Elka Schumann's wake, singing and obituary

Chris Holley

Aug 3, 2021, 3:32:24 PMAug 3
to Maine Sacred Harp Singings
I posted a notice of this on Facebook this morning but just realized I had neglected to post it to the Maine Sacred Harp list. I received this email yesterday by way of our good Vermont friends  Kerry Cullinan and Anna Mays. The wake and singing are tonight Aug 3rd at the Bread and Puppet Farm in Glover VT.  Sorry for the very late notice.

I know many of you sang with Elka at Vermont and Quebec singings.  Elka led a wide variety of lessons over the years.   I see from FASOLA  that Sweet Prospect (65),  All is well (122) and Religion Is A Fortune (319) were favorites of hers

  I’m writing to let you know that Elka Schumann of Bread and Puppet passed away yesterday. There is a wake tomorrow culminating in what the theater is hoping will be a huge shape-note sing from 5-7pm at the Bread and Puppet farm. I’m helping to spread the word, and I thought you might have the contacts of many shape-note singers in the Burlington area. All are welcome to come sing in Elka’s honor, and people should know that it’s an open wake

I had not realized, before reading the attached obituary, that Elka was Scott Nearing's (of the Brooksville Maine  Helen and Scott Nearings),  granddaughter.

Elka will be much missed in many different,  yet connected, communities.