Upcoming Online Computer Mapping Courses at UMaine at Machias

Tora Johnson

Jul 30, 2016, 3:56:25 PM7/30/16
to ACTEM:Assoc. of Computer Technology Educators of Maine, mlt...@lists.maine.gov, mlti...@lists.maine.gov, MLTI_M...@lists.maine.gov, maine-gis...@googlegroups.com
Dear Colleagues,

We still have room in our fall online and hybrid geographic information systems (GIS) courses at UMaine at Machias! For teachers who have been using computer mapping tools in the classroom such as ArcGIS and Google Earth, this is a great opportunity to dig deeper and develop curriculum for your students while gaining college credits. Please pass the word!

We're offering our introductory GIS course, GIS 230 as a hybrid with three on-campus Saturday sessions. If you've already taken a GIS course or two, you might be interested in our remote sensing course, GIS 420. See descriptions below. To run the professional software provided, you will need to have or be able to access a computer with a Windows operating system (7, 8, 8.1 or 10).

If you plan to just take a course or two at UMM, you can call the UMM registrar to enroll at 207-255-1223-- no application required. If you're interested in our degree or certificate programs, learn more at https://machias.edu/gis-program.html.

Any questions? Drop me a line!

Tora

GIS 230 GIS Applications I (May be taken at the 400-level for grad students)- Hybrid: All online plus three required on-campus Saturday sessions.
Understanding the fundamentals of a GIS through lecture, readings and computer activities.  Students will learn to use a specific GIS software system and to define and complete a simple GIS project using existing data.  This computer-intensive course includes a detailed discussion of what a GIS is, why GIS is being increasingly used today, sample applications, basic map concepts, how geographic and descriptive data are stored in the computer, and the steps in a typical GIS project.  Project discussions will focus on defining project objectives, building and managing the digital database, identifying the needed data, locating and acquiring the data in digital form, performing the analysis, and presenting results.

GIS 420 Remote Sensing and Image Analysis- All online
This course introduces remote sensing technologies used in mapping, with an emphasis on satellite imagery, aerial imagery, and lidar.  Using industry standard software and imagery, students learn basic image analysis for oceanographic modeling, land cover change detection, climate analysis and similar applications.  The course combines lecture, discussion and mapping exercises which cover the remote sensing technologies and image formats, the physics of light and optics, potential sources of error, analytical methods and applications of remote sensing in a variety of fields.  The semester culminates in a final project. Prerequisites:  GIS 230 and GIS 330, or permission of instructor.
Tora Johnson, PhD
Director/ Assistant Professor
GIS Service Center & Laboratory, Torrey 223
University of Maine at Machias
tjoh...@maine.edu / to...@svbetsy.com
(207) 255-1214

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But in practice, there is."  - source unknown

Like the UMM GIS Program on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/ummgis
Like the UMM Science Division on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/ummscience/