Maine Folk News March 27, 2013

Jeff Raymond

Mar 27, 2013, 10:06:19 PM3/27/13
to mainefo...@googlegroups.com

Folk News March 27th

Howdy Folks,

the festival was a blast & Alima ran about like a wild wolf pup till kidnapped by friends at six pm on Saturday after which I could do what I wished. I jammed a bit & then came down with a whopper of a cold.

Almost recovered now, lets do it again!

Saw an article on improving one's quality of life the other day written by an expert. It pretty much said take time out to smell the flowers & be happy.

People get paid to say things like this?

Also on the list was to sit down & make a list of all the wonderful things you have. I do not think they meant expresso machine here.

Making lists often make me UNhappy because they are usually “to DO” lists not “to ENJOY” lists.

Counting one's blessings is nothing new but the writer suggests for happiness to be sustainable the blessings being counted ought to be simple.

Well, simple gifts ain't new either (since 1848 in fact) & the expert suggests further that one give up things that are causing stress in your life. (Duh)?

I don't think that a happy dance was mentioned but clearly a rousing song & dance would round off the list well.

There you have it, be a hippie, you'll be fine.

Blow up ur TV, move to the country...

Be well, Jeff

Wednesday, 27th March FULL Sap, Crow, Lenten, as well as full Crust & full Worm, (depending on latitude) MOON, 10:27:18 am

THURSDAY 3/28 PORTLAND, at UNO at the Maine Mall 7:30-8:15pm. “The Bloomers” are featured in the songwriter's showcase (which runs 7-11pm every Thurs) @. Seriously! The Mall! You can bring your kids

Friday, March 29th

Camden  Contradance with Adam and Jaige and caller Chrissy Fowler.   High Mountain Hall - 5 Mountain St. (a.k.a. Rte. 52 ). Dance 7:30-10:30 P.M. 1/2 HR. Lesson at 7:00 w/ Chrissy Fowler. $12 in advance, $14 at the door. Tickets available at Zoot Coffee and HAVII in Camden. All ages welcome/under 12 free. Portion of proceeds to benefit The Seton School. Presented by High Mountain Hall & Grand Banks Entertainment. Call 236-0003 or email: highmoun...@gmail.com.

Portland  Contra dance with Soupbone, calling by Dugan Murphy.   Mayo Street Arts, 10 Mayo Street Portland. 8PM to 11PM. Bring clean shoes for dancing. Beginners lesson at 7:30. March dance is 5th Friday so as not to conflict with DEFFA; no dance in April; fourth Saturday dances will resume in May. For more information, see www.mayostreetarts.org or contact Dugan Murphy at du...@duganmurphy.com or 776-5050.

Winter Harbor  Cribstone Bridge.   Original, traditional and progressive bluegrass music. Last Friday Coffee House in Hammond Hall. No reservations and great desserts! Presented by Schoodic Arts for All.  7:30 p.m. Doors open at 6:30. Suggested donation for this event will be ten dollars /under 12, free. For further info, call 963-7670, 963-2569, or go to www.schoodicartsforall.org/.

CAPE ELIZABETH, 8-11pm, The Bloomers @ The Local Buzz. 333
Ocean House Road, Cape Eliz. http://www.capelocalbuzz.com/

Saturday, March 30th

Dexter  The Abbott Hill Ramblers. Church Street Coffee House, UU Church, Church Street, Dexter, ME. 7:00 to 8:00.   Info: 924-3925.

North Yarmouth  2nd Annual 317 Main Contra Dance, with the 317 Main Contra Dance Band and caller Maggie Robinson.   7:00pm Desserts and Beverages to share, 7:30-9:00pm Contra dance! Wescustogo Hall, 475 Walnut Hill Road (Rt 115), North Yarmouth. Suggested Donation: $10 per person or $20 per family.  Info: 233-4325, fidd...@yahoo.com.

Thomaston  Contradance with Rock the Boat and Kim Roberts calling.   Special fifth Saturday dance. Thomaston Academy, Route One just east of Thomaston village center. Only $8, young children free, that 8 pm. Open to Everyone. Families Welcome. No Experience Necessary. Sponsored by Thomaston Public Library FMI, 832-5584, 701-7015, wri...@midcoast.com or look for us on Facebook!

Vassalboro  Bunny Hop Contra with John McIntire and Velocipede.   East Vassalboro Grange Hall, Main Street(Route 32), East Vassalboro. Fifth Saturday Dance Series. All dances begin with Pot luck at 6:30 pm Dance 7:30 - 10:00. No partner necessary, beginners welcome, all dances called. Students $6.00, adults $8.00 or $20 Family of four. Questions call 207-923-4216.

Wednesday April 3rd

Portland, Irish Music Night at Blue; Don Roy Band, 7:30pm Concert,  9pm Session portcityblue.com

South Carthage Skye Theatre Andrea Beaton @ 7:00 pm $15.00 http://www.necelticarts.com/