family max. Don't miss the family dance this month from 6:30-7:30pm with an all comers band. Adults $2/children $1. Family dance music provided by All-Comers Band - bring your instrument and a snack to share at the 7:30 break. All welcome. No partner necessary. Info (207) 491-9928 or da...@starleft.org, www.starleft.org.

Monson  Contradance with Dudley Laufman.   The Finn Hall, Rte. 15. Traditional New England "barn" dances with superb callers & musicians. Divine homemade desserts. All ages welcome - dances taught. 7:30-10:30pm. $8/adult, & family rates. 6:30pm, free international dance instruction w/Mike Levinsky.  Info: Alexandra Conover Bennett 997-3639.

Orono  Contradance with Marsh Island Band.   Join us for our 35th consecutive season of Contra Dances in Orono. We are still at the Keith Anderson Community Center on the Benoch road in Orono. Beginner lessons at 7:30 Dance at 8:00. All ages welcome all dances taught. Come joins us for our 33rd season of contra dancing in Orono. Info: marshis...@gmail.com, facebook, or call 207 884 8663.

Sunday, September 14th

Bangor  Second Sunday mostly Irish open session at Geaghan's Irish Pub.   Second Sunday mostly Irish open session at Geaghan's Irish Pub. 5 to 7PM. Bring your instruments and join in, or simply drop in for an early evening of informal Irish pub music.   For more information and session tunes visit http://www.acadiatradschool.com/AcadiaTradSchool-SessionTunes.html.
Waterville  Sacred Harp Singing.   First Baptist Church, 1 Park St. The shapenote singing is primarily from the The Sacred Harp which consists of hymns, fuging tunes, anthems, and other songs in a style rooted in Colonial New England. Books are available for loan or purchase. 2-5 p.m. The singing is a free, participatory event, not a performance. Info: 873-4134 or email Watervillesingings(at)mainesacredharp.org.

Wednesday, September 17th

Stockton Springs  Concert by George Skala, preceded by open mic.   This exciting new monthly series is held at the Sandy Point Community Hall at 684 US Rt. 1. It's only 15 minutes from Belfast. From May through October on every third Wednesday there will be an open mic at 6:30 followed by a featured performer. George Skala is an accomplished singer/songwriter from Stockton Springs. Admission to the concert and open mic is on a sliding scale from $3 to $10, with children under 18 free. Info: 567-4044 or davandf...@gmail.com.